UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

lighting

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
keeperofkillers
Private
Private
keeperofkillers

Favorite Fish: : trimac,dovii,and jags

lighting Empty
PostSubject: lighting   lighting Icon_minitime2/4/2011, 7:23 pm

hey does anyone know if a black light will hurt fish?
Back to top Go down
eli322
Sergeant
Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Discus crazy i have serpae and neon tetras fancy guppys in every color swordtails mollies cichlids a catfish thats 2 feet long by himself well except for his turtle friend groumi tons of aquatic plants

lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: lighting   lighting Icon_minitime2/4/2011, 7:27 pm

It usually depends most on the species of fish they usually don't mind
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: lighting   lighting Icon_minitime2/4/2011, 7:30 pm

Nope wont hurt.... unless your putting it in your tank... that might hurt lol!

If you have plants or fish that need to develope color you might want to stick with regular lights till your fish get all their nice pretty colors.

I know alot of people use a black light at night for their nocturnal fish.
Back to top Go down
keeperofkillers
Private
Private
keeperofkillers

Favorite Fish: : trimac,dovii,and jags

lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: lighting   lighting Icon_minitime2/4/2011, 8:07 pm

yeah adult jags.....and was thinging of a black light ontop next to my coral life light......wanna see if it makes the spoting on them pop out
Back to top Go down
Cohazard
Sergeant
Sergeant
Cohazard

Favorite Fish: : I love the hobby as a whole and I like keeping all types of fish. I can narrow it down to Polypterus delhezi, Erpetoichthys clabaricus, Carinotetraodon irrubesco, angelfish and live bearers.

lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: lighting   lighting Icon_minitime2/5/2011, 1:43 am

keeperofkillers wrote:
yeah adult jags.....and was thinging of a black light ontop next to my coral life light......wanna see if it makes the spoting on them pop out

I don't think it will.

The reason being is that you are matching two different phenomenon of light absorption and reflection.

Most fish are iridescent and in order to see this beautiful effect, the best thing to do is angle the light correctly above the tank (lights towards the front of the tank work best).

Light absorption is what causes fluorescence, that is what glows under black light. The only fresh water fish I know of that is truly fluorescent are Glofish.
Back to top Go down

lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: lighting   lighting Icon_minitime2/5/2011, 5:18 am

Black light produces a lot of heat and I forget which UV ray that is harmful. It is recommended to use only for 15 to 20 min at the max.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: lighting   lighting Icon_minitime2/5/2011, 6:00 am

Advanced Aquarist Magazine
Steve Tyree
In this opening section he concentrates on an examination of the photosynthetically active radiation (PAR) output of 6,500K, 10,000K and 20,000K halide bulbs and compares their respective strengths and weaknesses with respect to coral pigmentation. He also presents interesting notes on the effects of shading on color.

The main section of this presentation however is centered on the topic of colorful coral pigmentation. Tyree discusses the three main types of coral pigments and recent scientific research about these pigments. In what was to me the most exciting section of his presentation, he outlines a technique he refers to as "Light Bracketing" which can be used by aquarists to learn what type of pigments they have in their specific corals. He includes discussion of the effects of "Black Light" and UV radiation on observed coloration and fluorescence. He also presents information on specific spectra, especially blue and green light effects. I'm off to pick up a Black Light tomorrow to play with, and I may get a green mini-spotlight too. If you watch his material you may be tempted to experiment also.

Tyree concludes his presentation with what he believes is an example of what he calls "pigment grafting" based on an aquarium reef observation in which it seemed that the pigments of one coral were "grafted" onto an adjacent colony from a different family which it touched. If this can be replicated it is an interesting discovery indeed with implications for "tailored" coral colors.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: lighting   lighting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

lighting
Page 1 of 1