UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
fairwoodleo
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : looking at africans right now

BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK Empty
PostSubject: BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK   BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK Icon_minitime9/24/2009, 9:41 am

Hey all,

Am building a 55 african tank for my wife....

Am looking for ROCKS for building a 'Cave like' atmosphere. Have red lava rock on bottom, so I'm looking for larger ones now for the back and sides, and some with holes in them to create a natural looking tank..

Anyone out there have some that your not using and want to unload them.

Thx.
Leo in Fairwood/Renton/Maple Valley area... (That's SEATTLE to all you aliens..LOL.)

Last edited by fairwoodleo on 9/24/2009, 10:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK   BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK Icon_minitime9/24/2009, 9:44 am

i am glad to see you have chosen to go with an african tank. you will not be disappointed. also welcome to the family.
Back to top Go down
fairwoodleo
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK   BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK Icon_minitime9/24/2009, 9:48 am

Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, I'm pretty excited. Haven't had a decent tank in many years. Actually had two awesome tanks. a 100 and a 150 when I lived in Santa Barbara back in the 80's.... Been in Seattle now since '89... kids are now out of the pad... last one if off at school....

So............................... time to get back in a nice hobby....

Thx again...
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK   BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK Icon_minitime9/24/2009, 9:50 am

We have gotten a lot of people from the WA area latley. cheers

What kind of Africans are you going to do?
Back to top Go down
fairwoodleo
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK   BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK Icon_minitime9/24/2009, 9:56 am

I'm thinking of Malawian rock dwellers. Some that won's get OVERLY big. With bright, intense coloring, My wife likes the cobalt blue ones and the bright orange ones.

I'm guessing the Labeotropheus, Labidochromis, Pseudotroheus, and Cynotilapia types. I know, I need to do my research.

Last edited by fairwoodleo on 9/24/2009, 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK   BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK Icon_minitime9/24/2009, 10:09 am

the red zebras get really mean from what i have experienced and i will not place them in my tank. this is just my personal opinion.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK   BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK Icon_minitime9/24/2009, 10:13 am

I have had bad experience with them to but a few times I made it work. Might want to do bigger peacocks with them.
Back to top Go down
fairwoodleo
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK   BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK Icon_minitime9/24/2009, 10:15 am

Good to know. I've had my share of 'aggresive' fish in the past. Had a red devil once that 'owned' an 80 gal tank. Nothing in there but him a huge Pleco and rocks by the end..lol

I'm sure I'll have mucho questions before I begin stocking up the tank. Got to get it built right first.
Back to top Go down
nelson101
USA Fishbox Sponsor

Favorite Fish: : Don't have one

PostSubject: Re: BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK   BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK Icon_minitime9/24/2009, 4:40 pm

My experience with red zebras is as long as all the other cichlids are larger and not to docile you can introduce it as a smaller one and let it grow into the tank. I am not saying he wont grow to be aggressive but I have one in a tank with peacocks and halpochromis and he is now there size and they just do the normal chasing. You have to remember cichlids have the mentality of a 4 year old child. They are not dumb. They also have there own personality. For years I have never really had a problem with red top ndumbis but resently I had an over arresive one I had to pull. He wanted to kill everything in the tank but I would never class all to be this aggressive. You also should be aware if you have any females in a tank all males will be more aggressive.
Hope this helps and welcose aboard.

Nelson
Back to top Go down
fairwoodleo
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK   BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK Icon_minitime9/24/2009, 5:23 pm

Thx Nelson. I appreciate your input.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK   BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK Icon_minitime9/24/2009, 5:26 pm

Yes adding a female into a tank full of males is the same thing as 10 guys in the same room and they toss a female in there. There will be some fights lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK   BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK Icon_minitime9/24/2009, 6:22 pm

haha Ain't that the truth! haha
Back to top Go down
fairwoodleo
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK   BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK Icon_minitime9/24/2009, 8:05 pm

Still waiting for someone LOCAL to come up with some ROCKS......................... After which, I'll get back with you guys about what fish to put in the tank.......................
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK   BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK Icon_minitime9/25/2009, 6:45 am

Look for a local quarry or rock yard. Some rock that would work; slate, marble, granite, quartz...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK   BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BUILDING AN AFRICAN TANK
Page 1 of 1