UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???

Go down 
+5
moparace
alkomist
KMX
Holey Rock of Texas
CajunGator
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Empty
PostSubject: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 9:20 am

Well its time to move my fish from the 20L fry bare tank. I will start my mpimbwe 75g tank off with black tahatian sand and Holey Rock while they are at grow out stage (now some almost 3"). When they get bigger i want to switch to flat rock aquascaping. I need suggestions as to the rock i should use? There are so many kinds at the garden landscaping places, and i know some cannot be used in aquariums. I have a few pieces of petrified wood rocks i will use, but need other rocks. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 10:11 am

Slate and marble tile are what I use.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 10:15 am

flagstone
ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Gray_t11

slate
ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Blue2010

River Rock
ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Riverr10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 10:29 am

I would say hit a tile store and see if they have any busted marble tile you can have. I lucked out on mine, I found a huge stack of pink marble tile on the side of the road one day.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 10:32 am

Use both. That would look good with some PFS.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 10:44 am

thanks, i start my rock collection this weekend, after the snow melts, LOL
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime2/3/2010, 11:30 am

lucky!!!!! u got snow!!! haha
i lik the flag stone and slate:)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime2/3/2010, 11:40 am

what kind of rocks cannot be used in a tank?
Back to top Go down
moparace
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : Mickey Mouse Platie

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 11:31 pm

Now here's a though... Make ur rocks out of foam and cement so you could make custom caves and unique rock formations
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

Favorite Fish: : Red Devil, Red Terror, Green Terror...

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 11:36 pm

I might just do that
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 11:36 pm

well i have been collecting riverrock and flag stone... one day they will go in to the tank..
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 11:37 pm

I need to do that too, I live right next to a river lol too cold right now though
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 11:59 pm

does slate raise or lower ph?
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 12:13 am

I have never heard that it does either, have you?
Back to top Go down
Joe Reborn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Joe Reborn

Favorite Fish: : Red Festae, Frontosa, Red Zebra, Green Terror

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 12:28 am

Slate does not alter PH rocks like Holy Rock which is Linestone and a couple others alter PH. I use a couple of Holy Rocks along with River rocks that i got at the Garden center that are Flat and oval shape. River rock is good for Fronts because they are careless swimers. They Dart into the caves and the Smoth river rocks don't hurt them if they bump into them while getting to the safe spots. Slate and Obsidian rocks tend to have sharp edges and might hurt them while they swim carelessly into they caves.
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 6:41 am

Cajun, I had rocks in my frontosa tank as they were growing out but as they got older and more clumsy, I have ended up taking the rocks out because they would get dings and scratches on their head/hump. They like open waters and are less shy with little to no rock in their tank.
Back to top Go down
Joe Reborn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Joe Reborn

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 8:10 am

i agree Hong
Back to top Go down
JACK D
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
JACK D

Favorite Fish: : My fish, your fish, red fish, blue fish...

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 8:16 am

Same problem with moorii. They like to swim & never really took to caves anyway...
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 8:26 am

so they both like open tanks?
i heard that they also lik cave n stuff??
or is that just wen their fry?
Back to top Go down
Joe Reborn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Joe Reborn

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 8:36 am

on my Front Fry i only have 2 small holy rocks and they stay around those but they are not shy as every thinks. They know when its feeding time and all swim right to top of tank and stay around the top. not scared of me in any way. but yes i believe that they like open swimming space as they get older.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 8:40 am

So a few caves and some spawning rocks are about all they need? mooriis and fronts.
Back to top Go down
JACK D
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
JACK D

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 8:47 am

The moorii are open water swimmers for sure...
Back to top Go down
JACK D
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
JACK D

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 8:50 am

Fern wrote:
So a few caves and some spawning rocks are about all they need? mooriis and fronts.
The moorii really dont need anything but space. Mine do it in the corner on the sand (that dont sound like fun does it)... :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 8:52 am

lol! Sand is baaaaad lol!
So a nearly bare tank with just some odds and ends in it for me... Sounds like a plan!
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 9:06 am

GOOD TO know!!! now i can save myself some $$$ and work on rocks n stuff:)

thanx guys!!!! ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? 67702
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???   ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks.....  flat ones??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ROCKS, ROcks, Rocks, rocks..... flat ones???
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next