UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Clown loach export bans upheld

Go down 
+5
Jeepluv77
Yeti
Ben
natikah
KMX
9 posters
AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Clown loach export bans upheld Empty
PostSubject: Clown loach export bans upheld   Clown loach export bans upheld Icon_minitime6/23/2011, 4:08 pm

Clown loach export bans upheld 4d778d082107e

Copyright © Alamy

Kalimantan (Indonesian Borneo) is to maintain laws banning the export of Clown loaches above 15cm/6” to protect vital brood stocks. That’s the size at which Clowns are thought to start spawning.

Traditionally, some 20 million Clown loaches are exported from Indonesia every year, all wild harvested. At this time, and despite some unfounded reports of hormone-induced breeding, no successful farming has yet taken place with this species.

Current collection methods involve lengths of hollowed bamboo lowered into habitats and the fish congregate inside them. When removed from the water, the loaches stay put and can be removed.

This technique and subsequent trade of the fish has created income for many families throughout the region, many of whom now rely upon it.
Back to top Go down
natikah
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
natikah

Favorite Fish: : fish, fish, fish

PostSubject: Re: Clown loach export bans upheld   Clown loach export bans upheld Icon_minitime6/23/2011, 4:12 pm

I'm going to start doing some research on these cute guys. I may have to add some to my 75g when i get it set up.
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: Clown loach export bans upheld   Clown loach export bans upheld Icon_minitime6/23/2011, 4:18 pm

I have really began to love my clown loaches.
Back to top Go down
natikah
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
natikah

PostSubject: Re: Clown loach export bans upheld   Clown loach export bans upheld Icon_minitime6/23/2011, 4:24 pm

would they do ok in a tank with goldfish and panda corys?
Back to top Go down
Yeti
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, Mbuna & Haps/Peacocks
Bitten by the saltbug

PostSubject: Re: Clown loach export bans upheld   Clown loach export bans upheld Icon_minitime6/23/2011, 6:26 pm

I have 2 in with my Peacocks and they are doing great, growing steadily. They have plenty of character, and make that great "tocking" sound when excited and eating as they bite their food.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: Clown loach export bans upheld   Clown loach export bans upheld Icon_minitime6/24/2011, 9:25 am

I love clown loaches! But had no idea they were all wild caught. :-/ That would explain why death rates are so high among those under two inches.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: Clown loach export bans upheld   Clown loach export bans upheld Icon_minitime6/24/2011, 9:30 am

You know, I was just thinking about purchasing a small one to transfer from tank to tank in order to eat all of my extra pond snails. Will they root up/destroy mosses?
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: Clown loach export bans upheld   Clown loach export bans upheld Icon_minitime6/24/2011, 9:37 am

Just read a couple articles on them. Won't work with soft plants - even when small. Well, good luck to those of you with suitable community aquariums. I'll just have to enjoy the pics.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: Clown loach export bans upheld   Clown loach export bans upheld Icon_minitime6/24/2011, 9:52 am

They might. They also don't do well kept singly and get stressed anytime they're moved. Look in to maybe a yoyo loach(Botia almorhae) or queen burmese(Botia kuboti). Both eat snails and are safer for your plants, very attractive, and much hardier than the clown loach. All loaches do best kept in schools but the clowns really do require it. Yoyo's seem to be the easiet to adapt to not being in a school. They're like the happy puppies of the fish world. Good food, clean water, and nice tankmates and they're happy. Oh, and while some loaches, like the clowns, are notorius for uprooting plants(I never had a problem with it though but kept them in groups of 8) all loaches will to an extent if you malaysian trumpet snails that burrow. Here's a link to my favorite sight for loaches. Pretty much any of the Botia species will devour snails but some are rather aggressive.

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/species-index
Back to top Go down
natikah
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
natikah

PostSubject: Re: Clown loach export bans upheld   Clown loach export bans upheld Icon_minitime6/24/2011, 10:09 am

thanks for the link. I'm going to check it out cause i'm certainly interested in them. i don't have to worry about plants as i use only artificial. i can't even keep a house plant alive!
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

PostSubject: Re: Clown loach export bans upheld   Clown loach export bans upheld Icon_minitime6/24/2011, 10:18 am

Don't feel bad! I do good with aquarium plants but I couldn't even grow dandelions if I wanted to. I've got a container garden trying to grow peppers and tomatoes and my brother feels sorry for my plants. Lol
Back to top Go down
natikah
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
natikah

PostSubject: Re: Clown loach export bans upheld   Clown loach export bans upheld Icon_minitime6/24/2011, 10:29 am

I've been thinking of attempting some live plants when I get my 75 up and running but I'm going to start with the easy stuff. Just got to figure out which plants those are. lol.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Clown loach export bans upheld   Clown loach export bans upheld Icon_minitime6/24/2011, 11:33 am

Jeepluv77 sorry to see you can grow tomatoes. I put up 48 quart jars of tomayoes and gave away so many that I can't count.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

PostSubject: Re: Clown loach export bans upheld   Clown loach export bans upheld Icon_minitime6/24/2011, 11:50 am

I need some pointers! Lol
Back to top Go down
dnphillips08
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
dnphillips08

Favorite Fish: : Discus

PostSubject: Re: Clown loach export bans upheld   Clown loach export bans upheld Icon_minitime7/3/2011, 11:44 pm

I absolutely love these fish! They are very personable and love to dance :D I had a few who were 6"+ while I was in Charleston but when I got restationed I had to rehome them :( but I have some small ones in my 75 with my discus and they are doing great
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: Clown loach export bans upheld   Clown loach export bans upheld Icon_minitime7/4/2011, 1:44 am

I have three of these guys and they are pretty layed back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clown loach export bans upheld   Clown loach export bans upheld Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1