UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank

Go down 
+12
D'Claro
TheGodParticle
Flippercon
BFinley
KMX
Meredith
Holey Rock of Texas
CSnyder00
proyect01
Ben
strikingthematch
dnphillips08
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
dnphillips08
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
dnphillips08

Favorite Fish: : Discus

Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Empty
PostSubject: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/3/2011, 2:11 pm

Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank 75GFTS
"___" *Waiting for a Name to strike me*
Filtration:
-Marineland C360 w/ PURA Amazon instead of Carbon
Lighting:
-Aqueon 48" Dual T5 Fixture w/ 1x 28W 6700K and 1x Colormax
-Aqueon 48" 32W 8000K
Substrate:
-Pool Filter Sand w/ Flourish Root Tabs
Fauna:
-6 Discus
-4 Clown Loach
-13 Neon Tetra
-1 BN Pleco
Flora:
Amazon Sword
Anacharis
Pennywort
Pygmy Chain Sword
Riccia Fluitans
Aponogeton
Java Fern
Wisteria
Anubias

*I rescaped the tank earlier this week and that's why it looks a little wild at the moment. The driftwood decided to be very difficult and took plants up with it when it lifted. So the scape will be finished once it sinks.*

Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank DiscusLighting
Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Scribbled1
Back to top Go down
dnphillips08
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
dnphillips08

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/3/2011, 2:17 pm

Any thoughts and/or suggestions are welcome! Forgot to say that
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/3/2011, 2:19 pm

Great looking tank! The landscaping for it is pretty darn nice. I keep my discs in a bare bottom but as they reach full size I will move them into their final home which is my current work in progress haha.

What size are those discus?
Back to top Go down
dnphillips08
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
dnphillips08

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/3/2011, 2:22 pm

They're about 4 inches they have been growing like mad since I got them. I do daily 30% water changes which is supposed to be the trick, plus lots of food. This is my first time with discus but I had always wanted them and man oh man am I happy I bought these guys.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/3/2011, 2:27 pm

Where did you get them from and what size were they?

Well at least you have rounded the curve with keeping them. It seems like there are far fewer problems once they get into that 4+ inch size. Still a delicate fish but not as bad as everyone thinks.
You can see some older pictures of mine but they are in a 75 gallon with a 55 gallon sump. 30% water changes daily and I feed them as much as I can. That is close to every 3 hours it seems like. Really amazing fish with great personalities. I can't walk in the room without them swarming the glass lol.
Back to top Go down
dnphillips08
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
dnphillips08

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/3/2011, 3:11 pm

I got them from animal jungle around 2.5-3" because I have heard that Hans Discus are good quality and Animal Jungle is one of his "dealers." My littlest one has been in my hospital tank for almost a week now, but he is starting to look like he is coming around. The rest are all healthy looking and man do they have an appetite. They are the best fish I've ever had. Mine swarm the glass as well and I swear they watch TV with me. Have a pic of your tank?
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/3/2011, 7:03 pm

Yeah they get some really nice Hans discus in there but you have to get them within a week or two IMO otherwise they start to go down hill. Their prices when you compare to what Hans wants directly are not horrible considering you don't have to pay shipping but still.

I have seen some really nice ones in there but I often see sickly looking ones after a few weeks or they are under constant quarantine. I have also taken note that their smaller tank up front nearly always have 2-3 discus in at a time. I know they will sometimes put their pairs in there but they really (aside from pairs) should be kept in greater numbers. I keep trying to find more and more local breeders and keepers to get fish from because the quality is often better and I can make better connections.

Great looking fish by the way. When you start with quality discus like Hans the game is much better. Two links to see mine they are MUCH bigger now. I have to get some new pics of their growth but it is pretty amazing haha.

Discus tank link (this tank is now bare bottom for better cleaning)

Hand feeding link
Back to top Go down
dnphillips08
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
dnphillips08

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/3/2011, 8:45 pm

Your fish look great! I've had some trouble with the smallest one I got from there but today his color came back. Which is good because I thought he was a goner. It'd would be awesome to get them locally because shipping is killer. Thanks by the way. For the most part the discus I have from there are doing good. They do look much better than they did in the store though.
Back to top Go down
dnphillips08
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
dnphillips08

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/3/2011, 11:28 pm

Some more pictures from today:
Ol' Blue
Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank OlBlue2
My Pigeon Blood ie Grumpy
Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank PigeonBlood2
Clown Loach
Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank ClownLoach2
Back to top Go down
dnphillips08
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
dnphillips08

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/3/2011, 11:29 pm

And more:
Neons
Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Neons1
BN Pleco
Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank BNPleco
Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami
Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank DwarfG1
My little guy, who looks much much better today
Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank LittleGuy2
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/4/2011, 8:01 am

Looks great Dan.
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

Favorite Fish: : Aulonocara species

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/4/2011, 3:43 pm

Very nice setup and pictures !!! yes
Back to top Go down
dnphillips08
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
dnphillips08

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/4/2011, 5:25 pm

Thanks guys! I did do some upgrading today:

Filtration: Marineland C-360 & Fluval 205

Lighting:
-Aqueon 48" Dual T5 Fixture w/ 2x 28W 6700K
-Aqueon 48" 32W 6700K
-Marineland 24" LED Light w/ White and Blue (Nightlight/Spotlight to boost light on the sandy side of the tank ie the "lake" side)

Heater: Fluval E300 Digital Heater *I mostly liked it because it has a heater guard and monitors temp which it displays on a LCD screen on the front of the heater, bye bye ugly thermometer*
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/4/2011, 5:36 pm

Very Nice!
Back to top Go down
dnphillips08
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
dnphillips08

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/6/2011, 12:05 am

Well a little bit of an update:
-My littlest discus has recovered nicely and has returned to his home tank.
-I attempted to cultivate live blackworms and failed. Ended up with a stinky mess and that's about it.
-I bought a new Quad T5HO w/ LED Moonlights light fixture off of ebay. I've been wanting to buy one of these lights for quite a while as they are inexpensive T5HO fixtures. Here's the link to the one I bought-216W Quad T5HO W/ LED Moonlights Fixture
If anybody has had any experience with these let me know, I think I remembering they worked well a long time ago but I'm not sure.
-My riccia fluitans has been driving me mad so I am did a little DIY work to try and turn it into a carpet. I suppose I'll post more on that tomorrow after work.
-Also rescaped more because my driftwood is finally starting to sink, key word starting. lol
I'll upload pics tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/6/2011, 10:27 am

wow
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Favorite Fish: : As far as fresh water goes, it's Bettas!
For marine fish; Firefish, Cardinalfish, Gobies, Dragonets, and Sharks...

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/6/2011, 12:03 pm

Holy WOW Batman!

That is just awesome, and your fish are gorgeous...all of them! Nice job!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/7/2011, 9:50 am

You need to put a pic on the contest. Very nice pics. usafishbox
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/7/2011, 10:09 am

drool yes usafishbox
Back to top Go down
dnphillips08
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
dnphillips08

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/7/2011, 4:25 pm

Here are the pics I promised of the new scape:
A FTS *Sorry it's small*
Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank 75GFTS3
My Attempt at making a Riccia Fluitans Carpet *Hope it grows in well*
Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank RicciaMat
I think they like it, or they're just waiting for bloodworms...
Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank NewDiscus1
And if you didn't see, there are 2 more fish in the tank now. After some discussion, I bought two more discus. I bought two Brilliant Turquoise Discus from Hans. Hans is an excellent breeder and breeds the most beautiful fish, plus he is a really nice, great guy. All of my discus are from Hans one way or the other, if you think mine are pretty you should look at some of his other discus. I can't wait to do more business with the guy because he was so nice. I suppose I should post some pics, huh?
The braver big one:
Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank HansDiscus1
The smaller shyer one:
Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank HansDiscus2b
Back to top Go down
dnphillips08
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
dnphillips08

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/7/2011, 4:26 pm

Thanks for all the compliments! You're making my fish blush lol!
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

Favorite Fish: : Aulonocara species

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/7/2011, 5:16 pm

I allways love to see quality fish Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank 772341
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/7/2011, 6:01 pm

Very nice work, I'm glad there are some discus keepers in the area. I need to pick some brains on the care of these guys. Good luck with your carpet.
Back to top Go down
dnphillips08
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
dnphillips08

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/7/2011, 6:06 pm

I'd be happy to answer anything I can! Or just blabber on about them :D
Back to top Go down
dnphillips08
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
dnphillips08

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime7/7/2011, 8:50 pm

I am thinking about going Pressurized CO2 soon, does anyone have any experience in the area?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank   Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dan's 75G Planted Discus Tank
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next