UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Discus loosing weight

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

Discus loosing weight Empty
PostSubject: Discus loosing weight   Discus loosing weight Icon_minitime1/21/2011, 12:09 am

Ok i recently purchased 7 discus between 2" and 6+" I seperated the smaller ones into a 40 breeder 5 total all the 2"ones, and kept the larger 2 6+" and 4+" together in a 58 cubed tank. Water parameters are Ph 7.0 (thats how they were breed and the guy had them for years in 7.0) r/o water ammonia 0 nitrates 0 nitrites 5-7 ppm and hardness about 4-7 (depends if it is the day after or the day before a water change) Temp is constant at 85degrees. Suddenly the large femal has stopped eating flake/pellet food and is losing weight (stomache used to be nice and round now it is starting to look pinched) I have tried medicated food which she sucked in and spit right out. I have tried erithramiacin(sp?) and tetracycline...since she stopped eating flake I went to frozen mostly hikari brine, discus blend ,bloodworms, spirulina brine, and mystis shrimp. She ate that for a day or two but refuses it now. She will eat live black worms and live brine shrimp a little. I actually got her to eat a live red wiggler that my friend raises for fishing (fed oatmeal and corn flakes...pretty disease free...I hope). I have even tried mixing medications in with the blackworms. The tank has vitamins (serra brand) I administer with every water change(weekly) or after every round of medications. Other symptoms I have notice her Shimmy once or twice not a regular accurance. Poop is normal but light in the amount compared to my other fish.

Ok so what I need help with is diagnosing. I know discus sometimes get finicky and refuse food, but this is starting to scare me a bit. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
scottyofala
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
scottyofala

Favorite Fish: : angels, discus, fronts,plecos,and well i just like them all!!!!!!

PostSubject: Re: Discus loosing weight   Discus loosing weight Icon_minitime1/21/2011, 1:04 am

did they come from a planted tank? and are they in one now? discus are a graisers and i know thats not helping you. but iv had a few stop eating like that. and start up again. no reason that i could find. but i know they stess easy. and if they dont feel comfy in their new home it will stess them. and they do better at a ph of 6.5. but if they were reased in a ph of 7.0 i wouldnt change it. dont know if i helped you any but thats all i can give you right now.... good luck. hope every thing works out for you.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Discus loosing weight   Discus loosing weight Icon_minitime1/21/2011, 1:58 am

yes they came from a planted tank and are in planted tank now. I have had them for about a month.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: Discus loosing weight   Discus loosing weight Icon_minitime1/21/2011, 2:28 am

discus stop eating when something upsets them. That could be water conditions, parasites, bacteria, disease, intestinal problems etc.

it could be the quick change in died... try soaking the pellets before giving them to her, and mostly blood worms are good but shouldn't be there ownly food.

try some metrozoloine(spelling?) flakes and see if that helps her. even the liquid.
prail pro is what i would use.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

PostSubject: Re: Discus loosing weight   Discus loosing weight Icon_minitime1/21/2011, 8:29 am

Thanks I will see if I can find any metrozoloine around here
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discus loosing weight   Discus loosing weight Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discus loosing weight
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: Discus-
Jump to: