UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Need Help. Tonight if possible.

Go down 
+6
unknown
dano
Angel
CSnyder00
Holey Rock of Texas
intensitti
10 posters
AuthorMessage
intensitti
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
intensitti

Favorite Fish: : Angels and Discus

Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Empty
PostSubject: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime6/9/2010, 7:00 pm

I need help with my breeding Angels.

Round 1....our 2 angles laid eggs about 2 months ago in a 20 gal that had 2 other angels in it. Some of the eggs turned white, I freaked out, and separated the parents into another tank. all the eggs turned white. this was the angels and our first time. ok, so we took it as a learning lesson.

Round 2........last wednesday, the angels which are now in a community tank, we noticed eggs on the filter tube. I left it alone this time for mother nature to do her thing. The eggs lasted 2 days and were gone overnight. we left the parents in the tank and they did a great job guarding the eggs.

Round 3....they just laid eggs again. We are waiting for their own tank to cycle and they had to go and do the dirty deed again. they are still in the community tank. we just pulled out all the tankmates and put them elsewhere so the parents can be alone in the 55 gal without anything trying to eat the eggs. is this ok?

we were under the impression that it takes more than just a week to lay again. we thought it took at least 2 weeks.

what do we do now, so maybe this time we can get fry?
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime6/9/2010, 7:30 pm

not much you can not. if they are going to be good parents you are in luck, but if not well. my jewels are doing the same thing and they are in a tank of thier own. do you have any plecos in the tank?
Back to top Go down
intensitti
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
intensitti

PostSubject: Re: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime6/9/2010, 7:49 pm

one itty, bitty one that we missed when we pulled all the other fish out
Back to top Go down
intensitti
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
intensitti

PostSubject: Re: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime6/9/2010, 7:51 pm

now since they are alone, they are cleaning a flat leaf off. we are wondering if they can lay again or would there be a better chance of them moving the eggs that are on the filter tube
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime6/10/2010, 5:07 am

If they are by themselves, they should be fine. I would say if they laid that fast last time, they could be laying again. However, that seems highly unlikely since they will guard the first batch if they are good parents. Just watch and see what happens and keep us updated!
Back to top Go down
Angel
Private First Class
Private First Class
Angel

Favorite Fish: : Today? Black Ghost Knife. I think! There are so many!

PostSubject: Re: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime6/10/2010, 5:47 am

If they turn out to be not such good parents, you can raise the fry from eggs yourself. You'll need at least a gallon jar, but I use a 2.5 gallon tank, an airstone, a heater, and some methylene blue. When the eggs are laid, move the item they laid the eggs on to the rearing jar/tank and try not to expose them to air. You can do this by holding a bowl or jar under the water and moving the item into it, then transferring to the new home, or just make it a split second to move them from one to the other. Have the new home be 80 degrees. Your hatch will be much more successful if this warm. Put the airstone very close to the eggs but not blowing them off the item they were laid on. This simulates mom's fanning, which wards off fungus. Finally, put a drop of methylene blue in the water for every gallon. Methylene blue keeps eggs from fungusing. Your hatch will happen in 2 to 4 days. When they're free swimming(another 3-4 days) you can move them into a bare bottomed tank with a turkey baster, but make certain the water is also 80 degrees. No methylene blue at this point. Feed them baby brine shrimp up to 5 times a day. Clean the baby tank daily by scraping as much of the sides and bottom as you can, and do small water changes.
Hope they raise them on their own! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
intensitti
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
intensitti

PostSubject: Re: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime6/10/2010, 3:17 pm

thanks for the help. i will let you know what they do.
Back to top Go down
intensitti
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
intensitti

PostSubject: Re: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime6/10/2010, 6:00 pm

got home from work and half the eggs are gone and half of what is left is white. looks like daddy is having some caviar.

btw......the cat fell into one of the tanks just now. (not the one with the eggs). i bet kitty does not mess with that tank again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime6/10/2010, 6:19 pm

That sucks.... Now the cat.... thats just funny!
Back to top Go down
intensitti
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
intensitti

PostSubject: Re: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime6/11/2010, 7:33 am

we are still laughing about the cat.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime6/12/2010, 5:12 am

Is there anything around the tank or in the tank that the parents would feel threatened about? Sometimes that will cause them to eat the eggs.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime6/12/2010, 11:27 am

Get the pleco out.....They work a night and the eggs don't stand a chance....Even with a small pleco.
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

Favorite Fish: : You mean I gotta have a favorite??

PostSubject: Re: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime6/12/2010, 11:49 am

tank did not have any other fish in it. the eggs are all gone and the angels are on their way to there own tank
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime6/16/2010, 8:29 am

I used to have a breeding pair of Angel's.They were in an 40g breeder by them selfs and the only problem I had was they were not good parent's.When they laid the eggs I had to remove the eggs to another tank and waited untill they hatched.Also several times I had to remove the parent's from the tank and wait untill the eggs hatched and then remove the fry and put the parent's back in the 40g.If I left the eggs with the parent's they would eat the eggs or the fry.I lost alot of fry because of that.I did not do anything special.I just left them alone in the tank even with the light's on and they spawned all the time.I know you shouldn't have to much problem's and good luck on them.
Back to top Go down
intensitti
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
intensitti

PostSubject: Re: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime6/16/2010, 8:35 am

this is gonna sound like a dub question. if eggs are laid, do i assume that they are fertilized?
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime6/16/2010, 8:55 am

Most of the time they were fertilized but there were several times that I removed the eggs or parent's to soon and they didn't get fertilized.You have to kinda watch the male to see if he feritilize's the eggs.Sometimes for me since I could not watch them all the time it was a guessing game.Once you get the hang of it it should be easy for you.Sometimes I could tell with the color of the eggs if they were clear they wasn't fertilized and if they were white then they were fertilized.This is what I did so I cannot say that it will work for you I'm just letting you know how I did it if it works for you than great.You will lose some eggs or fry it happens.I just hope everything turns out good for you and it goes good.
Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

PostSubject: Re: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime6/16/2010, 9:02 am

the eggs dont come out fertilized. the male has to fertilize them once they are out.
Back to top Go down
skittles
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : JARDINI, S.A. CICHLIDS

PostSubject: Re: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime7/4/2010, 10:06 am

Sometimes it takes a few batches for them to figure out what they are doing, laying and fertilizing eggs, the parents usually know if eggs are bad before you (turn white), if they eat them they are getting nutrients that they loose in laying, so let them alone at first. If you get wigglers and they eat them, then do the pulling of eggs after 1-2 days. Parents are always the best at caring for eggs. You can try a flat piece of slat tilted on glass, pet stores usually have them available, that way if you do want to pull eggs it will be easier.
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime7/4/2010, 11:31 am

are you sure you have a pair ? a male and a female?

If it keeps on turning white, it means that they aren't fertilized.. so you might have 2 females and one of them is really wanting to spawn. Happened to me with my kois. And it does take them sometime to get it right, dont rush them.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime7/5/2010, 11:54 am

Sometimes two females will lay eggs just as the normal male and female do.......Check their gonopodium while the are laying.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Help. Tonight if possible.   Need Help.  Tonight if possible. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need Help. Tonight if possible.
Page 1 of 1