UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Suggestions on transferring fish to new tank

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

Favorite Fish: : Metriaclima sp. "Msobo" Magunga

Suggestions on transferring fish to new tank Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions on transferring fish to new tank   Suggestions on transferring fish to new tank Icon_minitime8/2/2011, 5:00 pm

I recently purchased a bigger aquarium and i want to put the fish I have in my current tank into the new one. I'm not going to use the sand from my existing aquarium and I'm going with PFS. Since I'm changing the substrate do I still need to "cycle" the tank? I'll probably use the same filters for a little while as well.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on transferring fish to new tank   Suggestions on transferring fish to new tank Icon_minitime8/2/2011, 5:39 pm

I would fill it and give the water a few days to settle. Then swap over the fish and the filter together!
If you want to setup a new filtration system do it before you add the fish. You could always seed the new filtration system with the old filters but if you are not going to use the old aquarium then there is no reason to not use the filters.

Adding new substrate won't really matter. Some bacteria live in the substrate but the vast majority are going to be in the filter.

As long as you swap over the filters and fish at the same time you will be fine. If you later want to add another filter leave both filters setup in the tank for a few weeks and the old one will help jump start the fresh filter.
Back to top Go down
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on transferring fish to new tank   Suggestions on transferring fish to new tank Icon_minitime8/2/2011, 5:49 pm

That makes sense. I'm planning on getting a used canister filter from someone this weekend, he said it's already seeded. Would it be safe to use that filter as well or should I replace all the media and seed it myself? I plan on using this smaller aquarium as a grow out tank so it will still need the filters. I'm currently using a fluval 205 and a small penguin biowheel on a 30 gallon.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on transferring fish to new tank   Suggestions on transferring fish to new tank Icon_minitime8/2/2011, 5:59 pm

If it is already seeded the only concern would be what his bio load is. If yours is much greater it would likely cause a spike of ammonia/nitrite while the filter catches up.

You could leave all the filter setup on the big tank and then when you are ready to use the smaller as a grow out take the one filter off the larger and move it back to the small. That way they all stay cycled and will only need small adjustments for bio load.
Back to top Go down
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on transferring fish to new tank   Suggestions on transferring fish to new tank Icon_minitime8/2/2011, 6:06 pm

He said its being used as a spare on his 120g, ill be putting it in a 55g with about 12 fish at 2 in.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on transferring fish to new tank   Suggestions on transferring fish to new tank Icon_minitime8/2/2011, 6:15 pm

I don't really see that being an issue just have to keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels for the first two weeks. Might see a small spike but as long as it has been up and ready I don't really a problem haha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on transferring fish to new tank   Suggestions on transferring fish to new tank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggestions on transferring fish to new tank
Page 1 of 1