UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

link for 3d background

Go down 
+3
nitty
CajunGator
Rachael0805
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

link for 3d background Empty
PostSubject: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/18/2010, 1:10 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Ng6GeF9mA&feature=PlayList&p=778692034A15564F&index=12

thought someone would enjoy this.
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

Favorite Fish: : Red Devil, Red Terror, Green Terror...

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/18/2010, 1:21 pm

That is pretty freaking awesome. Thanks Tim!
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/18/2010, 2:03 pm

link for 3d background 265353 thanks TIM, will definitely file this for future use !!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/18/2010, 2:09 pm

i was trying to find a video were the 3d background had holes and caves but i found this one and it was preety informative
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/18/2010, 3:59 pm

I like. Great info. I'm thinking of trying this soon. I wonder if
it works the same with salt water.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/18/2010, 5:27 pm

heres another cool background. check out this guys other videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUMXi6IuSCw&feature=fvw

i dunno nitty i think saltwater is a little more abusive then fresh
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/18/2010, 6:16 pm

nitty wrote:
I like. Great info. I'm thinking of trying this soon. I wonder if
it works the same with salt water.

nitty as long as you cure the concrete fully it should work, teh method of filling and draining the tank a few times wont cut it for saltwater. the ph raising is not the only concern i would have but the leaching of stuff from teh concrete over time
Back to top Go down
ssteelhead
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : oscar

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/18/2010, 6:25 pm

they make a plastic sealer that you can put over the top that will stop it from reacting with the water it doesn't affect the color, however I don't know whether it's fish safe
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/18/2010, 6:26 pm

sw fish cost a bit much for me to want to try this
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/18/2010, 6:35 pm

tim wrote:
sw fish cost a bit much for me to want to try this

teh practice of using concrete in a salt take is not new guys, i have seen many DIY live rockl articles where concrete is used in making rock, the big thing is the way it is cured before ever going into teh stage of growing beneficial bacteria so the background can be done it is just teh manner in how you cure the concrete.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/18/2010, 8:15 pm

Saltwater and concrete don't mix. Concrete in the north on roads has an additive in it to keep the salt from eating it as fast no additive. Its still eats the concrete. Here in Houston we can't use salt on the highways because it would them up. I don't know the additive. The Oil field has this problem with the brine from wells. Curing is the problem
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/18/2010, 8:37 pm

fishman13218 wrote:
Saltwater and concrete don't mix. Concrete in the north on roads has an additive in it to keep the salt from eating it as fast no additive. Its still eats the concrete. Here in Houston we can't use salt on the highways because it would them up. I don't know the additive. The Oil field has this problem with the brine from wells. Curing is the problem

so are you going to go on a crusade telling every forum, and contesting every article ever written on DIY live rock? not me, i have had a few pieces of teh DIY live rock and it works fine, also frag plugs are also made from a concrete/cement so it CAN be used, but it is a matter of curing it before putting it in your tank. i recently got some frag plugs and they are in my fuge awaiting corals but right on the pacjkage it says they are pre cured but add a few at a time in your system and keep them wet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/18/2010, 8:50 pm

Good for you. Maybe someday you will understand right from wrong. I see you can't spell, or maybe you can't proof read. Knowlege is key. I will do you a big favor and I will just read your comments and watch you fail. What is your educational backround in. I have a Ph. D in aquaculure from Texas A&M. You win.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/18/2010, 8:54 pm

fishman13218 wrote:
Good for you. Maybe someday you will understand right from wrong. I see you can't spell, or maybe you can't proof read. Knowlege is key. I will do you a big favor and I will just read your comments and watch you fail. What is your educational backround in. I have a Ph. D in aquaculure from Texas A&M. You win.

dont call me out like that fishman because you will FAIL. i am telling you that concrete CAN be used in saltwater rocks and frag plugs take it or leave it as far as your degree that means nothing especially coming from Texas a&m. you obviously need to do some more homework on aquacultured rock link for 3d background 393849 not only that but there are companies using concrete to make artificail reefs so again WHO is it that FAILS, certainly not me.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/19/2010, 3:05 am

Let me be the neutral third part on this one. I've seen many a concrete background done in freshwater, and few done on salt.

LordRaptor1 is correct in saying that curing is what would keep the concrete from having issues in a saltwater tank. No doubt about it that you would want to cure it outside of salt before introducing it so as not to have problems. You could always also leach it for a while in a tub of fresh water to allow the leaching process to happen beforehand.

fishman13218 is also correct in saying that salt kills concrete. The argument made about salt on roads is not extremely valid, though, because it is a combination of salt AND temperature fluctuations AND weight that destroys roads. In a tank situation, the temperature never fluctuates much and there is little to no weight being applied. With this in mind, it may take years and years for the concrete to even start to show signs of wear and tear.

So, lets review.

Can it be used, absolutely. As LordRaptor1 says, a lot of concrete/cement is used for coral frag applications without a hitch. Will salt cause an issue with the cement? Sure. Salt is nasty. But given the amount of time it would take for this to happen, I would venture to say that by that time, you would either be willing to build another one, or replace the tank completely. Would I use it in my tank? In freshwater, yes. In saltwater, probably not considering with a little work, you can manipulate/find live rock that will make your background AND be real.

Hope this helps clear the situation up!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/19/2010, 10:31 am

look what you started nitty. so what would be the proper way to cure the cement? no need to argue about it, just give us a solution
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/19/2010, 11:11 am

fishman13218 wrote:

I have a Ph.D. A PRETTY HUGE @#$% LOL!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/19/2010, 12:26 pm

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=23085

Good info and good recipe.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/19/2010, 12:30 pm

Could also styrofoam it:

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=53894

http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank0902.php
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/19/2010, 4:31 pm

very nice, i think im getting a picture of how i wont get my background to be.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/19/2010, 4:32 pm

To philuponthepho your qualifcations are? Maybe a high school education? Maybe your an EXPERT? Lets define an expert. Ex is a has been. Pert is drip. LOL
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/19/2010, 4:38 pm

Let's see...im 18....so I have a high school degree. Getting masters. And no I am not an expert in anything. Was trying to make a joke. JEEZ.... No more arguing plz...pretty dumb. Oh and by the way, poop
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/19/2010, 4:40 pm

fishman13218 wrote:
To philuponthepho your qualifcations are? Maybe a high school education? Maybe your an EXPERT? Lets define an expert. Ex is a has been. Pert is drip. LOL

how bout you guys take this little arguement to another post, imm trying to get information.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/19/2010, 9:26 pm

tim wrote:
look what you started nitty. so what would be the proper way to cure the cement? no need to argue about it, just give us a solution

soak it in water with a protien skimmer and do water changes regularly, time for a cure varies from which link you find in your serach bu concrete takes 32 days for a cure(harden) under normal conditions, once t has harden you keep it submerged in water (plain ole tap water) and do a water change or 2 every week for a minimum of 3 months (at least 3 months is the the minimum recmmended time frame for making your own rock as a safe measure for chemicals to leach out of the concrete and into the water column).

do a search online for DIY live rock and i am sure you will see a few sites. same principal would apply to cement on a background
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime1/19/2010, 11:47 pm

holy cr@p that takes forever lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: link for 3d background   link for 3d background Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

link for 3d background
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next