UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

55 Gallon lighting

Go down 
+2
fishface30
strawman1985
6 posters
AuthorMessage
strawman1985
strawman1985

Favorite Fish: : Jack Dempsey...Red Tail Shark... Severum... Raphael Cat...Cardinals...Cory's... Hy511's There are many more as well

55 Gallon lighting Empty
PostSubject: 55 Gallon lighting   55 Gallon lighting Icon_minitime5/26/2011, 10:12 pm

So Im setting up my 55 gallon aquarium and my light fixtures are M.I.A. Any inexpensive solutions? I still have the lids that the lights sit on but not sure if I will be using them. I guess it depends on what my options are. Thanks everyone.
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

55 Gallon lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon lighting   55 Gallon lighting Icon_minitime5/26/2011, 10:30 pm

depends of what you are needing the lights for? fish only? corals? live plants?
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Favorite Fish: : Jack Dempsey...Red Tail Shark... Severum... Raphael Cat...Cardinals...Cory's... Hy511's There are many more as well

55 Gallon lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon lighting   55 Gallon lighting Icon_minitime5/26/2011, 10:36 pm

I would like to have plants. i have 2 other aquariums and would be harvesting some plants from them. Nothing overly difficult. Java Fern Banana and a few other hardy plants
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

55 Gallon lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon lighting   55 Gallon lighting Icon_minitime5/26/2011, 10:41 pm

gotcha. well then it sounds like you're wanting a low tech planted tank. you may be able to get by with home depot type shop lights.
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

55 Gallon lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon lighting   55 Gallon lighting Icon_minitime5/26/2011, 10:43 pm

sweet I may give that a shot
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

55 Gallon lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon lighting   55 Gallon lighting Icon_minitime5/26/2011, 10:45 pm

cool. you might want to do some internet research on low tech planted tanks, i think with T8 style light bulbs found in the shop lights, you'll need something like 1.5-2 watts per gallon.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

55 Gallon lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon lighting   55 Gallon lighting Icon_minitime5/26/2011, 11:00 pm

Buy a shop light at Home Depot or Lowe's with good bulbs.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

55 Gallon lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon lighting   55 Gallon lighting Icon_minitime5/26/2011, 11:19 pm

like doctor who said shop light, get some tin foil , and 6,500k t8 bulbs should be 20-25 total. you won't need much light for crypts,java ferns,vals, and sags.
Back to top Go down
Dabula
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Dabula

Favorite Fish: : Any and All Peacock Cichlids

55 Gallon lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon lighting   55 Gallon lighting Icon_minitime5/27/2011, 12:45 am

I used 4' shop light with two T8 6500k bulbs on my 120G for a while, but it had a yellowish tint to it... My other tanks have the actual lid fitting lights and these don't match, and I prefer the blue crisp look. I still don't have a fix for this and tried three different bulbs to no avail... Any suggestions, or similar experiences?
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

55 Gallon lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon lighting   55 Gallon lighting Icon_minitime5/27/2011, 1:07 am

try a 10,000k bulb it will give you the more blue you are after, or a antic white 10,000k. plants will photosynsis at 6,500 to 10000k. also remember dawn is around 3,500k midday is 6,500-6,700k and night is 10k.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

55 Gallon lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon lighting   55 Gallon lighting Icon_minitime5/27/2011, 2:04 am

Also check out craigslist for lighting...I have purchased 6 4' t-5 or power compact sets for under $30 each with the lights and usually spare lights. t-5 bulbs have drop dramatically in price and I have been buying them for about $10 for the 10,000k bulbs and about $12 for the 6700k bulbs. Home depot just started selling the 65ook bulbs for around $6 I have had real good luck on the ge 6500k bulbs t-12 size in my industrial fixtures.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

55 Gallon lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: 55 Gallon lighting   55 Gallon lighting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

55 Gallon lighting
Page 1 of 1