UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

A plant to fall in love with

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

A plant to fall in love with Empty
PostSubject: A plant to fall in love with   A plant to fall in love with Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 9:13 pm

Ok, I'm in love! Total heads-over-heels for a little dry bulb I threw in a tank seven days ago - that has now grown leaves at 5". From what I've been reading - it's a tough and easy plant that even mbunas won't eat. All it needs is a good loose substrate and bright light.

What plant do you ask? crinum thaianum, or water onion. A little unoticed bulb that comes in those cheap bulb packets. It will hit up to 60cm. It will grow flowers. It can handle a wide range of pH and temperature. It is...... Perhaps the perfect background plant (or only plant in a cichlid tank) for those of us who like them 'easy'... No CO2 system needed!

So now I'm on the hunt for more little dry bulbs. Anyone have some spares they want to sell? rock on2 Italian
Back to top Go down
TanyaQ2000
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
TanyaQ2000

Favorite Fish: : Discus, mollies, dojos & oscars

PostSubject: Re: A plant to fall in love with   A plant to fall in love with Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 9:26 pm

worthlesswopic
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: A plant to fall in love with   A plant to fall in love with Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 9:34 pm

[img]A plant to fall in love with Crinum10[/img]

(stock picture from google)
Back to top Go down
TanyaQ2000
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
TanyaQ2000

Favorite Fish: : Discus, mollies, dojos & oscars

PostSubject: Re: A plant to fall in love with   A plant to fall in love with Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 10:43 pm

thank you......I like it, will have to find these guys
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

PostSubject: Re: A plant to fall in love with   A plant to fall in love with Icon_minitime1/3/2011, 12:06 am

everytime I get bulbs out of those packages they always go bad on me and rot cursing
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: A plant to fall in love with   A plant to fall in love with Icon_minitime1/3/2011, 1:33 am

I agree onion plants are awesome...Side note if you have tem in with fish that sift thru the gravel might want to put them in a pot so the bulb and roots do not get jostled too much(small pot cut the bottom out lay on substrate)
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: A plant to fall in love with   A plant to fall in love with Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 11:55 am

Less than two weeks since throwing the bulb in the tank. It's now 3" above the surface. Estimating about 1-2" of growth per day. Did just buy two more bulbs. They weren't as healthy looking as the first - but the best looking of all the bulbs. Planted them last night. Keep you up on how they do.

Thinking about leaving this one in this tank since its doing so well. Let it multiply as much as it can over the summer. Can't believe no one sells these as plant bunches!

[img]A plant to fall in love with Water_10[/img]
Back to top Go down
kinsol
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
kinsol

PostSubject: Re: A plant to fall in love with   A plant to fall in love with Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 12:01 pm

Hmmm! maybe there is a chance for me to have plants lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A plant to fall in love with   A plant to fall in love with Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 6:07 pm

My lfs carry's them.... that's one of those plants that I kill. I can have the 'hard to grow' stuff go wild and the 'hard to kill'.... well I kill it lol!
But ya its a cool plant, looks and smells like an onion!
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: A plant to fall in love with   A plant to fall in love with Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 9:30 pm

Had to move the onion to the back of the tank. MY OH MY THE ROOTS ON THIS BAD BOY!!!!!!!

The two new ones felt nice and firm when I shifted them as well. Another one of that second set of bulbs, an aponogeton, is already shooting a green shoot up in my feeder fish holding tank.... Looks like it'll become another planted tank in the window!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A plant to fall in love with   A plant to fall in love with Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A plant to fall in love with
Page 1 of 1