UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Books

Go down 
+4
KMX
Demonkegman
BLimon
VAMPY
8 posters
AuthorMessage
VAMPY
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
VAMPY

Favorite Fish: : Bettas, Gouramis, Corys

Books Empty
PostSubject: Books   Books Icon_minitime7/28/2010, 11:26 pm

Are there any books that are a must read for someone who is new to the hobby. I love to read and i know there is wealth of knowledge on the interwebs, but are there any books I should have to refer to and what not? I am interested in learning everything from freshwater to saltwater, brackish, plants and anything else that has to do with the hobby. Thanks in advance.

Jaime
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

Favorite Fish: : *In my 10g Tank: 3 Lemon Tetras, 2 Zebra Danios, 3 Bleeding Heart Tetras and 1 Pleco.
*In my 55g Tank: 1-1" Gold Angelfish, 1-1" Marbled Angelfish, 2-2" Dwarf Gourami, and a 5" Pleco
*In my 29g Tank: a DIY 3D Background with IMAGINARY water & fish LOL

Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books   Books Icon_minitime7/28/2010, 11:45 pm

I've read online that theres a book that is very knowledgable and humorous for people that are just starting out their Saltwater Tank Setup. It has great reviews too. Its called ... wait for it ... drum roll please ... The Complete Idiots Guide to Saltwater Aquariums. Hope this is something that interests you!

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-Saltwater-Aquariums/dp/1582450293
Back to top Go down
Demonkegman
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Demonkegman

Favorite Fish: :
Salt water - Lion fish.
Fresh water - Arowana.
Food - Any type of Salmon sushi.

SALT WATER LOVER!!!! Fresh...... not so much...

Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books   Books Icon_minitime7/29/2010, 9:18 am

I have a book called, salt water tanks for dummies. Haha. It is actually a good read! Tells you everything you need. Then just hang out here all day and read all the topics, old and new. I've learned so much in a month on here! I also have book called aquatic marine life. It tells you every fish and plant -salt water- you can buy and how hard they are to take care of and what they eat and what fish they can be with. Good book also
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books   Books Icon_minitime7/29/2010, 10:16 am

fishbookstore.com
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books   Books Icon_minitime7/29/2010, 10:30 am

i got my books off of amazon.com

i like the back to nature guides
Back to top Go down
VAMPY
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
VAMPY

Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books   Books Icon_minitime7/29/2010, 11:26 am

Hey, thanks for all the helpful hints! Now to finish going through all the different species of plecos, lol
Back to top Go down

Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books   Books Icon_minitime7/29/2010, 7:23 pm

I stalk my local thrift stores and pick up any tank books I find. Some of the info and most of the names are dated but they are defiantly worth the $1!
Some I have I have seen on amazon for quite a bit more than I paid for them!

Any fish book is worth reading! Check your library they may have some good ones!
Back to top Go down
VAMPY
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
VAMPY

Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books   Books Icon_minitime7/29/2010, 7:32 pm

Thanks Fern! Why didn't i think of that? crazy
Back to top Go down

Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books   Books Icon_minitime7/29/2010, 7:42 pm

lol!
I have a few written in the 60's some names have changed some methods have changed but the fish are still the same! Old books are a great help on learning how the hobby has evolved to what it is today! They can also give your great DIY ideas!
Back to top Go down
hatman
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
hatman

Favorite Fish: : I don't have favorite a fish, but I really enjoy my Christmas Fulu's. Also my 125g community tank.

Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books   Books Icon_minitime12/10/2010, 11:05 pm

I have a boat load of e books on fish and plants. Almost to much to read.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books   Books Icon_minitime12/10/2010, 11:28 pm

nice. i do not even own a single ebook. but i do have a few aquarium books like the one i won in the auction. cichlids of africa. man i can not wait to get it!!!!
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books   Books Icon_minitime12/10/2010, 11:46 pm

Hi everyone, To me Old books do have a wealth of information. I especially enjoy seeing the old fish pricelists. Many times the fish have remained very close to the same price from 30 to 40 years ago. Some fish have even come down in price. I'm fascinated to read old advertisments from the early 30's or 40's. This Hobby has certainly gone through many changes, That's why it never gets boring to me. Hope I didn't get to far off the subject.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books   Books Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 1:12 am

As far as books go I find that it is more helpful to find books about specific areas..SA cichlids..angelfish, guppies, lake tang , lake vics...ect. These usually go into more details about specific fish that an Idiots guide (which has tons of basic info that is extremely helpful).

Most of the general books are close to the same thing as far as content goes, that is why I look for specific fish or group of fish books they usual go a little moe in depth with water quality parameters ect.

Barnes and nobles usually has authorized retail used book sellers that offer a great discount on books.

I just picked up several for $1.99 that the cover price was over $40 originally
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books   Books Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Books
Page 1 of 1