UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/14/2010, 1:05 am

First topic message reminder :

Taking into account how many post that I have seen recently on Lake Victorians, I decided to start a thread on breeding for this lake.

Anyone with experience,knowledge, or even curiosity are welcome to post their questions and observations within this thread.

What breeds are you currently breeding?
What difficulties have you came across throughout the breeding process with these fish?

Thanks
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/16/2010, 10:30 pm

Looks close to this guy:

Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 4374014278_2252116d26_b

"It's either an Anchor Point or Mwanza Gulf"
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/16/2010, 10:37 pm

It does resemble him a lot. I am hoping that he has not yet matured.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/17/2010, 8:05 am

not Mwanza
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/20/2010, 1:59 am

I would love to have that fish above that Hong posted... If anyone has a few, Let me know
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/26/2010, 9:56 pm

The craziest thing just happened. I was moving my 20 long to make room for a 55 gallon and I placed my Lithochromis rubripinnis "blue pseudonigricans" trio in a 10 gallon.... When I went to move them back, I noticed that one female had a mouth full of eggs! Crazy! They bred in a 10 gallon.

Has anyone ever had this happen?
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/9/2010, 9:01 pm

I will hopefully be posting pictures of Blue pseudonigricans fry in the next week.

How is everyones fry growing? Any ready for sale/trade?
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/30/2010, 2:43 am

Cool Fact!

I stripped a Sp. 44 and a rubripinnis awhile back but did not keep track of how long they were holding... so the rubripinnis fry still had egg sacks. Even though they would be okay, I decided to stick her with her fry and before I could do anything she sucked all the fry up... Even the sp. 44 fry. It was pretty cool.

A nice trick if you have a stubborn mother who will not hold.
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/30/2010, 2:44 am

Also, I just bought around 50 pseudocrenilabrus multicolor victoriae.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/30/2010, 7:36 am

Ya, I have heard of some vic moms holding others fry, its few and far between though.
I have an xmas fulu holding at the moment she is on day 3 and I am hoping she holds full term this time.
I'm still looking for a few ruby green females....
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/30/2010, 1:44 pm

at times,, vics can be tough... all kinds of strange things can happen. MMmmm i have a tank of OBLiquen Zebras juvies. fry from awesome parents, you have seen pics of them... but started out with over 30 fry, still got 30fry except for the 8 ghoulish got, but guess what..... almost all males----- i think there are bout 4 females total out of the over 30....... WHAT GIVESSSS..... how could that happen????
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/30/2010, 9:10 pm

I'm getting 25 zebra obliqus soon so If I end up short on males I can swap out a few females for your males.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/30/2010, 11:39 pm

cool jill, keep me informed. what size you getting??? thanks
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/1/2010, 2:13 am

Those Zebras were the first fish that I ever bred. I would be interested in some females as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/1/2010, 8:03 am

I'm getting 1-1.5" for $2.50 each
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/1/2010, 11:04 am

Cool. Fern. Would you be interested in any of these pseudocrenilabrus multicolor victoriae?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/1/2010, 11:26 am

Ghoul, you have a picture of yours? The pics I'm finding are all over the place with the colors.
Yall let me know if you want some of the zeb obliqus and I will get extras. Not sure if they are sexable yet so it may just be luck of the draw, I'm getting 15 of them to allow for spare males.
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/1/2010, 12:40 pm

I will get pictures. There are 3 different color morphs. Bronze, Gold, and a metallic green. I have the golds I believe. They are around 1 inch so I am not sure yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/2/2010, 6:52 pm

How is their lineage? Do you have a pic of the parents?
Reading up on them they do sound like they would be a nice fish to keep!
How much are you selling them for?
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2010, 5:10 am

I wanted to show my Nyererie Igombe Island in full spawning colors.

I uploaded lots of vidoes last night... lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2010, 6:42 am

drool he is a beauty!
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2010, 7:55 pm

He's dancing but no action... his bark is bigger than his bite. I think the tank is too busy for them... gotta move them soon to get them to spawn.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2010, 9:11 pm

That tends to be how it is with vics, they need their own tank to breed well.
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/17/2010, 4:35 pm

I just watched my first mbipi mbipia spawn. Mouth full of eggs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/17/2010, 4:44 pm

cheers Very nice!
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/17/2010, 4:47 pm

thats great!!!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/17/2010, 10:06 pm

Ghoulish_chaos wrote:
I just watched my first mbipi mbipia spawn. Mouth full of eggs.

Now we can start trading fish lol! Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 772341

Congrats! good
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next