UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

3d background is finished

Go down 
+26
CoutureWest
jessecichlidguy
cwillis
mike205
august&jake
jeaninel
istrober
svaha
VAMPY
BLimon
thebanker
fishyj
Ghoulish_chaos
CajunGator
bluestarfh
R2 Ranch
micahsutton
philuponthepho
bmrdixon
Jwerner2
germanreds
MIKEJ0226
Holey Rock of Texas
KMX
chevy350
MasRoberts9
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MasRoberts9
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
MasRoberts9

3d background is finished - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/22/2009, 9:41 am

First topic message reminder :

like the title says my background is just about finished. it has gone through one full day with water and the pH seems fine. I guess the paint or something is keeping things from leaching into the water column. Im pretty excited. i think ill move it inside today and fill it up and let the water circulate via power head one more day(if i can be that patient). I was horrible about taking picture throught the process. I basically just have a list of materials and some before and after pics. so i picked up a

4'x8' sheet of 1" thich insulation foam (the pink stuff) @ home depot,
5 tubes of GE 1 clear silicone @walmart,
1 can great stuff (gaps and cracks) @ home depot,
4 cans of krylon fusion spray paint (forest green, satin black, some blue color, and a metallic black) @ walmart,
1 bag of quikcrete the sandmix @home depot.
1 plastic gutter guard

i already had paint brushes and knives for carving. i used a 4' level and square to make sure my base was square and level (redundant i know), and i used some gatorade bottles (that i cut the tops off of) to mix the concrete in.

I am not extremely artistic so carving this thing was a bit stressful at times. I didnt want to make it look crappy, since its a pretty permenant fixture in the tank now, and i couldnt keep the image of what i wanted in my head long enough to carve it out lol.

all in all im happy, I really like the character from the great stuff so i didnt concrete it. I just painted it. I really liked the character i got from the sand mix too, but when i do this again i will either do the whole thing using just great stuff (no concrete at all) or i will concrete everything. I may go ahead and concrete over the great stuff... i dont know yet. i think it will depend on how it looks with the lights and canopy on.

Last edited by MasRoberts9 on 9/9/2009, 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
MasRoberts9
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/9/2009, 10:01 am

actually, i have a bunch of supplies if you need something.
Back to top Go down
germanreds
Private First Class
Private First Class
germanreds

Favorite Fish: : Tropheus Duboisi Maswa's

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/9/2009, 10:05 am

wow that would be great. it is actually kinda hard to find the right kind of styro foam around here. its like they only put it on the shelfs when it is time for kids to do science fair projects. none of the local hardware stores have it or home depot. I mainly need Styrofoam. Let me get my thoughts collected and i will pm you on the specifics. thanks.
Back to top Go down
MasRoberts9
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
MasRoberts9

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/9/2009, 10:23 am

oh wow you arent local. let me find a link for you.
Back to top Go down
MasRoberts9
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
MasRoberts9

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/9/2009, 10:31 am

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=14542-46086-121071&lpage=none

hopefully this link works for you. the have a variety of thicknesses, basically you just silicone layers togather. i got mine for like $12 this way. a 4'x8' sheet was more than enough for a 75 gallon tank. but i went back and bought more sheets because I was anticipating having more tanks to do.
Back to top Go down
MasRoberts9
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
MasRoberts9

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/9/2009, 10:32 am

oh... home depot carries it too, but for some reason i couldnt find it on their website.
Back to top Go down
Jwerner2
Private
Private
Jwerner2

Favorite Fish: : Alto Comps.

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/18/2009, 8:02 am

Nice job! In pics it looks all black. I want to do a all black Obsidian BG next.

I ended up using the Terra Cotta concrete dye in my 46 and wasnt so pleased. After I added some multi colored river rock/coble it looked 100% better though.

It turned out much more red than the label says. I was going for a Mohave mud red look with mine.
Back to top Go down
bmrdixon
Private First Class
Private First Class
bmrdixon

Favorite Fish: : Mixed african cichlids in a 125gal tank...pool filter sand substrate...about 15 ceramic cichlid stones

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/13/2009, 11:22 am

Check Out mine.....It killed 12 fish when i first put it in so i took it out and soaked it a few days now it awesome and no dead fish

3d background is finished - Page 2 P1010062
3d background is finished - Page 2 P1010061
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/13/2009, 11:36 am

Very nice. There is going to be some breeding in there for sure. 3d background is finished - Page 2 393849
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/13/2009, 11:37 am

Badass! What fish do you have in there>
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2009, 1:01 am

bmrdixon wrote:
Check Out mine.....It killed 12 fish when i first put it in so i took it out and soaked it a few days now it awesome and no dead fish

3d background is finished - Page 2 P1010062
3d background is finished - Page 2 P1010061

were did you get those cichlid stones at?
Back to top Go down
micahsutton
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
micahsutton

Favorite Fish: : Golden Nugget Pleco, Lemon Jake, Red Top Lwanda, Aulonocara Baenschi, Otopharynx Lithobates, and Frontosa's.

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2009, 2:51 pm

Get the stones here they are cheapest that i can find:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21383
Back to top Go down
micahsutton
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
micahsutton

Favorite Fish: : Golden Nugget Pleco, Lemon Jake, Red Top Lwanda, Aulonocara Baenschi, Otopharynx Lithobates, and Frontosa's.

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2009, 3:51 pm

Tim that is amazing i really want to give this a shot now... i will be using your design if you don't mind
Back to top Go down
R2 Ranch
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
R2 Ranch

Favorite Fish: : Any that belong to me.

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/4/2009, 8:03 am

Great Job! 3d background is finished - Page 2 393849
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/5/2009, 9:18 am

micahsutton wrote:
Tim that is amazing i really want to give this a shot now... i will be using your design if you don't mind

yea it looks good but it wasnt my design :) i just quoted someone
Back to top Go down
bluestarfh
Private First Class
Private First Class
bluestarfh

Favorite Fish: : Flowerhorn and rare cichlids

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/27/2010, 2:00 pm

thats really cool
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/2/2010, 10:54 pm

Anyone try building one of these lately???? Please share pics and progress!!
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/2/2010, 10:57 pm

not me. it seems like fun tho.
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/3/2010, 2:02 am

Love the 3-d backgrounds.
Back to top Go down
fishyj
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/5/2010, 12:34 pm

I should try one on my empty 45! (with out the wife knowing of course)
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/5/2010, 3:57 pm

Im trying to find a source for some of the thicker styrofoam. Im talking 12" thick. I seen some on a jobsite i was at a couple weeks ago, but they didn't want to get rid of it,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/25/2010, 10:43 am

I've been collecting different types of styrofoam for an ancient ruin scene. I figure PVC pipes for the columns coated in cement but haven't figured that one out yet. If and when I start I wil take pics of the project.
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

Favorite Fish: : *In my 10g Tank: 3 Lemon Tetras, 2 Zebra Danios, 3 Bleeding Heart Tetras and 1 Pleco.
*In my 55g Tank: 1-1" Gold Angelfish, 1-1" Marbled Angelfish, 2-2" Dwarf Gourami, and a 5" Pleco
*In my 29g Tank: a DIY 3D Background with IMAGINARY water & fish LOL

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/28/2010, 9:46 pm

I started to make one of these today for my 29 gallon. So far looks awesome. will do the coat of cement tomorrow though. Took mostly all day to get the carvings done. I'm not doing a rock cement background though. I'm doing an ancient city background. The City of Petra to be exact.

This is the picture I found and liked for my background:
3d background is finished - Page 2 City_o10

These are some pictures of my background cut out and placed on the styrofoam ready for cement tomorrow:
3d background is finished - Page 2 Photo011

3d background is finished - Page 2 Photo012

3d background is finished - Page 2 Photo013

3d background is finished - Page 2 Photo014

3d background is finished - Page 2 Photo015

3d background is finished - Page 2 Photo016

Last edited by BLimon on 7/28/2010, 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sorry my camera really sucks!)
Back to top Go down
VAMPY
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
VAMPY

Favorite Fish: : Bettas, Gouramis, Corys

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/28/2010, 10:23 pm

Looks good so far Bernie, good job!!
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

Favorite Fish: : *In my 10g Tank: 3 Lemon Tetras, 2 Zebra Danios, 3 Bleeding Heart Tetras and 1 Pleco.
*In my 55g Tank: 1-1" Gold Angelfish, 1-1" Marbled Angelfish, 2-2" Dwarf Gourami, and a 5" Pleco
*In my 29g Tank: a DIY 3D Background with IMAGINARY water & fish LOL

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/28/2010, 10:27 pm

Thanks! I been working hard on it. If you decide you want to make one I can help. Its fairly easy. I'll post pictures of final results.

Thanks Masroberts for idea!
Back to top Go down
svaha
Sergeant
Sergeant
svaha

Favorite Fish: : Hoplias malabaricus (wolf fish) but cant have one where I live now.

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/29/2010, 5:12 am

That is nice,I am thinking of doing one in a 58g for africans.cant wait to see final photos.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/29/2010, 5:54 am

Congratz! i'll love to see some pics!!! good
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3d background is finished   3d background is finished - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

3d background is finished
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next