UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Tropical tank mates and tank sizes

Go down 
+6
Yeti
Kasshan
Jeepluv77
Flippercon
Glabe
Pictus catfish guy
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Pictus catfish guy
Private First Class
Private First Class
Pictus catfish guy

Favorite Fish: : tigerbarbs

Tropical tank mates and tank sizes - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Tropical tank mates and tank sizes   Tropical tank mates and tank sizes - Page 4 Icon_minitime7/11/2011, 12:41 am

First topic message reminder :

tropical, aquarium, tank, mates, fish, 10 gallon, tiger barbs, pictus catfish, plecostomus

Last edited by Pictus catfish guy on 7/11/2011, 12:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5

PostSubject: Re: Tropical tank mates and tank sizes   Tropical tank mates and tank sizes - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/7/2011, 6:53 pm

use aquaclear filters if yur gna do HOB. i inherited a 20yr old one and it still works perfectly

Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Tropical tank mates and tank sizes   Tropical tank mates and tank sizes - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/7/2011, 7:07 pm

Whatever you can get your hands on will work to be honest. There is a ton of personal preference when it comes to HOB's.

From what I have seen they are all close to the same designs and many times the cartridges are interchangeable. It comes down to proper size filter for the tank and proper stocking of that tank. You keep two two thing in mind when you buy one and you will likely have no problems with any filter. Don't forget though that the internet is a great source of reviews and further long term use for these items. Not only limited to the forums here but across the whole web.

Back to top Go down
Yeti
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, Mbuna & Haps/Peacocks
Bitten by the saltbug

PostSubject: Re: Tropical tank mates and tank sizes   Tropical tank mates and tank sizes - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/7/2011, 11:19 pm

I'd second on the Aquaclear, I have a couple, a 110 that runs lovely, and another on a 20 long.
Check out the Tetratec 500, HOB. I was looking at buying one used, and decided not to after I read the reviews. Searching on the net for reviews is a good way to see just what the general opinion is.
As for a canister, keep an eye for those too. I picked up a Eheim 2233 for $40, doesn't have the ceramic tubes, but works great, so as Striking said "they are out there", you just need to keep looking.
Advantage of canister over HOB is that canisters are near silent, no running water sound, and often less frequent cleaning.... but still weekly water changes no matter what you have.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: Tropical tank mates and tank sizes   Tropical tank mates and tank sizes - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/7/2011, 11:37 pm

if youre gna go canister filter. you might as well make your own. im planning on upgrading my cruddy air/sponge filter in my Crayfish tank to a DIY canister.

for my main tanks tho, im partial to AquaClear with its efficient and minimalist part design. they have kept the exact same design and interchangeable replacement parts for the last 30 some odd years . whereas other brands will change designs every few years and generally make it a pain for you if a part breaks to replace. i guess im nostalgic or perhaps just consistent
Back to top Go down
Pictus catfish guy
Private First Class
Private First Class
Pictus catfish guy

PostSubject: Re: Tropical tank mates and tank sizes   Tropical tank mates and tank sizes - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/8/2011, 9:24 am

im pissed cuz my pictus catfish died durring the night. he was doing fine fora while i guess the sudden change of temperature caused his death. =,,,,,,,((((((((((((( super sad face
Back to top Go down
KingBichir
Admin
Admin
KingBichir

Favorite Fish: : all of them

PostSubject: Re: Tropical tank mates and tank sizes   Tropical tank mates and tank sizes - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/8/2011, 12:45 pm

That sucks. I'm on the fence with the HOB filters, I like my Ac 500s and my emp 400s. Gotta say the Ac is was easier to get going again after you unplug it
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: Tropical tank mates and tank sizes   Tropical tank mates and tank sizes - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/8/2011, 1:02 pm

well dude. dont get anything new. if i was in your position right now. id start over from scratch. go to your lfs and get a credit on yur remaining fish.

its not often u get a fresh start

take everything youve learned and apply it to your new setup in the future. at least this way you wont have to do patch up jobs which is a hassle and can get expensive/

my philosophy is if you gna get something you love and gna have for a lifetime you might as well do it right the first time.

also start a new thread lol!
Back to top Go down
Pictus catfish guy
Private First Class
Private First Class
Pictus catfish guy

PostSubject: Re: Tropical tank mates and tank sizes   Tropical tank mates and tank sizes - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/8/2011, 3:20 pm

so ur saying bring them to my lfs and sell get a refund. maybe they'll take care of them until i have it all set up. but idk ive had the tropical tank setup for a few months.
i think tht their fine now but it was just the pictus tht scared me. but idk wat i should do now.
Back to top Go down
Yeti
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, Mbuna & Haps/Peacocks
Bitten by the saltbug

PostSubject: Re: Tropical tank mates and tank sizes   Tropical tank mates and tank sizes - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/9/2011, 1:01 am

Pictus as I see it you now have a 55G tank, you need to get some filters to cope with the tank size, and you need to get the tank cycled.

It's time to sit down, think about what you want in the tank, then read up on the fish.
If you want a shoal of Tiger Barbs then great, you will have a tank that can accommodate a nice shoal, but think about what else you may want in there. Read up more on Tiger Barbs, their habits, their needs on water, and environment. Then see what they are compatible with Angels, Clown Loaches and Neon/Cardinals are all South American, but Angels love a Neon snack..so read up.
There is no one on this forum I bet that hasn't miss matched at some time, we all have had to learn, and all have had the corpses to witness our lessons.
Decide what you really want, then do your research. Unlike me, when I was your age, I had a small town library as my only source of information, you have the internet and a bunch of folks here... that have made the mistakes.
Every tank you set up is a mini world (that's how I picture it) and you have to make sure the place is ready before you introduce the inhabitants. Take your time...and dam it's hard I know...get it set up right, the water right, and then add your fish..gradually.

End of sermon
Back to top Go down
Pictus catfish guy
Private First Class
Private First Class
Pictus catfish guy

PostSubject: Re: Tropical tank mates and tank sizes   Tropical tank mates and tank sizes - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/10/2011, 7:30 am

from what ive heard tiger barbs dont go well with angels because tigerbarbs are fin nippers and particularly the long finned
Back to top Go down
Pictus catfish guy
Private First Class
Private First Class
Pictus catfish guy

PostSubject: Re: Tropical tank mates and tank sizes   Tropical tank mates and tank sizes - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/10/2011, 7:31 am

**particullarly go for long finned.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tropical tank mates and tank sizes   Tropical tank mates and tank sizes - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tropical tank mates and tank sizes
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4