UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator

Go down 
+5
Holey Rock of Texas
Ben
jb1edlover
plantedtankdude
Madmax0r
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

Favorite Fish: : Texas Cichlids (mainly Herichthys cyanoguttatus), Rock bass, and other native Texas fish

Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Empty
PostSubject: Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator   Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Icon_minitime5/5/2011, 10:43 pm

Howdy,

I figured I would share a trick I discovered a few years ago when buying chemicals for the aquarium. Nothin special, just a way to save money.

Basically the idea is that if you need a chemical or treatment for your tank, you might want to go check out the pond section before you buy. (Melafix is a good example) check this out:

you will see the melafix next to a version of it intended to treat ponds, they are almost the same price in the store, a few dollars different. notice the concentration percentage.

Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Sdc11625
Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Sdc11627
Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Sdc11626

you get probably 4 times the volume of product and its 5 times as strong. lets see that makes it 20 times the effective treatment ability. same thing, just isn't a rip off

Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator 690297

this phenomenon holds true for things like de-chlorinater and a hand full of other things

Last edited by Madmax0r on 5/6/2011, 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator   Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Icon_minitime5/6/2011, 4:48 am

melfix is a waste of money, in my opinion. it's a mix of tea tree oil and water.
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

PostSubject: Re: Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator   Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Icon_minitime5/6/2011, 5:48 am

I have no clue if Melafix actually works but it sure makes a fish room smell pretty!
Nothing beats a pretty smelling fish room!
JB
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator   Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Icon_minitime5/6/2011, 6:00 am

jb1edlover wrote:
I have no clue if Melafix actually works but it sure makes a fish room smell pretty!
Nothing beats a pretty smelling fish room!
JB

lol!

I prefer the smell of prime. crazy
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

Favorite Fish: : Texas Cichlids (mainly Herichthys cyanoguttatus), Rock bass, and other native Texas fish

PostSubject: Re: Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator   Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Icon_minitime5/6/2011, 4:19 pm

lol,

yea, this is my first time using it to be honest. I do know that tee tree oil is a very strong anti bacterial oil, however I guess we will see.

always buy dechlorinator from the pond section. trust me on that one. If you have big tanks you can save hundreds of dollars a year that way. its the same stuff
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator   Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Icon_minitime5/6/2011, 4:21 pm

not a bad idea!!!
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

PostSubject: Re: Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator   Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Icon_minitime5/6/2011, 4:50 pm

I use this:

Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator AquaSafe%20-%20Group%20Shot

the large one is 53 dollars and treats 15000 gallons.... you do the math
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator   Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Icon_minitime5/6/2011, 5:09 pm

good deal, i have ordered several things direct from aquarium pharmaciethicals

Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator 265353
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

PostSubject: Re: Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator   Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Icon_minitime5/6/2011, 5:23 pm

It sorta makes me mad that they "water down" the dechlorinator intended for aquariums so much. Its just plain ole' highway robbery
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator   Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Icon_minitime5/6/2011, 10:49 pm

Dechlorinator is sodium thiosulphate sp. avaliable at camera stores. Was around 5.00 dollars for 50 pounds. Will make you one hell of lot of dechlorinator. Just look at zip drops and you will see the main item is.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator   Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Icon_minitime5/6/2011, 11:02 pm

I use to use chlorm-x for dechlornator not sure if it's still around but it was a lot stronger and cheaper them prime.. but did cost a lot up front as i could only find it in 1 gallon or 5 gallon size.. a 5 gallon was around 125 dollars whole sale...
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

PostSubject: Re: Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator   Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Icon_minitime5/7/2011, 1:17 pm

Dr. Who wrote:
Dechlorinator is sodium thiosulphate sp. avaliable at camera stores. Was around 5.00 dollars for 50 pounds. Will make you one hell of lot of dechlorinator. Just look at zip drops and you will see the main item is.

awesome, I like
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

PostSubject: Re: Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator   Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Icon_minitime5/7/2011, 1:25 pm

omg sodium thiosulfate has about 50 uses.... I already have it ordered. lol

thanks, great post .03 grams to treet 10 lieters of water, I have 5 pounds otw
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator   Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Icon_minitime5/15/2011, 5:51 pm

Wanted to say thanks to everyone in the thread here haha. Got me interested in trying to find something cheaper and I did! For all those who like prime out there... they make a product call Pond Prime... 2 tablespoons treats 600-700 Gallons of water!!! affraid

$35 for 2L! at that concentration... it will be awhile till I buy prime again haha.

Roughly twice as concentrated!

1 tablespoon for 300 gallons
1 teaspoon for 100 gallons
1 teaspoon = roughly 5ml

according to the regular bottle 5ml treats 50 gallons and this stuff 5ml treats 100.
Back to top Go down
sUMcRAZYfISH
Private First Class
Private First Class
sUMcRAZYfISH

Favorite Fish: : AFRICAN CICHLIDS

PostSubject: Re: Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator   Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Icon_minitime5/15/2011, 6:10 pm

sounds like a good deal but im just wondering about shelf life becuase u wouldnt be using it as much and what happens if u add to much of a certain chemical to ur tank !!can it be harmful???for some people it might be hard to do the math for the dosage for their aquarium size..other than that I agree with u i would do the same..
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator   Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Icon_minitime5/15/2011, 6:21 pm

Well it does say that you can use up to 5X the normal amount is emergency cases so fairly safe I would think. I would likely just use a smaller bottle to hold it in like the bottle prime normally comes in and just the cap of that one (5ml cap full) to treat anything between 50-100 gallons. If you had a really small tank it might be hard to do but I don't think you would really need to invest in 2L of prime if you only had a 10 gallon tank.
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

PostSubject: Re: Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator   Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Icon_minitime5/15/2011, 6:57 pm

also, this thread was really intended for people with bigger tanks, where some treatments and medications become enormously expensive.

I would imagine If I only had a 10 gallon tank I wouldn't be interested with these quantities
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator   Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Save money when buying Melafix and dechlorinator
Page 1 of 1