UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Black silicone

Go down 
+4
nick a
JACK D
rfish
ElChanate
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ElChanate
Private
Private

Black silicone Empty
PostSubject: Black silicone   Black silicone Icon_minitime11/10/2009, 10:26 pm

Well that is the question some one know where i can buy black silicone for aquarium construccion? fish
Back to top Go down
rfish
Private
Private

Black silicone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black silicone   Black silicone Icon_minitime11/10/2009, 10:50 pm

You can buy it at your ACE hardware store

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1419000&CAWELAID=109366948
Back to top Go down
ElChanate
Private
Private

Black silicone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black silicone   Black silicone Icon_minitime11/10/2009, 10:55 pm

do u know if they carrier in a bigger tube for use whit a silicone gun?, is safe for fishes?.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
JACK D
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
JACK D

Favorite Fish: : My fish, your fish, red fish, blue fish...

Black silicone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black silicone   Black silicone Icon_minitime11/11/2009, 6:15 am

Do not use permatex!!!! I use it on my jeep & that stuff will slay fish. They may make an aquarium safe black silicone, you will have to do a lil research, but make sure it is an aquarium safe product, and dont let em tell you it is, make sure you read it. Form a gasket is nasty, nasty stuff.
Back to top Go down
nick a
Sergeant
Sergeant
nick a

Black silicone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black silicone   Black silicone Icon_minitime11/11/2009, 6:37 am

This is what you want to use. Black is available--scroll down to see the color chart.
Either GE I or GE II can be used (make SURE it's WINDOW & DOOR---NOT kitchen & bath!)
Many old timers think GE I is a little stronger of a bond..... but it releases a very potent smell when curing and needs to be used only in WELL- ventilated areas.
HTHs

http://www.caulkyourhome.com/ge-silicone-II-window-and-door.php

http://www.caulkyourhome.com/ge-silicone-I-window-and-door.php
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

Black silicone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black silicone   Black silicone Icon_minitime11/11/2009, 7:30 am

Do not use Silicone II. It has strong chemicals that kills mold and mildew. It will also kill beneficial bacteria and will prevent them from thriving in the tank. Silicone I is safe and I have used it many times to reseal tanks and build Pl*co caves.

Look it up at ebay. They have all-glass black aquarium silicone for sale.
Back to top Go down
K20Z3
Private
Private

Black silicone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black silicone   Black silicone Icon_minitime11/11/2009, 8:57 am

khrister wrote:
Do not use Silicone II. It has strong chemicals that kills mold and mildew. It will also kill beneficial bacteria and will prevent them from thriving in the tank. Silicone I is safe and I have used it many times to reseal tanks and build Pl*co caves.

Yes, All-Glass makes a black silicone. I have an All-Glass 72 bowfront and it has the black silicone seems. I have seen the black silicone for sale on bigals too.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

Black silicone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black silicone   Black silicone Icon_minitime11/11/2009, 11:53 am

khrister wrote:

yeah i agree. GE II will kill your fish in 48 hours. i have done it by mistack and cost me big time as i have to strip and reseal the tank.
Back to top Go down
nick a
Sergeant
Sergeant
nick a

Black silicone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black silicone   Black silicone Icon_minitime11/11/2009, 2:30 pm

I am in error. After reading all of the current label information.....Both K&B and W&D versions of GE II have mold/mildew 'cides in them. It used to only be in the K&B version.

note to self, "Stick with GE I only for now on!"
Back to top Go down
ElChanate
Private
Private

Black silicone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black silicone   Black silicone Icon_minitime11/14/2009, 10:55 pm

Thanks very much everyone your opinion is very important for me i really surprise about your help. usafishbox
Back to top Go down
OldTanks
USA Fishbox Sponsor
OldTanks

Favorite Fish: : http://photobucket.com/oldtanks

Black silicone Empty
PostSubject: RE: Black silicone   Black silicone Icon_minitime11/15/2009, 12:26 am

Yes, the "Type I" silicone is the one to use, NOT they "Type II"

If you notice the Type II says in the fine print on the label "Not For Aquariums"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Black silicone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black silicone   Black silicone Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black silicone
Page 1 of 1