UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Pic of african tank so far

Go down 
+4
BFinley
kinsol
istrober
MarkM
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Pic of african tank so far Empty
PostSubject: Pic of african tank so far   Pic of african tank so far Icon_minitime1/28/2011, 10:36 pm

Pic of african tank so far Africantank003-1

Any suggestions on how to improve it? Any would be appreciated. No where near complete. Will be getting Ruby Greens Vics.
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: Pic of african tank so far   Pic of african tank so far Icon_minitime1/28/2011, 10:37 pm

Looking good! More holey Rick would look nice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pic of african tank so far   Pic of african tank so far Icon_minitime1/28/2011, 10:41 pm

Yes I plan on more holey rock.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Pic of african tank so far   Pic of african tank so far Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 8:04 am

Plants!! looking good so far..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pic of african tank so far   Pic of african tank so far Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 8:33 am

I think it looks great, but as long as they had crevices to get into i was more partial to simple tank decor. What is the flat rock that you are using? looks may be like Granite or Marble, but those would be really really heavy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pic of african tank so far   Pic of african tank so far Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 9:06 am

Marble pieces. I have lighting eggcrate under the sand. I really don't want to many plants as they will just get eaten. I'm doing lower light and higher ph so most plants won't like it anyway.
Back to top Go down
kinsol
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
kinsol

PostSubject: Re: Pic of african tank so far   Pic of african tank so far Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 9:14 am

Im thinking a few more plants
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pic of african tank so far   Pic of african tank so far Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 9:17 am

Hows about back round?
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Pic of african tank so far   Pic of african tank so far Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 9:57 am

Looking good so far!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pic of african tank so far   Pic of african tank so far Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 10:15 am

Not sure of what type of background as I don't want the vics to compete with it and lose color
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: Pic of african tank so far   Pic of african tank so far Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 10:55 am

Looking good Vixen!!! Simple sometimes works well, have oodles of pvc joints, elbows, etc... in my african tank nothing hi-tech . And some homemade stuff in there too made from water catches, $1 store bags of rock and some GE I since I refuse to pay what they want for some of the decorations.

All else fails for a very reasonable background I've done it a few times, and its easy to change. I've taken poster board from the $1 store, painted a simple moon & stars theme (personal thing), then after it was cut to fit inside the tank rim I then sprayed it with the Krylon Triple Thick Glaze very light coat at first on both sides, then after that has dried well I put a couple more coats on. Have 3 of these I'm still using on various tanks and they have held up 6 years now. This is also a fun project for little people to make their own personal background for their tanks, gets them involved in the decor choices.
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: Pic of african tank so far   Pic of african tank so far Icon_minitime1/30/2011, 11:28 pm

first off nice SPONGE filter
and maybe some pvc to use as caves would be nice
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pic of african tank so far   Pic of african tank so far Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 1:47 am

hey you should see the plastic coffee can filter under the rocks on the right side! lol! I'm all about cheap DIY. The sponge is a car wash sponge from Lowes for $1.98 and have been using them for years. I need to get some PVC and cover it in rocks and sand.
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Pic of african tank so far   Pic of african tank so far Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 5:14 am

Coffee can filter ? sounds interesting .
Back to top Go down
Cichlid Lover
USA Fishbox Sponsor
Cichlid Lover

Favorite Fish: : Peacocks

PostSubject: Re: Pic of african tank so far   Pic of african tank so far Icon_minitime2/6/2011, 2:06 pm

Looks good Vixen. I add a blue background to my tanks and it doesn't wash the color out on the fish. What kind of sand did you use?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pic of african tank so far   Pic of african tank so far Icon_minitime2/6/2011, 2:11 pm

and Vixen can ya post a DIY thread on this coffee can filter you are talking about it sounds amazingly interesting!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pic of african tank so far   Pic of african tank so far Icon_minitime2/6/2011, 2:54 pm

I will try to put together a DIY on the filters. Using pool sand from Lowes. Put a dark blue piece of material on back for now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pic of african tank so far   Pic of african tank so far Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pic of african tank so far
Page 1 of 1