UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Dinosaur Bichir

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
hello2196
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
hello2196

Dinosaur Bichir Empty
PostSubject: Dinosaur Bichir   Dinosaur Bichir Icon_minitime2/14/2011, 9:51 am

anyone know much about these/have any? I want to get 1 for my 55 gallon set up, but I don't know much about them. If anyone can tell me more about them (such as: water temp, tankmates, diet, and any other lil things) i'd really appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

Dinosaur Bichir Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Bichir   Dinosaur Bichir Icon_minitime2/14/2011, 9:03 pm

I have two in my 29T planted tank in the classroom. Here's a few things I have found about them:

1. Will eat ANY small fish/dead fish that's under 3" (except for my troup of Cories - go figure)
2. If no fish/dead fish are available - they prefer shrimp pellets.
3. Will survive and thrive in water temps from 68-90F (Yep!)
4. Do not need highly oxygenated water - are lung breathers.
5. Do well with decent sized Crayfish - after they realize that they're 'armed'
6. Like a LOT of cover! Plants, rocks, etc.
7. Like medium hardness and pH 7-7.6.
8. Prefer an area that they can 'lounge' on near the surface when they feel like it.
9. I've heard that they're escape artists. They can survive for long periods of time out of water if kept moist - since they breath air.
10. Very personable - and perhaps the toughest fish you'll ever meet.

I throw feeder guppies/minnows in a couple times a month. I'm currently raising two young Blue Dempseys to a big enough size so that they can join them. I'd recommend larger semi-aggressive tank mates like the cichlids, although I don't think they'd mess with a big comet gold fish. Don't put anything with big fins in with them (so fancy goldfish and male bettas are totally out)

I've heard they can live for 20 years. So they are a long-term responsibility.

[img]Dinosaur Bichir Tanks_21[/img]
Back to top Go down
cwillis
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
cwillis

Favorite Fish: : all of them that the problem but I do favor the shubunkins.

Dinosaur Bichir Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Bichir   Dinosaur Bichir Icon_minitime2/14/2011, 9:30 pm

he's awesome, my brother had one a long time ago, he was very cool to watch swim around.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dinosaur Bichir Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Bichir   Dinosaur Bichir Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dinosaur Bichir
Page 1 of 1