UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mrrondo
Private
Private
mrrondo

Favorite Fish: : all

CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS Empty
PostSubject: CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS   CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 7:07 am

banana dance SETTING UP A 100 GAL TANK. SOMEONE SUGGESTED USING CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS AS A SUBSTRATE. LOOKING FOR PROS AND CONS ON THIS.
THANK YOU...
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS   CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 7:09 am

Looks super ken uses it on his 90g tank
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS   CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 8:14 am

What are you planning on keeping in the tank if you don't mind me asking?

The crushed shells will raise the pH and can have some sharp edges for certain species.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS   CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 8:17 am

it also traps detritus and can lead to nitrate issues down the road.
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

PostSubject: Re: CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS   CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 8:27 am

it does in deed trap a lot of uneaten food and waste. so keep in mind a good gravel vac would be necessary
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS   CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 9:05 am

my buddy used the crushed oyster shells for many many years without any issues. it all comes down to proper aquarium maintenance..... vacuuming, water changes, etc..
i will take a picture of his tanks when i go to new orleans this week..
Back to top Go down
mrrondo
Private
Private
mrrondo

PostSubject: Re: CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS   CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 11:58 am

I PLAN ON A FRESH WATER PLANTED TANK. I PLAN ON PLENTY OF PLANTS. THINKING OF A COMMUNITY TANK. ALWAYS LIKED ANGLE FISH. SO I WILL PROBABLY GO WITH FISH THAT GET ALONG WITH ANGLES. I LIVE IN A RURAL AREA WITH EXCELLENT WELL WATER. HAVEN'T HAD IT TESTED YET TO SEE ACTUALLY HOW GOOD OR BAD FOR RAISING FISH AND WHAT WILL BE NEEDED TO DO TO GET IT FISH FRIENDLY. I DON'T SEE WHERE IT WOULD TRAP ALOT OF FOOD AND WASTE, AS IT LOOKS LIKE IT COMPACTS MORE THAN GRAVEL? WOULD THE SHARP EDGES AFFECT ALGAE EATERS FROM CLEANING UP?

Last edited by mrrondo on 2/22/2011, 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mis-spell)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS   CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 12:42 pm

No way for angels and plants it will raise the ph to high. Bottom fish such as algae eaters, corys, plecos are not good for this subtrate
Back to top Go down
mrrondo
Private
Private
mrrondo

PostSubject: Re: CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS   CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 11:33 pm

CajunGator wrote:
my buddy used the crushed oyster shells for many many years without any issues. it all comes down to proper aquarium maintenance..... vacuuming, water changes, etc..
i will take a picture of his tanks when i go to new orleans this week..
Thanks, ask him about ph issues and compatibility with angle fish. And i don't know about the type of crushed shells other people get, but ours here in Wisconsin are pretty small and not all that sharp.
1/8" and smaller
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS   CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS Icon_minitime2/23/2011, 7:27 am

For bottom feeders you need round gravel or sand. All coral no matter what size will raise your PH. Angels are from the amazon with extremely low PH levels (6 or below) if your PH is above 7.2 angels can survive but not to their full potential and usually will not breed.
Back to top Go down
mrrondo
Private
Private
mrrondo

PostSubject: Re: CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS   CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS Icon_minitime2/23/2011, 10:44 am

THANKS FOR THE INFO. WELL GUESS I'LL THROW ALL OF IT IN MY FLOWER BED AND STOP LISTENING TO LOCAL IDIOTS. WISH I WOULD HAVE FOUND THIS SITE EARLIER. GUESS MY CHEAPNESS WILL COST ME. I'LL FIND SOME BLACK SAND OR GRAVEL. HOW MANY LBS. FOR A 100 GAL? SHOULD I GET PLANT ADDITIVE (LATIRATE I THINK IT'S CALLED) FOR MY LIVE PLANTS THAT I WANT?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS   CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS
Page 1 of 1