UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Who doesn't use RO water

Go down 
+9
CajunGator
J*Hawk*83
lizardking
TangTango
wildbeanerz
MarkM
istrober
alkomist
bluebengal
13 posters
AuthorMessage
bluebengal
Private
Private

Who doesn't use RO water Empty
PostSubject: Who doesn't use RO water   Who doesn't use RO water Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 1:29 pm

So I was just wondering who doesn't use RO water and if not are your tanks okay? How do u prepare the water for a water change? THANKS!!!!!
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Who doesn't use RO water   Who doesn't use RO water Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 1:37 pm

somtimes when im lazy (wensdays lol) wen i do water changes i just poor regular Ol tap water back into the tank!
my fish are awsome! i even had them spawn right after a WC with tap water!

and when i do go all the way with WC's i prepare the water like i would for a SW tank
i have water in buckets with powerheads running in them to mix the dechlorinator and salt mix for bout 1-2 hours (all this is beeing done as i skim the sand surface for poop and un-eaten food, wipe the glass from the inside of the tank, change filter cartiges, adjust any plants or rocks the fish flip over over time, fix lights etc........by the time im done with ll that i poor the good new water in !!! :)

Last edited by alkomist on 8/27/2010, 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Who doesn't use RO water   Who doesn't use RO water Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 1:37 pm

In case of using tap water, just filling up buckets and adding water conditioner following the right directions from the bottle, wait a couple of seconds and it shoul be good to go, when using well water like me, you dont have to add any conditioners because the water doesnt not have chlorine.

BTW you can test the house water before putting on the tank to make sure all the levels are fine..
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: Who doesn't use RO water   Who doesn't use RO water Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 1:45 pm

I don't use RO for my freshwater tanks. I mix tap water and my dechlorinator in a 55 gal drum, get my water temp right and do my water changes. I am thinking about setting up a saltwater tank in the near future and will most probably use RO water for it.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: Who doesn't use RO water   Who doesn't use RO water Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 1:55 pm

I might be sort of lazy about my tank but I make water a day or two in advance with salt mix for the saltwater tank I have. I make it by the gallon and just shake it up a few times over the course of a day or so to make sure all the mix is disolved. Then suction out the old water after scraping my glass. While suctioning I go lightly over my sand and then pull off all hair algae I can get to and suck it out too. I only rinse my filter cartridges in old tank water though. I haven't replaced them since I set the tank up in October 2009.

Everyone & everything in my tank is happy & healthy. Since my start I have lost one royal gramma and it took a firefish with it. And I lost a lawnmower blenny. I just think my tank wasn't the right place for the gramma & blenny. I replaced the firefish and he is so happy!! :)
Back to top Go down
TangTango
Private
Private
TangTango

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa, Gibberosa, Calvus

PostSubject: Re: Who doesn't use RO water   Who doesn't use RO water Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 1:57 pm

I just use tap water with dechlor for my three freshwater Cichlid tanks.
I fill five gallon buckets from my bathtub faucet and add dechlor to it then pour it in the tanks.
Usually takes five buckets per tank.
Always have and always will.
(I'm a suck'r for doin hard manual labor)
Back to top Go down
lizardking
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
lizardking

Favorite Fish: : Marbled Shark/ Lionfish

PostSubject: Re: Who doesn't use RO water   Who doesn't use RO water Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 2:02 pm

I use distilled in my 180G SW, and have never had a problem. My water is crystal clear, and all fish are happy.
Back to top Go down
J*Hawk*83
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
J*Hawk*83

Favorite Fish: : Venestus
Trigger
Lionfish
Wrasse

PostSubject: Re: Who doesn't use RO water   Who doesn't use RO water Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 2:02 pm

Just good ole' tap water and dechlor for all FW and SW tanks
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Who doesn't use RO water   Who doesn't use RO water Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 2:13 pm

As many have said it just depends on the mood and timing of doing the water changes. Normally my 135g, i just vacuum siphon the rocks into buckets and dump into toilet. When i have about 25 gallons down, i start direct flow of tap water into to the tank while i continue siphoning the rocks until i get 50 gallons out. Continue the tap water flow until it fills to top. At this time, i put Prime into the water and start agitating the water to mix the Prime. I usually use almost double recommended dosage for the water change. My smaller tanks, 29 to 10g i use half RO water and half tap water for the water changes with Prime also. Clean the buckets, pickup the water hose and I am done.. Normally takes about 3hrs for all my tanks! This is done Weekly! Then beer time! (note always wait til complete, so you dont forget the water running! hahahahahahah.... )
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Who doesn't use RO water   Who doesn't use RO water Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 2:22 pm

when i posted my post all that i listed was for my freshwater tanks!!!
the salt mix i mentioned was for treating wounds and stress coat, u know the stuff they sell at the pet shops
when i do a WC on my SW tank i use stritcly RO water and reef crystals salt mix nothing else!!!! NO TAP WATER WITH CHEMICLAS!!!!!! ITS BAD!!!!!!!
or when im lazy i buy fresh salt water stright from the osean at my LFS for 69cents a gallon:)
Back to top Go down
J*Hawk*83
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
J*Hawk*83

Favorite Fish: : Venestus
Trigger
Lionfish
Wrasse

PostSubject: Re: Who doesn't use RO water   Who doesn't use RO water Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 2:25 pm

I havent had any problems with my tanks with just Tap Water, Salt, & Dechlor. All my SW fish and Invertebrates are Happy, Fat, & Shinning
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

PostSubject: Re: Who doesn't use RO water   Who doesn't use RO water Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 2:57 pm

what is "RO"?
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Who doesn't use RO water   Who doesn't use RO water Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 3:02 pm

it is Reverse osmosis water that has been thru a system that removes all the impurities out of the water...

take a look: check out this link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_osmosis

some like these are made specifically made for aquariums:

http://www.aquacon.com/rosystems.html

and since i dont have my own RO water system i go to one of these in most shopping mall parking lots. it normally runs $ 1.25 per five gallons...

Who doesn't use RO water Rowater

Last edited by CajunGator on 8/27/2010, 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sal
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
sal

Favorite Fish: : All Cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Who doesn't use RO water   Who doesn't use RO water Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 3:16 pm

tap water!!! prime!!!! thats it!!! anything more and i would probably not be in the hobby. crystal clear water, healthy spawning fish, and oder free. i keep it simple.
Back to top Go down
vgould
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : Fundulo Panchax Sjoestedti (Blue Gularis)

PostSubject: Re: Who doesn't use RO water   Who doesn't use RO water Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 3:31 pm

I always use tap water and prime as well. sometimes I put in something to balance the ph, sometimes I don't. Never any disease or other problems. Fresh water tanks only.

Is RO water considered soft? I'd only look at it for discus or for fish with special needs.
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

PostSubject: Re: Who doesn't use RO water   Who doesn't use RO water Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 4:03 pm

I have a filtration system in my house which takes out the chlorine and other contaminants, so I just put the water hose from outside into my tanks to fill the up.

Thanks Gator!
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Who doesn't use RO water   Who doesn't use RO water Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 4:21 pm

I use tap water and aquaclear or prime.Sometimes when I top off the tanks I just add tap water and thats it nothing else.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who doesn't use RO water   Who doesn't use RO water Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who doesn't use RO water
Page 1 of 1