UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

What to feed baby Angels....

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Petersmonkey
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Petersmonkey

Favorite Fish: : Angels

What to feed baby Angels.... Empty
PostSubject: What to feed baby Angels....   What to feed baby Angels.... Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 11:49 pm

Guys I have some dime size baby Angels....

I don't know if I should feed them live Brine Shrimps or frozen ones..... and IDK how many water changes I should do with these guys...

Total of 8 and They are currently in a 10 gallon. Of course once they get a it bigger I'll move them to a 37 gallon but for now I have no idea what to feed them because some food is just too big for them to eat... but I heard feeding them live brine shrimps might give them health issues later on....

Advice plz... out
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: What to feed baby Angels....   What to feed baby Angels.... Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 1:58 am

Frozen beefheart or beefheart flakes...if you can get them on flakes they grow faster (high protein content) frozen brine is ok might want to mix it up try a bunch of stuff.

Water changes weekly at least...20-25% should be good I would premix water in a 5 gallon bucket with prime and buffers(if you use it) and get the temp close to the tank before you add the clean water back to the tank.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to feed baby Angels....   What to feed baby Angels.... Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 4:09 am

I have 15 dime size at the moment and feed them live baby brine (be sure they are rinsed well) First Bites fry food, Crushed up cichlid flake (I crush it in my hand) Beefheart can be to fatty for angel fry I stay away from it IMO.
Back to top Go down
TankGirl
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
TankGirl

Favorite Fish: : Lake Tanganyikan cichlids

PostSubject: Re: What to feed baby Angels....   What to feed baby Angels.... Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 11:46 am

I've raised baby angels and fed them in a similar manner to FishVixen with great success. Dime-sized are well on their way and should eat pretty much anything, but crushed flake or crushed pellets (I have a pepper mill that I use for fish food only, so you can put any size pellet that you have on hand and it will crush it to a tiny size).

Keep the water clean for best results, and like Elrollo suggests, premixing is a good idea so the water going in is already treated.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: What to feed baby Angels....   What to feed baby Angels.... Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 11:48 am

Do you girls use egg yolks at all? I had some success with hard boiled egg yolks passed thru an old t-shirt.
Back to top Go down
TankGirl
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
TankGirl

PostSubject: Re: What to feed baby Angels....   What to feed baby Angels.... Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 11:52 am

I never did - I hatched BBS and used "First Bites" fry food, which is superfine powder and seemed to have everything they needed. I'm lazy!
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: What to feed baby Angels....   What to feed baby Angels.... Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 12:31 pm

Another thing I found that the baby angels really like and do well on is "earthworm" flake
Back to top Go down
Petersmonkey
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Petersmonkey

PostSubject: Re: What to feed baby Angels....   What to feed baby Angels.... Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 4:18 pm

I love all these suggestions... but fro some reason, all the food I put it sometimes gets sucked up into the filter. Maybe a sponge filter is the best for this kinda situation..

And how often should I feed them? Because depends on that means I'd have to doe more water changes right?
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: What to feed baby Angels....   What to feed baby Angels.... Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 4:21 pm

personally sponges are my choice for fry, try to do daily water changes on them or at least take the turkey baster to suck all the nasty on the bottom of the tank and I try to feed them at least 3 times a day most of the time its 5 on fry / youngsters
Back to top Go down
TankGirl
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
TankGirl

PostSubject: Re: What to feed baby Angels....   What to feed baby Angels.... Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 6:01 pm

If all of your food is getting sucked up into the filter then you may have too much filtration for the tank size. I think a sponge or other internal box-type filter (FishVixen has a great DIY method for these!) is best for fry.

Plus, frequent small water changes are a good thing and your fry will benefit, no matter what kind of filtration you have.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to feed baby Angels....   What to feed baby Angels.... Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 6:22 pm

for HOB filters get a car wash sponge or sea sponge using a knife cut a hole just big enough for the intake tube to slide into. Now you have a pre-filter that will not suck all the food into the filter. The young fry will pick at the sponge for food sucked onto it.
Back to top Go down
Petersmonkey
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Petersmonkey

PostSubject: Re: What to feed baby Angels....   What to feed baby Angels.... Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 8:24 pm

good idea. Iama try that...

I wonder what kinda of sponges are Tank/fish safe?
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

PostSubject: Re: What to feed baby Angels....   What to feed baby Angels.... Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 11:41 pm

I have an Aquaclear 50 on my 20 gallon with a prefilter and my angels do not have ny problems getting sucked into the filter or finding food...I have the AC turned almost all the way down.

I am feeding the fry first bites powder Its about as easy as it gets...also tried the egg pressed thru a T-shirt....probably will not do it again made a mess in the tank and in the kitchen. Also started feeding them frozen daphnia and bbs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to feed baby Angels....   What to feed baby Angels.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What to feed baby Angels....
Page 1 of 1