UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

How do I tell the sex of an angelfish?

Go down 
+2
jb1edlover
Jaylove
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jaylove
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : my favorite fish are bettas and angelfish. I used to like the African Cichlids,but have really leaned more into liking the angelfish.

How do I tell the sex of an angelfish? Empty
PostSubject: How do I tell the sex of an angelfish?   How do I tell the sex of an angelfish? Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 10:39 pm

I have an angelfish that I am looking to pair up with another angel, but unsure of how to tell the sex and don't want to buy the same sex, because I am afraid that they may fight. So does anyone know how to tell the sex of an angelfish?
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

PostSubject: Re: How do I tell the sex of an angelfish?   How do I tell the sex of an angelfish? Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 11:27 pm

The easiest way to tell the sex of a fish is to show it a credit card, if there is no real response it's a male... if they jump up and down and start getting dressed to go shopping it's a female.
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: How do I tell the sex of an angelfish?   How do I tell the sex of an angelfish? Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 11:35 pm

LOL funny!

I believe when the females are mature enough they develop an ovapositor(sp?) from where the eggs come out .

However, I haven't heard of much success if pairing one with another and expect them to go at it. Rather, you put a group together and watch the pairs to develop themselves.
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

PostSubject: Re: How do I tell the sex of an angelfish?   How do I tell the sex of an angelfish? Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 11:48 pm

How do I tell the sex of an angelfish? 858205
Also males will tend to have a darker red in their eyes when they are mature... but you would not be abe to notice this unless you had a male and female in the same tank, and even then, it is not that easy. The easiest way is what fishfase30 said, get a group and let them pair off on their own.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do I tell the sex of an angelfish?   How do I tell the sex of an angelfish? Icon_minitime2/8/2011, 8:10 am

Even experts have problems sexing angels. same sex usually does fine in the same tank. If you want to breed and get a pair put at least 6 together (medium size) and let them pair out of 6 you may get 1 or 2 pair. (out of 8 I got 2 pair). PS some angels don't have red eyes,
Back to top Go down
Dan W.
Sergeant
Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : To many to list but mostly Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: How do I tell the sex of an angelfish?   How do I tell the sex of an angelfish? Icon_minitime2/26/2011, 10:20 pm

Yep the more the marrier. At least a 30 gallon tank and start with 10 to 12 of about the same size. Should get 2 to 3 pairs out of that. I like a planted tank as can enjoy while waiting for the fun to start, however many use very little for decoration. Good Luck
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: How do I tell the sex of an angelfish?   How do I tell the sex of an angelfish? Icon_minitime2/27/2011, 12:10 am

Never heard of the red eye thing, But ovipositors are the only sure way to tell and thats when they are dropping eggs. I have had two females act like a pair...one laid the eggs the other followed right behind her "fertilizing" the eggs...then 14 days later they switched and the marble would lay and silver would "fertilize".
Back to top Go down

How do I tell the sex of an angelfish?
Page 1 of 1