UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Nerite growth question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Glabe
Private First Class
Private First Class
Glabe

Favorite Fish: : Tiger Barbs, Botias and Loaches

Nerite growth question Empty
PostSubject: Nerite growth question   Nerite growth question Icon_minitime7/3/2011, 1:29 am

So... I bought some nerites on Aquabid, and they arrived looking great! i got some black spiky ones and some black and yellow/greenish striped ones. is it obvious yet that i know nothing about snails?

well, the nerites have grown a LOT in the past week. in just one week i'd say the shell on one spiky guy has a half inch of growth on it. normally i'd think that's good, but this snail arrived with a shell that was textured only with tiny little bumps (and the spikes) and the new growth has horizontal ripples on it with no bumps. my params are great, with hard/alkaline water from the city, and the PH is between 7.8 and 8. that's just how it comes.

is there some sort of supplement i can or should use?

on a side note, i bought some plants from the LFS and asked to get ones infested with baby snails for my clown loach to munch on. some of them grew up, and i think they're malaysian trumpet snails. SCORE!

I'll post pics of everything tomorrow when i can get a hold of my roommate's fancy gabillion megabite camera. mine can't focus on snails =)

Back to top Go down
Shea
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Nerite growth question   Nerite growth question Icon_minitime7/3/2011, 5:22 am

Aren't nerites so cool? I have no idea what's up with that kind of growth rate. I feed mine algae wafers and blanched zucchini and they are doing well. I had read you could add cuttlebone to your tank for them to munch on for extra calcium. I tried it and mine never touched it. Good luck with your new guys!
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: Nerite growth question   Nerite growth question Icon_minitime9/25/2011, 7:16 pm

I use seasalt (1 tbsp per 5G) and coral-vite (it was on clearance. My marimino moss loves it!) in my tanks. My original zebra nerites have grown nicely with good shells. Granted, the seasalt contains natural buffers, Ca and Carbonates - so it gives them the minerals they need.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Nerite growth question   Nerite growth question Icon_minitime9/26/2011, 7:45 am

Glabe wrote:
on a side note, i bought some plants from the LFS and asked to get ones infested with baby snails for my clown loach to munch on. some of them grew up, and i think they're malaysian trumpet snails. SCORE!

Wellllll....don't be too excited just yet. Unfortunately the MTS shell is a bit too hard for the clown loach. :o( Sry. You really want to look for Bladder or Pond snails for them.

As for supplimenting for the snails, Calcium enriched foods are a plus. You can add some cuttlebone to the tank if you want. There are some other options for making DIY foods with Calcium powder and even plaster of paris.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nerite growth question   Nerite growth question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nerite growth question
Page 1 of 1