UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

aquarium weight and the floor

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

aquarium weight and the floor Empty
PostSubject: aquarium weight and the floor   aquarium weight and the floor Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 1:47 pm

Does anyone really know how big of an aquarium a floor can hold...My house is old was built in 1955 and doesnt have cement floors...im not a carpenter but have always been told the lumber back then was alot stronger then it is today...My floor isnt perfectly level but that dont meen its not strong but im still to afraid to go over a 55 gallon aquarium though i really want to....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: aquarium weight and the floor   aquarium weight and the floor Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 2:03 pm

It depends on the construction of of the floor joist of your home. Best way to find out is have it surveyed by a certified home builder.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: aquarium weight and the floor   aquarium weight and the floor Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 4:56 pm

Can you get under the house?
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: aquarium weight and the floor   aquarium weight and the floor Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 5:37 pm

My house was built in 1970 . I have a 150 gallon along the wall in the 2nd bedroom / fishroom . in that room I also have a 50 long and a 55 stacked , and on another wall is a 75 . I feel that as long as I keep them along a load bearing wall , I'm ok .
Ray
Back to top Go down
bbandu
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
bbandu

Favorite Fish: : They are all my favorite

PostSubject: Re: aquarium weight and the floor   aquarium weight and the floor Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 6:09 pm

if you can get under the house you can always brace the floor from underneath. I lived in an old house built in the 40's and had a 90g with 30g sump which is about 1000lbs with just water. All I did was go under the house and brace the floor where the tank was going to set. This was just as a safety precaution.
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

PostSubject: Re: aquarium weight and the floor   aquarium weight and the floor Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 6:31 pm

yea i can get under the house and add some bracing...dont think i need to with a 55 but anything larger i prob should
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: aquarium weight and the floor   aquarium weight and the floor Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 7:21 pm

I added bracing under the LR where I have a 250 gal tank/pond.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: aquarium weight and the floor   aquarium weight and the floor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

aquarium weight and the floor
Page 1 of 1