UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

When you buy a used tank with accesories

Go down 
+5
James0816
lifeisgood
D'Claro
alan j t
joodie
9 posters
AuthorMessage
joodie
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Blood Parrot, Arrowana

When you buy a used tank with accesories Empty
PostSubject: When you buy a used tank with accesories   When you buy a used tank with accesories Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 10:00 pm

What is the best way to clean it all?? I dunno if the last person's fish had some crazy disease!
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a used tank with accesories   When you buy a used tank with accesories Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 10:33 pm

if ya want, some bleach diluted alot, scrub all around and rinse. air dry. i just use a hose outside and air dry. and scrubbing when nessary.
Back to top Go down
D'Claro
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
D'Claro

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a used tank with accesories   When you buy a used tank with accesories Icon_minitime2/15/2011, 11:10 pm

Put together an aquarium cleaning kit. Buy one of those green square aquarium cleaning sponges, an aquarium cleaning brush (like a bottle brush but much softer) and save an old soft toothbrush. A single edge razor blade can be useful, too. Any of those, hot water, and a bit of scrubbing should clean up most used equipment.

Here's another item I like to have on hand. Jungle Labs makes a product called Clear Water. It's basically dilute potassium permanganate (KMnO4) and it's a useful cleaner and deodorizer for aquarium tanks and equipment. It's also good for mildly "disinfecting" aquarium plants of snails and hitchhikers. It can stain certain items, so always dilute it and rinse well after cleaning.

HTH.

fish
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a used tank with accesories   When you buy a used tank with accesories Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 5:39 am

We just use Bleach water and a single edge razor blade , Rinse , and air dry as Allen J T said.
Ray
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a used tank with accesories   When you buy a used tank with accesories Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 6:51 am

I usually just use distilled white vinegar and cut it with a little bit of water to clean any used tanks and equipment. To be honest...I actually never really thought about diseases that may have been in the tank.

But...it you are concerned...a good cleaning with PP will do the trick.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a used tank with accesories   When you buy a used tank with accesories Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 7:53 am

If the weather is nice I clean with hot water then let sit in the sun for a couple of days
Back to top Go down
Bruggen
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
Bruggen

Favorite Fish: : Lepidiolamprologus Kendallis
Aulonocara Peacocks

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a used tank with accesories   When you buy a used tank with accesories Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 8:01 am

When you buy a used tank with accesories 858205

I have done all of the above. When you buy a used tank with accesories 393849
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a used tank with accesories   When you buy a used tank with accesories Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 11:16 am

I was recently trying to clean out a 10 gallon and was trying to find an easy way to take some vinegar outside with me (without me spilling all of it)... I came up with putting the vinegar in an old giveaway sports bottle. You know, the kind that you get for free from some event and you never use it cause it's a weird shape, but it has a pop top so you convince yourself to keep it.... Anyway, it works great for spritzing vinegar into tank corners, or dispensing it into a small bucket in a water mix for soaking old/dirty filter parts, etc. Just thought I'd share.... :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a used tank with accesories   When you buy a used tank with accesories Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 12:30 pm

I love those bottle for cleaning. Even use them for house cleaning not just the tanks. (everything is labeled)
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a used tank with accesories   When you buy a used tank with accesories Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 12:35 pm

vinager
Hot Water
a toothbrush
a razor and a
rough sponge
Back to top Go down
tomany
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : abn plecos right now. But it changes so much, I see a new fish and want to keep it, too. That's how I got so many tanks. I really want some rams and loaches now.

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a used tank with accesories   When you buy a used tank with accesories Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 2:42 pm

To disinfect I use bleach. To clean the lime build up I use Muriatic Acid. You have to take great care when using the acid, read the directions, get advice from the net. Use outdoors on clouldy days or in the shade. Once a year I clean all my glass tops and plastic filter parts with this. The rest of the time I use vinegar to clean these items but they always seem to get the lime build up on them.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6319677_clean-deposits-off-muriatic-acid.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a used tank with accesories   When you buy a used tank with accesories Icon_minitime2/16/2011, 3:01 pm

I have done most all of the above. Usually I am lazy and drag it outside with the hose. Razor blade the chunks off the glass some scrubbing on the filter and I call it good. If the tank has been sitting dry for some time I would think all the stuff would be dead.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When you buy a used tank with accesories   When you buy a used tank with accesories Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When you buy a used tank with accesories
Page 1 of 1