UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

blah, snails...

Go down 
+7
Elrollo
TankGirl
Petersmonkey
Terry
KMX
tomany
Gnomeofmyheart
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gnomeofmyheart
Private
Private
Gnomeofmyheart

Favorite Fish: : Guppy
Betta
Corydora Catfish
Kio

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/20/2011, 5:09 pm

Aside from picking them out by hand (which I dread), what are other ways to diminish their population? I'm hoping my guppies and corys are enough to bring them down but it doesn't seem to be happening.

These are the snails I have. blah, snails... Images%3Fq%3Dcommon%2Bproblem%2Bsnails%2Bin%2Bfish%2Btanks%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1176%26bih%3D577%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C216&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=183&oei=ML84TazAIoX7lwf4yvzvBg&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=11&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0&tx=84&ty=103&biw=1176&bih=577

Note... they freak me out lol, don't know why every time I try to pick them out I freak out a little (yes I know I'm being a pansy) but I got over screaming every time I touched one :D
Back to top Go down
Gnomeofmyheart
Private
Private
Gnomeofmyheart

Betta
Corydora Catfish
Kio

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/20/2011, 5:10 pm

blah, snails... Images%3Fq%3Dcommon%2Bproblem%2Bsnails%2Bin%2Bfish%2Btanks%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1176%26bih%3D577%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C216&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=183&oei=ML84TazAIoX7lwf4yvzvBg&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=11&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0&tx=84&ty=103&biw=1176&bih=577
Back to top Go down
Gnomeofmyheart
Private
Private
Gnomeofmyheart

Betta
Corydora Catfish
Kio

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/20/2011, 5:12 pm

Well... I'm not tech savvy enough to put the photo up

blah, snails... 13866
Back to top Go down
Gnomeofmyheart
Private
Private
Gnomeofmyheart

Betta
Corydora Catfish
Kio

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/20/2011, 5:13 pm

I did it! lol, those are like the ones I currently have.
Back to top Go down

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/20/2011, 7:03 pm

Get one assassin snail for each tank. Yes I know it is another snail but they eat snails so soon you will be down to few or 1. They are really the only reliable snail eater that doesn't end up needing a large tank later on.

You have ramshorn snails.
Back to top Go down
tomany
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : abn plecos right now. But it changes so much, I see a new fish and want to keep it, too. That's how I got so many tanks. I really want some rams and loaches now.

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/20/2011, 7:07 pm

Cories and guppies won't eat snails. You can try puting an algae wafer in a small jar, put the jar in the tank when you turn out the lights. When you get up take the jar with snails out and dump them. It will take alot of work to get rid of the snails. I bought assasin snails, but the other snails multifly faster than the assasins cursing It seems like once you have them, you have them. Just keep chipping away at them.
Back to top Go down
Gnomeofmyheart
Private
Private
Gnomeofmyheart

Betta
Corydora Catfish
Kio

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/20/2011, 7:26 pm

Joy, lol I didn't think my fish would eat them but I see them poking at them and I was hoping it would be enough harassment from the fish themselves to just kind kill them. It's getting to the point where the snails are clogging up my filter.

I think I'll do both, mostly because my snail population exploded when I was on vacation.

At least the assassin snail has a pretty shell??

Thanks for the tips!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/20/2011, 8:25 pm

Loach or assassin snails.
Back to top Go down
Terry
Captain
Captain
Terry

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/20/2011, 8:28 pm

My clown loaches have eradicated my malaysian trumpet snail problem. Love these guys.
Back to top Go down
Petersmonkey
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Petersmonkey

Favorite Fish: : Angels

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/20/2011, 9:21 pm

assassin snails Baby !!!!!

they go 007 on them...
Back to top Go down

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/20/2011, 9:28 pm

Clown loaches need a large tank. Also cut back your feeding snails will multiple with over feeding.
Back to top Go down
TankGirl
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
TankGirl

Favorite Fish: : Lake Tanganyikan cichlids

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/20/2011, 10:06 pm

Snail overpopulation is easy to control - feed the tank less and your snails will diminish. The fish can manage a week of ever so slightly leaner times, but the snails cannot. No need to introduce new species to control existing species.

Or, pick out every snail you see, plop them in a Zip-Loc with a sprig of a plant and a wet paper towel, Priority Mail to Tank Girl, and everyone is happy! I have a VERY HUNGRY puffer who would be grateful....

Harvest every day by placing a lettuce leaf in the tank overnight (just lift out the lettuce the next day, it should be covered in snails, no need to actually touch them!), underfeed the tank, and snails will be a thing of the past. cheers
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/20/2011, 11:56 pm

Along with what Tankgirl is saying you can also do the tupperware hot phillips head screw driver trick. Heat a phillips screwdriver punch some holes in a smallish tupperware..fill with water and an algae tab or two let it sink and viola snails get in but they can;t get out.

And TankGirl if you really want some snails...I will start saving them for you...was asked yesterday "what type of gravel is that it keeps moving" by my wifes friend lol yeah there are few snails in my tanks :) I will bring them to the next Va. meeting
Back to top Go down
Gnomeofmyheart
Private
Private
Gnomeofmyheart

Betta
Corydora Catfish
Kio

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/21/2011, 9:52 am

lol well, if you really want the snails I'll gladly send them to you!

All of these tips are wonderful! Thank you guys. I was hesitant to add anything new to the tank (especially another snail lol) even though the assassin snails have some beautiful shells I freak out thinking they will come out of my tank. Yeah I know I'm a pansy but I'm working on it! I'll be sitting there watching my fish and the snails go up the tank and out the water (I assume to lay eggs) and I twitch wondering if I'm going to start finding them outside the tank but I know I'm just being silly.

And yeah I knew going into this and getting live plants and what not would cause snails but it was something I accepted and I'm trying to get over. I forced myself to pick a snail out last night......... All I can say is at least I didn't scream though I sent it flying somewhere in the room because it stuck to my finger and I freaked and flailed my arm. -palm face-. One day I'll be able to proudly say that I can sit there and pick them out by hand... one day.

I think I'll do a cup, or tupperware trick since I do have algae tabs, along with less feeding.

Tankgirl if you really want I'll send them to you :D

I'll post an update in a few days to let everyone know how it's going.

Thank you everyone!
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/21/2011, 6:27 pm

Petersmonkey wrote:
assassin snails Baby !!!!!

they go 007 on them...

lol!
Back to top Go down

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/21/2011, 6:45 pm

A shot glass with a pellet of any sort will also collect them.

Tank girl, I have many many snails if you want a box of them?
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/21/2011, 7:23 pm

All great advice, but don't think for one minute you'll be able to get rid of them all unless you take tank down, bleach the tank, change substrate or "boil" it. New filter media etc...
Feeding less will keep them out of plain view but they will still be there! You can drain a tank and leave it for several months then add water and wham they back! I don't even try to tamper with them, I like them! They keep the tank very clear and stir up the substrate and keep gases from building up. I use sponge filters so they don't get into my impellers!
Back to top Go down
TankGirl
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
TankGirl

Favorite Fish: : Lake Tanganyikan cichlids

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/22/2011, 3:50 am

I will take any snails, as long as they are not MTS - thanks for the offers!

My puffer can't do a thing with the rock hard shells of MTS, though they are very good for sand substrates and all my sand tanks have them. I have to hand pick them out when they get over populated.
Back to top Go down

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/22/2011, 9:13 am

Oh well, the mts population is the worst here. The ramshorns and pond snails go to my flowerhrons as I find them.
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/22/2011, 9:15 am

What do you feed the Flowerhorns too? mad crazy
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/22/2011, 9:30 am

jb1edlover wrote:
What do you feed the Flowerhorns too? blah, snails... 190883

lol! blah, snails... 206728
Back to top Go down

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/22/2011, 9:34 am

Hey now, they are pets not breeders.
And there isn't much you can feed a 5LB 13" Flowerhorn to.
They do love it when I cull fry, I just toss the culled ones in their tanks and they vanish very quickly!
Back to top Go down

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/22/2011, 9:37 am

Everyone needs a garbage disposal! Even if it is and cheap man made product! haha
Back to top Go down

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/22/2011, 9:39 am

blah, snails... 858205 And they do a great job at it!
Back to top Go down

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime1/22/2011, 9:45 am

Some of us bought or acquired hybrids when we didn't know any better so they are here and healthy so got to give them the best while alive. Just don't breed them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

blah, snails... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blah, snails...   blah, snails... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

blah, snails...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next