UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Whats a good price??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

Whats a good price?? Empty
PostSubject: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 5:00 pm

For those of you out there that have discus I have the opportunity to purchase several (described as red turquoise) about 3-4" in size for $20ish a paice. I know I have seen them over $80, but I also know you can find them online for cheaper. I just set up a 50 gallon for rams which could also hold these discus....Move the rams to 30 breeder...leave discus in 50 for a bit till 90 gets up.

Just figured I would ask if this is a good deal....fish are eating flake and frozen and look to be in good overall health...color looks a little dark might be due to 5 being in a 29 gallon tank right now.

Anything else I should look for ??? And is this a good price for non-named brand discus?

Thanks as always
George
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 5:54 pm

anyway to get a pic? Question dark color.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 7:44 pm

No I am sorry...no way to get pics off my phone onto my computer....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 8:06 pm

How dark are they? If too dark in the the stress of bagging and transport could kill them. Very fragile fish.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 8:50 pm

If they look in good color and just happy overall yes. If they are darkish, showing stress stripes and just dont look happy do not get them no mater how cheap they are.
A happy healthy discus should come up and check you out and do the lil begging dance like any other happy fish. Observe them for a while and see if they act happy.

$20 is a good price though. I paid $50 each for my snakeskins that were smaller.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 9:39 pm

They still show some color not completely black, they seem to be attentive and actively follow as you walk by the tank. Stomache looks right npt concave or bloated. They do look a bit stressed though. I think I will let them sit a few more days and see how they do.

Thanks for the advice
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 10:08 am

see if you can watch them eat, if they eat like pigs that's always a good sign.

One of mine 'Tiny Tim' is such a pig that he will eat so much that he cant swim right Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 12:00 pm

yeah they eat with ease so far have seen them take flake and frozen brine....greedy gut fish
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 12:22 pm

HHMMM maybe just the tanks to small. I would try them if you really want discus but ask if they die can you at least get some return on them
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 2:23 pm

yeah its no real rush probably wait till fri/sat to check them out see if any color is back to them
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 3:59 pm

sounds nice that your interested in discus.
they sound ok to me. are they in a dark tank? like black gravel and black backround? those varibles will make a turquoise discus look dark.
make sure there foreheads are not pinched and they have small eyes for there size!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 5:01 pm

To see a stunted discus look at my pics of Tiny Tim he is stunted. For non stunted look at my snakeskins.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 9:14 pm

It looks pretty normal...I have worked with discus before(15 years ago) and I did not realize how many new variations there are. Wild caught greens were all the rage when I worked at the lfs. I bought a camera so hopefully i can get some pics going. They look fairly normal to me eyes well positioned not on the small side. Tank they were in had natural gravel, few plants, extreme lighting (which can also stress them out)4 t5hos on a 29, honestly do not remember if the tank was painted black or blue. Going back tommorow to take a look might put a down payment on them and pick them up this weekend that way i can make sure my tank is 100% instead of trying to rush things along. I know i need to get the heat up a bit sitting at 76 right now probably get it up to 82ish.

Thanks again for all the advice I really do appreciate it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 8:41 am

80-84 is what I keep mine at. What is the PH they are in? You will want to match that as well as GH
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 9:47 am

actually the Ph they are in now is 7...the tank I might be putting them in is 6.5....I doubt that lfs has a hardness test kit probably have to take mine there
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 9:56 am

if the lfs doesn't have a GH kit on hand its not a good lfs at all!!!!
Heck mine even has a CO2, 02 and copper, not common tests at all
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 12:03 pm

i cant wait to see pics!
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime12/8/2010, 6:53 am

make sure they have small eyes and are round.. if you come up to the tank and put your hand on top of the tank make sure they come to the top. dark could be from stress, or it could be from a dark back ground and dark substrate.. ask the owner what he/she feeds, how offen the water is changed and if they just use tap straight from the sink or if the age the water. if the owner doesn't answer your questions don't buy.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime12/8/2010, 11:19 am

I decided to pass just too many questions...I think the no refund if I get him home and it dies sealed it for me lol.
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

Favorite Fish: : Any thing reef friendl

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime12/8/2010, 4:46 pm

probably a wise decision
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good price??   Whats a good price?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats a good price??
Page 1 of 1