UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Need Info On Platies

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SeaWitch
Sergeant
Sergeant
SeaWitch

Favorite Fish: : I love goldies of any type! I also love bettas. I hope to eventually get more tropical fish, though.

Need Info On Platies Empty
PostSubject: Need Info On Platies   Need Info On Platies Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 3:19 pm

I was wondering if there is a link or post here where I can read up on platies? A friend of mine, who normally keeps goldies, rescued 7 platies from a lady and she knows nothing about them, other than they are livebearers and she thinks 4 of them are female and are getting really fat. I can't help her as I am not very familiar with trops. Right now, she has them in a 10g with a ghost shrimp and some snails (which are for the puffer, which she also rescued). She sent me a list with a bunch of questions on it that I need to find answers for. Thanks so much!!!
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: Need Info On Platies   Need Info On Platies Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 3:33 pm

Have a few platys some are in the jungle tank, others are in tanks with just some fake plants for fry cover. Temps 78 - 80 just dependant on what tank. In the summer a few live in the water trough where I keep a heater for backup on 76F and big old fashion box filter.

Food they'll eat just about anything but mine get cichlid frenzy flake, earthworm flake, variety of frozen foods (just depends what I have) and when I remember to pick up live they get blackworms, daphnia or whatever else I come across.

Females have a "rounded pectral fin" males will be "pointed".

Salt in the water, some people choose to do so personally do not.
Back to top Go down
SeaWitch
Sergeant
Sergeant
SeaWitch

Favorite Fish: : I love goldies of any type! I also love bettas. I hope to eventually get more tropical fish, though.

PostSubject: Re: Need Info On Platies   Need Info On Platies Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 3:39 pm

Thanks! Here are the questions she asked, if someone can help me out on them:

So my questions are:

How do you know if they are pregnant? There are 4, I think are females, that are getting really REALLY fat. I have read that these are live bearing fish and there was a picture of a pregnant female but mine are much rounder. They look like they are going to blow up! They were all quite thin when I came into possession so I was feeding heavy. Thought they were just putting on weight but the males now are thickened up like my betta, as is one of the others, but these other four just keep getting bigger and bigger!

How long does it take from getting pregnant to having babies?

How can you tell ~or can you tell ~ when they are going to have their babies? I read something about being able to see the eyes of the babies in some spot ???? Not sure at all what they were talking about.

Do I need to remove the females when they have their young or can they just have them in the tank with the rest of the fish? Remove the babies?

How many babies do they have?

What do I feed the babies?

Is there anything I need to do for the babies differently than what I do for the rest of them?

How old before I can rehome them? (Yeah like any animal or fish that comes into my house ever leaves again!)

How many gallons per fish should they have? Tropical fish so 1 gallon per inch of fish? More?

Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

PostSubject: Re: Need Info On Platies   Need Info On Platies Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 3:40 pm

This is a good page hopefully it can answer most of your questions

http://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Platy.htm

Platys are pretty hardy fish not much care needed then normal basic aquarium care :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Need Info On Platies   Need Info On Platies Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 4:32 pm

platies store sperm so females are always pregnant. Just have enough plant cove and some of the babies may survive. I've had platies give up to 50 fry at a time usually about 25 on the avg. Platies will eat there own young so if you want to save as many as possible remove the fry or use a breeding trap and fry saver. 10gal will fill quickly if you save the fry.
Back to top Go down
SeaWitch
Sergeant
Sergeant
SeaWitch

PostSubject: Re: Need Info On Platies   Need Info On Platies Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 4:38 pm

Thanks so much!!!!
Back to top Go down
SeaWitch
Sergeant
Sergeant
SeaWitch

PostSubject: Re: Need Info On Platies   Need Info On Platies Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 7:34 pm

Two more questions: How long before the females have the babies after they get pregnant, is there a time frame she should know about? Also, if she takes the males out, can the females become egg-bound?
Back to top Go down
Cohazard
Sergeant
Sergeant
Cohazard

Favorite Fish: : I love the hobby as a whole and I like keeping all types of fish. I can narrow it down to Polypterus delhezi, Erpetoichthys clabaricus, Carinotetraodon irrubesco, angelfish and live bearers.

PostSubject: Re: Need Info On Platies   Need Info On Platies Icon_minitime1/30/2011, 4:40 pm

SeaWitch wrote:
Two more questions: How long before the females have the babies after they get pregnant, is there a time frame she should know about? Also, if she takes the males out, can the females become egg-bound?

I don't know how long gestation is, but I have read that they can store gametes, and get pregnant later when no males are present, so I doubt she should worry about them becoming egg bound.
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

PostSubject: Re: Need Info On Platies   Need Info On Platies Icon_minitime1/30/2011, 6:10 pm

they have babies every 3-4 weeks :) and no you dont have to worry about egg bound. They store sperm on average for 3-4 months, i read on one website that sometiems they can store up to 11 mo. I dont think ive ever heard of a platy being eggbound acctually...
Back to top Go down
myrnag
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Platty and my platty fry!

PostSubject: Re: Need Info On Platies   Need Info On Platies Icon_minitime2/2/2011, 12:17 am

Oh wow, your friend sounds like me when I discovered my first fry (8) in my "sons" fish tank. We have a 40 gal and since those first 8 I now have about 40 ranging in age from 3 months to just a week old. I don't bother the fish too much we have Mexican river rock which are about a inch and a half to two inches long so it creates a lot of nooks for them to hide in and that's how they have survived for me. I have a basic heater filter that came with the tank I keep the heater at about 78-80 degrees. I only had 3 fake plants in there before but have now endeavored into real plants.
What the other posts said is pretty accurate for my platties they have there fry about 5 weeks apart and they get so ridiculously huge its nuts. Good luck
Back to top Go down
SeaWitch
Sergeant
Sergeant
SeaWitch

PostSubject: Re: Need Info On Platies   Need Info On Platies Icon_minitime2/2/2011, 10:23 am

Thanks so much!!! I really appreciate this and I know my friend does, too!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Info On Platies   Need Info On Platies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need Info On Platies
Page 1 of 1