UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
tbarnwell
Sergeant
Sergeant
tbarnwell

Favorite Fish: : Angels, Show guppies, Red Zebra Mbunas
Jack Dempsey's

My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least Empty
PostSubject: My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least   My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 7:10 am

Should I be worried and will the pleco fight back and kill him. They are the only 2 in the tank.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least   My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 8:02 am

Do you have hiding spots for both the Pleco and Zebra?

The Zebra needs to have a place to call home and most likely will need a few caves to be happy. Depending on the size of the tank the pleco might just be entering the territory of the zebra.
If the zebra already has an established home/cave try moving it around and switching up a few things in the tank. This should break up his territory and stop some aggression.
I know all the Mbuna in my tank pay no attention to my pleco but they are swimming through cracks and rocks all day. The pleco made a home in a large flat surface at the bottom of the tank and sticks to that spot almost all day. He comes out at night to feed when the Mbuna are least active.

Back to top Go down
tbarnwell
Sergeant
Sergeant
tbarnwell

Jack Dempsey's

PostSubject: Re: My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least   My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 8:22 am

Thanks, I do see him attack mostly by his castle. I'm going to move it now and put in pot so he will have more choices. They are the only two in the tank. I'm thinking about taking him out and putting in one of my breeding sets of albino red zebra. think this would be better?
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

PostSubject: Re: My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least   My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 8:30 am

I would try one thing at a time. Never know the other zebra or the red zebra might react and you don't want any dead fish. See if you can't get a medium size ceramic pot and break it in 3 or 4 pieces then just place the broke sides on the bottom.

Make it so it is something he can just fit into but have room to turn around if needed. I would think that this would help though until he is comfortable you may only see him at feeding time. Every time I add a new Mbuna they hide away for at least a few days then I guess they get things figured out and will all swim together when it is feeding time. After the food is gone it is back to their spots.

When you can I would add more similar tempered Mbuna to the tank to help break up aggression further but I at least would not add a breeding pair since I would think that would only complicate things.
Back to top Go down
tbarnwell
Sergeant
Sergeant
tbarnwell

Jack Dempsey's

PostSubject: Re: My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least   My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 8:49 am

I was thinking about removing him and putting him in a smaller tank alone, he was one of my breeding sets but the biggest of the red zebra's killed his mate and was attacking him. I'm thinking of just having him alone. He has 3 kids that are in the other tank with the other 2 sets. I will put the Albino's in the tank he is in and set up the smaller tank until I can get a mate for him again.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

PostSubject: Re: My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least   My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 8:59 am

I suppose that would work too haha. Completely remove the problem funny
Back to top Go down
tbarnwell
Sergeant
Sergeant
tbarnwell

Jack Dempsey's

PostSubject: Re: My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least   My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 9:06 am

Yeah, he deserves some peace and maybe I can get more albino babies. I believe the gold killed all the albino juveniles. I just noticed yesterday that I have no more in the 55. There were at least 6. My project this afternoon after church to change around and set up my 20 gallon and remove him from the 45 gallon and pick up a stand for my 3rd 55 gallon
Back to top Go down
tbarnwell
Sergeant
Sergeant
tbarnwell

Jack Dempsey's

PostSubject: Re: My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least   My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 9:10 am

Lifted up the hood to check out my filter and found a little green frog has been living in my tank he has been here for at least 2 weeks because we heard him and couldn't find him. Thought it was a cricket. lol he won't eat the fish will he.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

PostSubject: Re: My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least   My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 9:15 am

I wouldn't think he would pose any threat to fish other then maybe the fry.
Back to top Go down
tbarnwell
Sergeant
Sergeant
tbarnwell

Jack Dempsey's

PostSubject: Re: My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least   My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least Icon_minitime4/4/2011, 10:34 am

I think the parents are so mean they will attack him if he hits the tank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least   My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Red Zebra Mbuna is attacking my pleco who is 4 times his size at least
Page 1 of 1