UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Nerite snail question.

Go down 
+5
SeaWitch
typicaltony
istrober
nick a
K20Z3
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Nerite snail question. Empty
PostSubject: Nerite snail question.   Nerite snail question. Icon_minitime7/28/2010, 4:44 pm

I just recently received nerites in the past 6 weeks. Do they lay eggs even though they do not hatch in fresh water? I have one tank with what looks like opaque white eggs all over the tank. they are in small groups of 4 to 10 together on the glass, fake log, slate pieces, but not on plants. They are small (just larger than a pin head) and all the same shape , size and color. There must be 100 to 130 in the tank. Camera not working properly and can't get a pic. Any suggesting? Just noticed them 2 days ago and scraped now they are all over.
Back to top Go down
K20Z3
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Nerite snail question.   Nerite snail question. Icon_minitime7/28/2010, 6:03 pm

I have 2 brown with gold stripe nerites about the size of a small marble. They have been that size for about 9 months now. They do an amazing job of keeping the glass clean in my 72, but they do lay tons of eggs. Their eggs are the size of pretzel salt though, and the same color, not really as small as yours.
Back to top Go down
nick a
Sergeant
Sergeant
nick a

PostSubject: Re: Nerite snail question.   Nerite snail question. Icon_minitime7/29/2010, 7:00 am

The eggs are infertile but yeah, they'll still pop 'em out regularly! I've found that if I keep the front glass clean, they'll lay the eggs elsewhere--so they really don't bother me too much.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Nerite snail question.   Nerite snail question. Icon_minitime7/29/2010, 7:27 am

Yeah i think they do the same as the mystery snails, cuz i have a 10gl full of eggs salt spots looking type all over the tank too, good luck!! Nerite snail question. 393849
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Nerite snail question.   Nerite snail question. Icon_minitime7/29/2010, 8:09 am

Yupp they do that
Back to top Go down
SeaWitch
Sergeant
Sergeant
SeaWitch

Favorite Fish: : I love goldies of any type! I also love bettas. I hope to eventually get more tropical fish, though.

PostSubject: Re: Nerite snail question.   Nerite snail question. Icon_minitime12/16/2010, 12:47 pm

I love my nerites, but yes, the eggs are everywhere! LOL!
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Nerite snail question.   Nerite snail question. Icon_minitime12/16/2010, 12:50 pm

i read once they must be in brackish water to fertilze those eggs... just got my nerites, but will eventurally try to breed them....
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Nerite snail question.   Nerite snail question. Icon_minitime12/16/2010, 12:57 pm

Just need brackish water for the eggs to hatch and develop.
Back to top Go down
Mac Myers
Private
Private
Mac Myers

Favorite Fish: : Puffers, Oscars, Snails, Shrimp, Crayfish. Oh... and Fried Shrimp.

PostSubject: Re: Nerite snail question.   Nerite snail question. Icon_minitime1/20/2011, 7:10 am

I have 5 in a brackish tank with some Opae'ula (Halocaridina rubra). Maybe I'll find out.
Back to top Go down
Amykins
Private
Private
Amykins

PostSubject: Re: Nerite snail question.   Nerite snail question. Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 7:26 pm

Mmm, not sure about that, Mac. Nerites are surprisingly tricky to raise. They live in fresh water, will only hatch in brackish water, and need full salt while they're young. Heck if I know how these dudes manage to procreate in the wild.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Nerite snail question.   Nerite snail question. Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 7:31 pm

close. They can live from fresh to salt. The larvae do require brack to full salt to grow though.
Back to top Go down
Amykins
Private
Private
Amykins

PostSubject: Re: Nerite snail question.   Nerite snail question. Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 7:58 pm

James0816 wrote:
close. They can live from fresh to salt. The larvae do require brack to full salt to grow though.

Ah, cool. I learned something today. :) What an odd creature than can survive in both fresh and salt water! I wonder what "clicks" when they reach adulthood allowing them to do this?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nerite snail question.   Nerite snail question. Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 8:04 pm

Wow these are interesting snails!
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Nerite snail question.   Nerite snail question. Icon_minitime2/2/2011, 7:36 am

And so many wonderfull colors and patterns. Not to mention a horned variety that looks totally awesomeness too! ;o)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nerite snail question.   Nerite snail question. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nerite snail question.
Page 1 of 1