UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Two 40G breeders cracked...

Go down 
+3
CajunGator
Holey Rock of Texas
Dabula
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dabula
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Dabula

Favorite Fish: : Any and All Peacock Cichlids

Two 40G breeders cracked... Empty
PostSubject: Two 40G breeders cracked...   Two 40G breeders cracked... Icon_minitime6/9/2011, 1:48 am

So, some jack a$$, me, put two 40 breeders, bottom drilled, outside his shed. Thinking that any day he would get around to finishing the cleaning he didn't worry about the slight slope they were sitting on and now the bottom glass has cracked on both. Is there any way to fix these, or still use them? Like if I build a completely flat base for the bottom glass and silicone all the cracks? They are vein like cracks, not just one clean crack... I have lifted them and moved them to a dry area and they seemed somewhat stable, which surprised me, as I was ready for the bottom to completely fall out.

Do I need to replace the bottom glass? If so, best way to accomplish? Any advice, or prior experience appreciated! This dummy tanks you! Yep, tanks again, in advance!
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Two 40G breeders cracked...   Two 40G breeders cracked... Icon_minitime6/9/2011, 7:40 am

wow. sorry to hear that. i would replace the bottom glass because 80 gallons of water is a bunch on your floor lol. with that being said it might be cheaper / easier to just buy new ones off CL. good luck.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Two 40G breeders cracked...   Two 40G breeders cracked... Icon_minitime6/9/2011, 10:55 am

you would almost have to tear the entire tank down, replace bottom and rebuild the tank to ensure that no leaks from any other areas.... why take a chance... would definitely be an all day job for those two tanks!..
Good Luck!!!
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: Two 40G breeders cracked...   Two 40G breeders cracked... Icon_minitime7/7/2011, 5:28 am

much like using 2nd handed syringes to save money; so are "refurbished" glass fish tanks. just get another one.peace of mind instead of always worrying whether did a good enough job.
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: Two 40G breeders cracked...   Two 40G breeders cracked... Icon_minitime7/7/2011, 5:46 am

Unfortunately the bottom pane of glass is really under the the 4 vertical panes. So removing the bottom brace and glass needs to ne done. I would just get new ones and save the other panes for replacements just in case there is another accident. Good luck to you.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Two 40G breeders cracked...   Two 40G breeders cracked... Icon_minitime7/7/2011, 8:11 am

Holey Rock of Texas wrote:
wow. sorry to hear that. i would replace the bottom glass because 80 gallons of water is a bunch on your floor lol. with that being said it might be cheaper / easier to just buy new ones off CL. good luck.

Two 40G breeders cracked... 858205
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Favorite Fish: : As far as fresh water goes, it's Bettas!
For marine fish; Firefish, Cardinalfish, Gobies, Dragonets, and Sharks...

PostSubject: Re: Two 40G breeders cracked...   Two 40G breeders cracked... Icon_minitime7/7/2011, 12:25 pm

Oh man! That sucks!!! I think, if it were me anyway, that I would listen to the others and just replace them. But then, I'm a professional worrywart and would never be able to rest if I tried to fix them myself....
Good luck to ya.
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: Two 40G breeders cracked...   Two 40G breeders cracked... Icon_minitime7/7/2011, 12:39 pm

Meredith wrote:
Oh man! That sucks!!! I think, if it were me anyway, that I would listen to the others and just replace them. But then, I'm a professional worrywart and would never be able to rest if I tried to fix them myself....
Good luck to ya.

Most of us worry about fixing a broken or leaky tank. I just resealed my first one last weekend. The main thing is patience. In this sitation I would replace the tanks but I would save the good glass and braces for later repairs or practice. Once i have the new tanks I would order a new pane an try it out. Either way you learn something new and if it doesnt work out you have materials to fix another or have someone fix them for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two 40G breeders cracked...   Two 40G breeders cracked... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Two 40G breeders cracked...
Page 1 of 1