UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Cloudy water

Go down 
+2
dano
micahsutton
6 posters
AuthorMessage
micahsutton
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
micahsutton

Favorite Fish: : Golden Nugget Pleco, Lemon Jake, Red Top Lwanda, Aulonocara Baenschi, Otopharynx Lithobates, and Frontosa's.

Cloudy water Empty
PostSubject: Cloudy water   Cloudy water Icon_minitime6/6/2010, 11:50 am

Ok its been a while since ive been on but here is the run down. I have a 90 gallon tank, obsidian sand, holey rock and house peacocks and haps. I have two aquaclear 110's and 1 magnum 350 canister. I usually clean one of the three filters every week and rotate through them so they get cleaned every three weeks. I perform water changes at least once a week. I just tested all my levels and everything is zero ppm, except nitrate which is about 20 ppm because it is water change day and i havent done it. I just recently moved so the water in the tank right now is basically brand new minus twenty gallons. Now i have extremely cloudy and greenish tint water. It did this for about a month before i moved and now for the last week since the move. I have tried every chemical i can think of, done more water changes then i ever have before and still no luck it will stay clear for about a day. Is it bad to clean out all three of the filters at the same time because thats all i havent tried? thank you guys in advance for all the help.
Back to top Go down

Cloudy water Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloudy water   Cloudy water Icon_minitime6/6/2010, 11:58 am

don't clean all the filters. If you think your fish can handle it block off all light and don't feed for a week. Its a bacteria or algae bloom, both are treated easily and without chemicals. Its harmless if you just want to let it run its course the fish will be fine with that. Its your choice on how to get rid of it, time or lights out and no food.
Water changes as normal.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

Cloudy water Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloudy water   Cloudy water Icon_minitime6/6/2010, 4:27 pm

or a Diatom Filter.............
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

Cloudy water Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloudy water   Cloudy water Icon_minitime6/6/2010, 5:22 pm

green water, im thinking algae bloom also. like fern said, cut back on your lights and feeding. If you got the money i would buy a uv and be done with it.
Back to top Go down
vman
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Cloudy water Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloudy water   Cloudy water Icon_minitime6/6/2010, 5:40 pm

Last edited by vman on 11/27/2010, 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Cloudy water Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloudy water   Cloudy water Icon_minitime6/6/2010, 5:44 pm

UV's and diatoms will also help, using some 50 micron cloth in one of your HOB's will help as well.
Unless its driving you nuts I would let it ride, it does not bother the fish at all. It takes a while but it will clear up by itself and if you let it go naturally chances are very low that you will ever have that issue again in that tank. Sometimes fighting it prolongs it and it can reoccur.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

Cloudy water Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloudy water   Cloudy water Icon_minitime6/7/2010, 4:52 am

Cloudy water 858205 with Fern. Let it ride.
Back to top Go down
micahsutton
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
micahsutton

Favorite Fish: : Golden Nugget Pleco, Lemon Jake, Red Top Lwanda, Aulonocara Baenschi, Otopharynx Lithobates, and Frontosa's.

Cloudy water Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloudy water   Cloudy water Icon_minitime6/7/2010, 11:35 am

Cool thanks guys it is driving me nuts, absolutely insane crazy but i guess i will take the advice of fern and just turn the lights off. It just sucks because i pride myself on taking care of my fish and looking good and now the poor guys are in the dark. But i trust you so i will just let it take its course. I was planning on adding a uv within the next few months before this happens and another 350 just to keep it extra clean but i will just let this ride for now. Thanks everyone for the input
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

Cloudy water Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloudy water   Cloudy water Icon_minitime6/7/2010, 2:07 pm

Good luck on the water correction i like fern like the use of diatom powder filters to get rid of the green stuff...
Back to top Go down

Cloudy water Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloudy water   Cloudy water Icon_minitime6/7/2010, 3:07 pm

go ahead and get the UV if you can that will help kill it off sooner. The extra filter will help as well.
Just don't go with chemicals they just prolong the issue and can harm the fish. the natural way is the best way to deal with cloudy water

I had milky green water in my 75g for about a month and I just let it ride and have never had an issue with it since and its now one of my clearest tanks. I did add a UV and 50 micron cloth and that's about all the special care I did.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cloudy water Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloudy water   Cloudy water Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cloudy water
Page 1 of 1