UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

sponge or box

Go down 
+5
Shaysfishys
James0816
sschult
KMX
Elrollo
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 9:58 am

I know some of you run sponge filters on your tanks. I was reading that sponges loose their effectiveness over tiem and began to break down usually after 1 year. On the other hand you can get a box filter that pretty much does the same job and just replace the floss as needed.
Just wanted to get anyones input on the pros and cons of sponges and boxes.
Back to top Go down

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: Re: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 10:05 am

I use homemade box filter out of juice jars.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: Re: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 10:17 am

I have had some of the same sponge filters for a few years now. As long as you just do some monthly maintence, Cleaning them and what not you should be fine. If the sponge itself gets to dirty I will replace it. Cost 2-3$

Sponge filters are very good at collecting the filth and I have NEVER had a problem with my water clarity. I had 40 tanks at one point...all on sponge. Another huge plus about sponge is you can run it all off one pump. When I had the 40 tanks going I had one pump doing all 40. The sponge also provides for a source of air. When the bubbles are hitting the top of the water constintly you don't need another air stone or something in the tank. So basically the sponge filter can surve for multiple purposes and save you money at the same time. I say sponge.
Back to top Go down
sschult
Sergeant
Sergeant
sschult

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: Re: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 11:30 am

I agree with you 100 percent, a little more info wont hurt, I have seen people that stick them in the dishwasher let them dry and that's what works for them, for me and here goes and some of you might need to sit down for this one, I have sponge filters that had not been washed since 2006 all I do when am doing water changes is I have a 5gal buck infront of the tank, with tank water in the bucket I squeze the sponges till they breathe properly, another way to save money is watch out for furniture in front of houses and I take the cushions, take them to the car wash and preasure wash the entire sponge w/o any cleaning agents of course, ring it out before I take it home, fill up the bath tub and summerge it in hot water for a couple of hours, take it out let it sun dry outside for a day or two, and buala you can get almost 20 sponge filters from one cushion, you can make sponge filters of any size or lenth that you want, and that's all I use sponge filters in my tanks. sponge or box 772341
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: Re: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 11:46 am

FishVixen wrote:
I use homemade box filter out of juice jars.

Details, details. Do share!

worthlesswopic

I've never ran a sponge filter. I think they take up valuable floor space.
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: Re: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 12:48 pm

Personally run primarily sponge filters most homemade square style work awesome and have lasted and so have some box filters that I use in smaller tanks (5 & 10). Most all the tanks are ran off one large air pump

When I was raising a few different species of killifish used homemade filters out of pvc pipe t's and ugf tubing with quilt batting in the ends to collect junk. For them they take up very little floor space and worked good for the purpose intended. But the killifish were all in 2 1/2 - 5g tanks so this style filter worked well.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: Re: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 12:53 pm

sschult wrote:
I agree with you 100 percent, a little more info wont hurt, I have seen people that stick them in the dishwasher let them dry and that's what works for them, for me and here goes and some of you might need to sit down for this one, I have sponge filters that had not been washed since 2006 all I do when am doing water changes is I have a 5gal buck infront of the tank, with tank water in the bucket I squeze the sponges till they breathe properly, another way to save money is watch out for furniture in front of houses and I take the cushions, take them to the car wash and preasure wash the entire sponge w/o any cleaning agents of course, ring it out before I take it home, fill up the bath tub and summerge it in hot water for a couple of hours, take it out let it sun dry outside for a day or two, and buala you can get almost 20 sponge filters from one cushion, you can make sponge filters of any size or lenth that you want, and that's all I use sponge filters in my tanks. sponge or box 772341

Great idea! I will be couch hunting now! lol!
Back to top Go down

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: Re: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 1:05 pm

I use a wide mouth juice bottle or mayonnaise jar make small cut outs in the lowest part of the jar. Put in rock rubble to the top of the holes then an airstone in the middle a layer through one of the cut out hole. a layer of scrubbies on top of the (2 or 3) (6 for $1 at the dollar store), top it off with floss. the top I cut out a piece and put craft mesh in and screw on, plug into airpump and let her rip.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: Re: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 1:48 pm

FishVixen wrote:
I use a wide mouth juice bottle or mayonnaise jar make small cut outs in the lowest part of the jar. Put in rock rubble to the top of the holes then an airstone in the middle a layer through one of the cut out hole. a layer of scrubbies on top of the (2 or 3) (6 for $1 at the dollar store), top it off with floss. the top I cut out a piece and put craft mesh in and screw on, plug into airpump and let her rip.

I can't wait to see this. This sounds interesting.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: Re: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 1:54 pm

DIY walk through?
Back to top Go down
watchitrain
Private
Private
watchitrain

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: Re: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 4:58 pm

sschult wrote:
all I do when am doing water changes is I have a 5gal buck infront of the tank, with tank water in the bucket I squeze the sponges till they breathe properly,

This is what I do also. I also add a bag of ceramic bio balls. Between the sponge and bag of balls I put a piece of that pink filter material.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: Re: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 5:45 pm

Box filters are the best filter made. You can add what ever to the box you want. Amnoina asorb or carbon or peat. Sponge filter are the easiest to you. Cleaning sponges are easy. Just put the in the washing machine.
Back to top Go down

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: Re: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 7:01 pm

Box filters are very very handy! As Dr. Who said you can stuff them with all sorts of stuff. It makes running carbon and such is a fry tank very easy! I have a few and use them to supplement my sponge filters in a few fry tanks and if I need to run some carbon I just gut and stuff one and put it in the tank I need it for.
Sponge filters are my staple but a few box filters sure do come in handy!
Back to top Go down
76dragon
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: Re: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 7:35 pm

Are you for real! Seat cushions. I'm gonna have to look for some

Thanks for the great idea

Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: Re: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 9:31 pm

sponge filters is what i use and i love them
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: Re: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 2:23 am

Thanks all for the input...wow did not think it would jump off like this lol.
Thanks KMX I was thinking about cost over time I forgot refills for sponges are considerable less than initial investment.

Back to top Go down

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: Re: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 9:00 am

I still recommend everyone have 2-3 of the box filters just for versatility's sake.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: Re: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 9:55 am

Makes sense to have both. Really looking forward to getting rid of most of my HOB filters ....an auqaclear 70 takes almost as much power to operate as one linear air pump 42 watts (AC) 46watts (airpumps). Saw my electric bill jump up almost $50 last month I have to cut that down before the wife puts 2 and 2 together grr
Back to top Go down

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: Re: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 10:19 am

LOL I'm looking also!
Back to top Go down

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: Re: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 10:38 am

I do have some large ones for sale $400 brand new. I run one and it runs all of my tanks and I could double the use no problem!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

sponge or box Empty
PostSubject: Re: sponge or box   sponge or box Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

sponge or box
Page 1 of 1