UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Algae!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Seven7
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Clowns, Seahorses, Tangs, Angels, Mandarin Goby, Starfish, Damsels, I mostly like the little guys.

Algae! Empty
PostSubject: Algae!   Algae! Icon_minitime12/13/2009, 4:42 pm

I have some questions and need help. My Biocube is cycling and there is an outbreak of maroon colored algae. There is hair algae also. Should I be concerned or will this go away after the cycle is over? Please help
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

Algae! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae!   Algae! Icon_minitime12/13/2009, 5:53 pm

Did you cure your rock before you placed it in the tank?
Back to top Go down

Algae! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae!   Algae! Icon_minitime12/13/2009, 6:27 pm

Seven7 wrote:
I have some questions and need help. My Biocube is cycling and there is an outbreak of maroon colored algae. There is hair algae also. Should I be concerned or will this go away after the cycle is over? Please help

is the aglae you are referring to more of a slimey looking stuff? and as far as hair algae look into your phosphates. a brown dusty looking algae is a sign of your tank going through its cycle but a red/marron slimey looking algae is in fact a bacterial slime and not an algae at all while the hair algae growth is a sign of phosphates being off. another thing that i have discovered to cause algae growth is bulbs needing replaced (this i have only noticed with power compact bulbs though)
Back to top Go down
Seven7
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Clowns, Seahorses, Tangs, Angels, Mandarin Goby, Starfish, Damsels, I mostly like the little guys.

Algae! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae!   Algae! Icon_minitime12/13/2009, 6:52 pm

It's just like a carpet on the sand it will just lift right up. I clean the sides of the tank atleast once a day because it grows up the sides of the "cube". I had three small live rocks in the tank for around 2 months and there was just a little brownish algae. Then I had some other rocks and old coral in another tank to get them ready for the "cube". There was not problems in that tank. Just after I put the new stuff in the "cube" (1-3 days) things went nuts. Nitrate and Nitrite was up, but just slightly.
I do have a actinic bulb out. I have a picture. How do you put a picture on here?
Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

Algae! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae!   Algae! Icon_minitime12/13/2009, 7:16 pm

worthlesswopic
Back to top Go down

Algae! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae!   Algae! Icon_minitime12/13/2009, 8:19 pm

hmmm the nitrate/nitite up sound like there was some die off on the stuff in your other tank, the carpet type stuff that lifts off sounds mor elike red bacterial slime than algae. try fixing your out bulb and do a waterchange on the tank.
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

Algae! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae!   Algae! Icon_minitime12/13/2009, 8:31 pm

Algae! 858205

I have some of the maroon looking slime in my nano(I've even seen it floating before). Margarita snails take care of it for me. I see it every now and then on the substance and powerheads. Never the rocks. What kind of cleaner crew do you have?
Back to top Go down
Seven7
Private
Private

Algae! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae!   Algae! Icon_minitime12/13/2009, 9:08 pm

I have a Lawnmower Blenny that I just got today. I will change the bulb and do the water change then see what happens. Now that you say die off maybe that is it
Back to top Go down

Algae! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae!   Algae! Icon_minitime12/13/2009, 11:59 pm

yeah die off could cause ammonia, nitrate, nitrite spikes. running a skimmer will help remove impurities from the die off
Back to top Go down

Algae! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae!   Algae! Icon_minitime2/3/2010, 7:23 pm

also for teh haior algae check your phosphates, they may be high.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Algae! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Algae!   Algae! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Algae!
Page 1 of 1