UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Bichir question

Go down 
+4
dano
ornate12
Cohazard
shae249
8 posters
AuthorMessage
shae249
Private
Private
shae249

Favorite Fish: : catfish,gourami,vampire tetra

Bichir question Empty
PostSubject: Bichir question   Bichir question Icon_minitime2/20/2011, 9:27 pm

hey im getting a 3 inch bichir for my new tank and i dont know what else to get......any suggestions?
Back to top Go down

Bichir question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bichir question   Bichir question Icon_minitime2/20/2011, 11:18 pm

What size tank? Wht species of Bichir?
Back to top Go down
shae249
Private
Private
shae249

Bichir question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bichir question   Bichir question Icon_minitime2/20/2011, 11:28 pm

its a 55g and all i know is its a albino congo bichir
Back to top Go down
Cohazard
Sergeant
Sergeant
Cohazard

Favorite Fish: : I love the hobby as a whole and I like keeping all types of fish. I can narrow it down to Polypterus delhezi, Erpetoichthys clabaricus, Carinotetraodon irrubesco, angelfish and live bearers.

Bichir question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bichir question   Bichir question Icon_minitime2/21/2011, 12:17 am

You're looking at an albino Polypterus senegalus

55g tank is fine, what is currently in your aquarium?

Back to top Go down
shae249
Private
Private
shae249

Bichir question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bichir question   Bichir question Icon_minitime2/21/2011, 11:54 am

just feeder goldfish which i suspect to be eaten haha
Back to top Go down
Cohazard
Sergeant
Sergeant
Cohazard

Favorite Fish: : I love the hobby as a whole and I like keeping all types of fish. I can narrow it down to Polypterus delhezi, Erpetoichthys clabaricus, Carinotetraodon irrubesco, angelfish and live bearers.

Bichir question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bichir question   Bichir question Icon_minitime2/21/2011, 12:43 pm

possibly, bichirs hunt by sense of smell, and they seem to LOVE the smell of goldfish.

But if the fish is too big, they may just end up as tank mates.
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

Bichir question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bichir question   Bichir question Icon_minitime2/21/2011, 12:48 pm

Bichir question 858205 Goldfish would need to be very small to be eaten by a 3 inch Birchir. I suggest worms or small pellet food.
Back to top Go down

Bichir question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bichir question   Bichir question Icon_minitime2/21/2011, 1:28 pm

These are awesome fish!!!
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

Bichir question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bichir question   Bichir question Icon_minitime2/21/2011, 5:28 pm

Put the Bichir in with the Arowana. funny
Back to top Go down
KingBichir
Admin
Admin
KingBichir

Favorite Fish: : all of them

Bichir question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bichir question   Bichir question Icon_minitime4/1/2011, 10:34 am

I have my 14" endli bichir with and convicts, my 4" dinosaur (thats just what there called at petsmart) bichir is with my angels right now. When its little as long as it can't fit in its mouth your good. my little one love neon tetras lol,
Back to top Go down
gangster
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Cichla

Bichir question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bichir question   Bichir question Icon_minitime4/1/2011, 10:57 am

I have 15 endi's and 2 ornates in w/ 5 cichla, ngt and a tig. All in my 225g w/ 55g sump. Lots of wc's and tons of food consumed.
Back to top Go down
Ghost-Knife
Private First Class
Private First Class
Ghost-Knife

Favorite Fish: : Loaches, Bristle Noise Plecos, Ghost Knife, African Leaf Fish, Cory Cats, Rubber Lip Pleco, Bichars, Gar, Dragon Fish, Elephant Noise, Bumble Bee Cats, Discus, freshwater fish for now.... ;p

Bichir question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bichir question   Bichir question Icon_minitime11/25/2011, 10:47 pm

My bichir is housed in a 55 gallon as well his tank mates are a ghost knife, african ghost knife, african leaf fish, rubber lipped pleco and some clown loachs... They have been together for over a year, you can also throw in some peacock eels very pretty... But of course you have to upgrade the tank eventually... My entire tank is nocturnal... ;) good luck on your chooses, I love my bichir, he eats from my hand....
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

Bichir question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bichir question   Bichir question Icon_minitime11/26/2011, 8:05 am

I've kept two dinosaur bichirs, two electric blue jack dempsys, one australian rainbow and (until recently) five cory cats in a heavily planted 29T. These were all purchased very small and raised together. I've just removed the cories to a different tank since I want more moss in there (cories are murder on moss). I'll be moving my last original Rainbow to a different tank soon, since I've just purchased four smaller ones to put with him.

Since my student aide feeds every morning right when the classroom lights come on, the bichirs have learned to be active during the day. They are now a good 8" long each and the EBJDs are 4". They don't bother each other at all, since the bichirs prefer laying across the top of the in-tank filter or on top of the tall sword plants and the Demspeys prefer hanging out in their caves. They all have the same nutritional requirements as well. The EBJDs are better companions than the regular JDs, since they only get about half that size and are fairly mild-tempered.

I've also had luck keeping snails in the tank. Yes, they supposedly will consume smaller snails but I haven't had that experience. Perhaps they are just too well-fed. I don't recommend feeding them live food, since that will supposedly increase aggression.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bichir question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bichir question   Bichir question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bichir question
Page 1 of 1