UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Dwarf Puffer fish

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Inga
Private
Private
Inga

Favorite Fish: : To many to mention. My current favorites happens to be my Opaline Gourami and my sunset Guppy.

Dwarf Puffer fish Empty
PostSubject: Dwarf Puffer fish   Dwarf Puffer fish Icon_minitime4/27/2011, 2:29 pm

Dwarf Puffer fish, who has them? Just looking for opinions. I saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o1fw9jtRNc&feature=related and thought how great it would be to have one of those to keep the ramshorn population down. They are killing all of my lovely plants. I know people say they won't eat a healthy plant but that is not true. They pick at the plant until it isn't healthy and then eat it. :(

I dont' want to risk any of my other fish though as I know these can be aggressive. The tank I am most worried about has a Gourami, a bunch of Cory's, one Rainbow shark, a sailfin pleco and a bunch of Ghost Shrimp. Oh, and did I mention a thousand Ramshorn snails? It was heavily planted. It is still moderately planted and I am hoping to save the rest. It is only a 60 gallon tank 48 inches long. I am hoping to move the Gourami to a different tank and put 5 Angels in there instead. Could a dwarf puffer work?

I also read this...
http://www.fishchannel.com/freshwater-aquariums/species-info/puffer/dwarf-puffers-are-hard-to-resist.aspx
which suggests it could work. What are your thoughts? experiences?
Back to top Go down
tomany
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : abn plecos right now. But it changes so much, I see a new fish and want to keep it, too. That's how I got so many tanks. I really want some rams and loaches now.

Dwarf Puffer fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Puffer fish   Dwarf Puffer fish Icon_minitime4/27/2011, 4:43 pm

I have a group of 5, one died during shipping. I have had them for about 2 months now.
They are absolutely cute:) Mine love to eat pond shells the best, then the small ramshorns, they don't seem to be able to handle the larger ramshorn. They are in a 55 gal tank heavily planted, with male endlers and 4 large wild sailfin mollies, 4 juvie long fin plecos. No one bothers the other one. I don't think your cories or pleco would bother them, but I don't know about your other fish (The dwarf puffers are very small). The puffer may like to eat the ghost shimp.

If you do get the puffer, do get a group, they seem to stay in small groups (2 or more)in my tank. They seem to look for each other, and one would be awfully lonely.
Back to top Go down
PamM
Private
Private

Dwarf Puffer fish Empty
PostSubject: Pea Puffer   Dwarf Puffer fish Icon_minitime4/28/2011, 3:21 pm

I bought 3 pea puffers, cause I thought they were sooooo cute. One curious fellow found a hole in one of my pumps, just his size, and could not get out and died :(.... I had a large ramshorn population, and they quickly decimated them. It was really funny watching them carry a little ramshead around in their mouth as they sucked the snail out of the shell!

I did notice that after a few days, my longtailed fancy guppies, long finned tetras and a few other fish were missing some or all of their tails! Puffers are tail nippers! The fish all caught on quick, and now keep an eye out for the puffers. Everybody has grown back their tails, and all is well. They have not bothered my cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp, or any of my other shrimp.

The puffers are a delight to watch. Fun to play with them, moving your finger around on the glass. They will follow you all around.

Get a couple and have some fun! Pam in Nevada fish fish
Back to top Go down
jon31072000
Private First Class
Private First Class
jon31072000

Favorite Fish: : Hillstream Loach

Dwarf Puffer fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Puffer fish   Dwarf Puffer fish Icon_minitime4/28/2011, 4:48 pm

We just picked up 3 of these at the local box store as an impulse buy. We have a 14 gallon planted tank with not too much in it, so we put them in there. They are in with black tetra and cherry barbs and seem not to mind. We feed them plenty of bloodworms and they seem to be doing well in there, at the same time, not messing with the other fish. If we find more of them, I will probably move everything else out and have an all puffer tank, just for them. They are very cute and very fun to watch explore. Jon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dwarf Puffer fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Puffer fish   Dwarf Puffer fish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dwarf Puffer fish
Page 1 of 1