UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

How do I get rid of algae?

Go down 
+2
Rachael0805
philuponthepho
6 posters
AuthorMessage
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

How do I get rid of algae? Empty
PostSubject: How do I get rid of algae?   How do I get rid of algae? Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 8:35 pm

There is a bunch of algae that had developed on the glass in my planted tank. I put plecos in there but did not work. I tried removing it by using a aquarium brush without prevailing. I had to use a razor underwater to remove it (which is a bad thing of course). Anything that can be used to get rid of it? This algae is pretty hard to get rid of, its like coraline algae. I have tons of plants in there already that suck up all the nutrients and plecos dont work. Oh, and theres no algae anywhere else
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

Favorite Fish: : Red Devil, Red Terror, Green Terror...

PostSubject: Re: How do I get rid of algae?   How do I get rid of algae? Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 8:57 pm

All you can do it use a credit card or something like that to get it off. I had the same problem and I tried a scrubber, a magnetic class cleaner, then finally tried a credit card today (Fern suggested it) and it works great!
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: How do I get rid of algae?   How do I get rid of algae? Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 8:57 pm

Yeah but its everywhere. I've been using a razor blade.
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: How do I get rid of algae?   How do I get rid of algae? Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 9:08 pm

What kind of Pl*co? Not all pl*cos are algae eater.
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

PostSubject: Re: How do I get rid of algae?   How do I get rid of algae? Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 9:14 pm

Plecos dont normally eat the algae phil is talking about.....I have gone rounds with my pet store about this....sorry to say phil but you can empty the tank and scrub like you have never scrubbed before with one of those scrubbers with a handle on it but it will take you forever. It takes a long time for it to get that bad so once you do get it cleaned I would clean it whenever you see the spots.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: How do I get rid of algae?   How do I get rid of algae? Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 9:17 pm

Oh well, I guess ill live with it then. And for the plecos, I have bristlenose and reg ones.
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

PostSubject: Re: How do I get rid of algae?   How do I get rid of algae? Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 9:19 pm

lol you dont have to live with it....how big is the tank?
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: How do I get rid of algae?   How do I get rid of algae? Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 9:21 pm

What kind of Algae is it? My Regular bristlenose kept the green algae bloom in my 135G. Two of my 240G used to have brown algae bloom, now two big @$$ BN keeps it algae free. Just wonder what Kind of Algae you have Bristlenose won't chomp on.

BTW those Reg. Plecos are good for one thing...they poop a lot lol!
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: How do I get rid of algae?   How do I get rid of algae? Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 9:25 pm

Its a 55g. And the algae is circular spots on glass only. Its like coraline algae
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

PostSubject: Re: How do I get rid of algae?   How do I get rid of algae? Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 10:37 pm

Yep I know exactly what you are talking about.....it would take you about 30 mins....using the longer side of the card. Try it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do I get rid of algae?   How do I get rid of algae? Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 6:41 am

Ok, something is out of balance....In a planted tank there should hardly ever be more than a spot or 2 of algae.
Planted tank 101; In the planted tank you must find the balance of fertilizers, co2, and light. If those 3 things are unbalanced you will have an algae outbreak.

This is the info I need;
what kind of lights?
How long are they on for?
do you add co2 or excel?
whats the substrate?
Any root tabs used?
any liquid fertilizers used?
How often do you feed your fish?
Any outside light hitting the tank?
What kinds of plants?
And put up a pic of the tank so I may be able to see what your issue is.

Don't worry we will find the root of the issue.
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: How do I get rid of algae?   How do I get rid of algae? Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 6:32 pm

yupp something's out of wack...

water change, lessen light time, feed less, and get something to reduce the phosphate level.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: How do I get rid of algae?   How do I get rid of algae? Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 10:04 pm

Okay I figured it out(yes, I will figure things out LOL) and it turned out to be the Flourish I've been adding to every water change. It was $.70 a bottle(clearance, YMMV) so I oversquirted the water with it LOL. 1 bottle(rated up to 200g) for every 90% water change LOL!!! Its not my fault, it was cheap!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do I get rid of algae?   How do I get rid of algae? Icon_minitime2/17/2010, 6:03 am

Use 50% of what it says to use on the bottle. Thats what I do and never have any issues.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: How do I get rid of algae?   How do I get rid of algae? Icon_minitime2/18/2010, 2:46 am

sounds like gsa
Back to top Go down
luvemall
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: How do I get rid of algae?   How do I get rid of algae? Icon_minitime2/24/2010, 12:14 am

I use a razor blade too. I have a brackish tank for leopard puffers and the algae is like concrete. I turn off the filter, move the fish, use a razor blade and then a net, then turn filter back on to clean the rest of the water. Part of my problem is the lighting I think. I use half and half (white and blue) like what lots of people use in salt water, apparently the algae loves it. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: How do I get rid of algae?   How do I get rid of algae? Icon_minitime2/24/2010, 12:18 am

I figured out the reason my plants were dieing in the first place was lack of phosphates. Now I have too much.....irony huh?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do I get rid of algae?   How do I get rid of algae? Icon_minitime2/24/2010, 7:00 am

It does no harm to use a razor blade in a fish tank. That is all I use to scrape algae in my tanks. You do not need to move fish or turn off the filter. Just get in there and hold the blade in a way that fish cant accidentally bite it or anything. Leaving the filter on helps what you scrape land in a nice easily removable pile.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I get rid of algae?   How do I get rid of algae? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do I get rid of algae?
Page 1 of 1