UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Hope they all survive.....

Go down 
+8
CajunGator
SchutzhundJunkie
Keelo
Holey Rock of Texas
James0816
MarkM
jessecichlidguy
2SciCrazed
12 posters
AuthorMessage
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

Hope they all survive..... Empty
PostSubject: Hope they all survive.....   Hope they all survive..... Icon_minitime4/5/2011, 6:50 am

My classroom tanks/fish are facing their greatest challenge. Yesterday the squall line that came through TN damaged the campus fairly heavily. Fortunately there were no injuries during my first experience of a true school emergency. But with the roof pealed off the computer lab next to my room, there has been no power since 2pm yesterday.

Recently, I culled enough fish from my one overstocked panfish tank - so now (I hope) all of my tanks are stocked at a level to handle no filtration for several days. What I worry about now is the temp drop. It is low 40F outside this morning and due to drop to 30F tonight. Don't know if my mbunas, apple snails, cories, and bichirs will handle the low temps for 36-48 hours. Campus is shut down for everyone but emergency officials, construction/clean up crews and Admin - so I can't get back in today. Going to have hubby (the Fire Marshal handling this) to check on my room, but he's not a fishy person. All he'll be able to tell me is if any are floating belly up.

So I'm a tad bit stressed today. But I guess this is the big test of my tank insulating skills and the toughness of my fish.
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Hope they all survive.....   Hope they all survive..... Icon_minitime4/5/2011, 7:32 am

i wish you all the luck , maybe you can get the hubby to cover the tanks or wrap the tanks with blankets or towels to try and trap some heat in them and possible get your hands on a battery powered air pump
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: Hope they all survive.....   Hope they all survive..... Icon_minitime4/5/2011, 7:33 am

Good luck. Hope all the fish make it ok.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Hope they all survive.....   Hope they all survive..... Icon_minitime4/5/2011, 9:14 am

Wonder if that is the same line that moved through here this morning? Wow! Was that a storm. I was actually woken up thinking a tornado was going through. That's what it sounded like. The whole front of the house is plastered with petals from the pear tree blooms.

Anyway...hope they all make it through ok.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Hope they all survive.....   Hope they all survive..... Icon_minitime4/5/2011, 9:22 am

wow. hope it all works out in the end.
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

PostSubject: Re: Hope they all survive.....   Hope they all survive..... Icon_minitime4/5/2011, 9:38 am

oh no! hopefully they will all be okay!
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: Hope they all survive.....   Hope they all survive..... Icon_minitime4/5/2011, 11:20 am

James, yes it was part of the same system that hit you. Memphis was hit with 80mph winds.

Well, hubby reported that the power was restored while he was there inspecting. He checked my classroom and everything looked like it was back on. Central heat was still off though, unit was damaged. So we'll see if my two heaters can handle dipping that low.

I'll know in a few days if the stress of going under 50F hurt my fish. The bichir and corie tank is not heated since that heater went bonkers. It had always stayed in the 76-82 range because of the double lighting warming it and the insulation around three sides kept it from cooling very fast.

So now it will be a wait and see if any of my stressed fish come down with something.
Back to top Go down
SchutzhundJunkie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
SchutzhundJunkie

Favorite Fish: : I really love the big boys, but I have a place in my heart for all fish. I guess my current favorite is my Chocolate (turning Orange) Oranda.

PostSubject: Re: Hope they all survive.....   Hope they all survive..... Icon_minitime4/5/2011, 12:20 pm

Can you treat them with Melafix and Pimafix as preventative? I was told to use that stuff when I add new fish or when stressed.

Good luck- Julie
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Hope they all survive.....   Hope they all survive..... Icon_minitime4/5/2011, 12:40 pm

hope all goes well.... really crazzzzzy weather everywhere lately.

Hope they all survive..... 690297
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: Hope they all survive.....   Hope they all survive..... Icon_minitime4/5/2011, 9:23 pm

Spring is here again! mad
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: Hope they all survive.....   Hope they all survive..... Icon_minitime4/5/2011, 9:30 pm

I hate the way the weather has been lately. Hope things go well with your tanks.
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Hope they all survive.....   Hope they all survive..... Icon_minitime4/6/2011, 12:11 am

Hope the fish make it OK !
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Hope they all survive.....   Hope they all survive..... Icon_minitime4/6/2011, 9:34 am

As long as the temps went down slowly and came back up slowly and it was of a short duration , you should be ok . I'd be more worried about not having circulation or at least a battery air bubbler to oxygenate the tank and "break" the surface . Good Luck and Best wishes to your fishes .
Ray
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: Hope they all survive.....   Hope they all survive..... Icon_minitime4/7/2011, 8:29 am

Back to work today. All the fish/snails seem to be fine.

I credit their survival through no electricity/no heat on my decision to reduce fish numbers down to the accepted '1inch fish per gallon rule' and adding insulation around three sides of all heated/temp sensitive tanks. (This was how I changed after the electricity turnoff during christmas decimated one of my 55s). Since populations were within specs, the lack of water movement did not cause the oxygen levels to drop below what they required. I believe the slow drop in water temp (which increases O2 absorbtion at the surface) also played a major role.

So it is true that proper stocking ratios will protect your investment should the unforeseen occur. Battery backup systems only work -IF- you can get in to hook them up. In this case, no one but emergency crews were allowed in so battery systems would've sat in a drawer unused.

BTW - it was determined that a tornado trached 7.5 miles through my county and then hit the school. So I've now gotten my experience living through a tornado hit. Just thanking god that both my daughter and I were at SCHOOLS when it hit. The big block buildings really protected us!
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: Hope they all survive.....   Hope they all survive..... Icon_minitime4/7/2011, 1:58 pm

wow, those fish are champs to handle conditions like that Hope they all survive..... 998851
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hope they all survive.....   Hope they all survive..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hope they all survive.....
Page 1 of 1