UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids; mostly peacocks and haps

Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Empty
PostSubject: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime5/29/2011, 9:13 pm

Hey, All! I have a Pseudotropheus sp. "Williamsi North" juvie that is about one and a half inches long. All of a sudden, he has a large bulge in his abdominal area on the left side. It's almost blocked looking and not really rounded. I don't think it's bloat because he's eating fine acting normally, and has good color. What could this be? A tumor or something, maybe?

I can't seem to get a good photo of it.
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

Favorite Fish: : black false percula, spotted mandarin

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime5/29/2011, 10:04 pm

cat really help you out with that one.. your in the saltwater forum part
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime5/29/2011, 10:23 pm

What is he being fed? Many Cichlids are know to easily get bloat due to their long intestinal tracts. If I had to guess something in the abdominal region it would be bloat or also know as Malawi Bloat in these African Cichlids. Look up some pictures of it and see if it matches what your seeing or better yet get a picture of it for us. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime5/31/2011, 10:47 pm

Yes, I thought Bloat, but he's acting and eating normally, not like they have Bloat... Today it's bigger, almost like a protrusion...
Back to top Go down
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 10:54 am

Anyone?
Back to top Go down
jake
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
jake

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 4:29 pm

fish will continue to eat w/ bloat for as long as they can.it's probably their best chance of surviving.trying to push it through
Back to top Go down
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 8:03 pm

Well, usually with Bloat, they get sort of listless and stay near the top or bottom, often even before abdominal distention. This fish is still very active, colorful and eating normally. The protrusion isn't like abdominal bloating, it's more like something on the inside almost ready poke through his right side. I wish I could get a good pic.
Back to top Go down
Raschael
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Raschael

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 8:59 pm

Try dosing the tank with epsom if you haven't already, 1 tbsp/5 gallons
Back to top Go down
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:01 pm

I use 1 tsp per five now... you think I should bump it up? Won't that make the water too hard?
Back to top Go down
Raschael
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Raschael

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:11 pm

If you have a hospital tank, I would put it in there to up the dose of the epsom. If not, it still might be okay. You could also try a 10 minute "bath" for the fish in a bucket of tank water that has epsom salt: 2 TSP/1 gallon. I would not continue to feed the fish that is affected. Most of the time, if a fish has bloat, it will not eat nor be active, like stated above.
Back to top Go down
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:16 pm

So, you think it's bloat, too? Hmmm. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I didn't think so...
Back to top Go down
Raschael
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Raschael

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:18 pm

No, I don't think it's bloat. You stated that it is still eating, right? Most of the time, fish with bloat will not eat. It does sound like it is constipated though. What's the diet like? and what kind of fish is it?
Back to top Go down
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:28 pm

It's a Pseudotropheus Williamsi North, about 1.5 inches... It almost looks like there is a pointed object trying to poke through his side.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:28 pm

It is a Malawi Cichlid. That is why the first question I asked is what is it being fed because a meaty diet for most of those fish in the area will spell Malawi bloat...
Back to top Go down
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:29 pm

I feed NLS...
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:30 pm

Look anything like this? Malawi Bloat
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:31 pm

NLS is some good stuff at least it has always worked for me.
Back to top Go down
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:32 pm

No, not at all... it's almost like a corner piece of a Dorito is stuck in his belly and poking out one side.
Back to top Go down
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:32 pm

Yeah, that's all I feed.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:36 pm

As others have suggested perhaps an intestinal parasite?
Back to top Go down
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:38 pm

Possibility, I guess... I would think he'd be acting ill. Maybe I'll buy some of the NLS Thera formula for parasites.
Back to top Go down
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:38 pm

I'm going to try again to get a pic.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:40 pm

Yeah I agree it seems strange he is still eating and acting fine. Based off your description you would think he would be seriously stressed.
Back to top Go down
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:41 pm

I'm almost thinking it's a tumor or something.
Back to top Go down
Raschael
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Raschael

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime6/2/2011, 9:58 pm

We just got a williamsi! :) I would try an antiparasitic. The epsom bath wouldn't hurt either, just don't stress him out too much. Keep us posted, hope it turns out okay :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?   Strange protrusion on one of my fish!  Any input? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Strange protrusion on one of my fish! Any input?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next