UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

protein skimmer?

Go down 
+4
wildbeanerz
dano
popebosephus
dcninja757
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Fish

protein skimmer? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 11:08 am

First topic message reminder :

i'm going to get this protein skimmer for my 55... do I even need to run my emperor 400 hob filter on my saltwater tank or can I just run the protein skimmer and be good?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 8:42 pm

I was thinking about running a bio wheel when i first set mine up. And i had several people tell me to take the wheels off. I cant remember exactly why.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 10:26 pm

I haven't been able to find anything that says not to run bio wheels...I did find that you can use skimmers, bio wheels, and the live rock all together or separately to accomplish the same thing "good water quality"

I think the final answer to this whole thread is to do what ever tickles you.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 8:00 am

The main idea here is that the protein skimmer will remove the organics once they start breaking down so you don't need to run a canister filter or power filter these very filters can contribute to nitrate problems if the filter media and tubing is not cleaned and/or replaced on a regular basis every two days or even more frequently.
The Protein skimmer is the single most important filter method for a "reef" aquarium.
On a smaller tank (less than 40 gallons) regular weekly water changes can be used in place of a skimmer but you must be vigilant. If you have chosen to buy a larger tank (40+ gallons) a protein skimmer is a very important piece of equipment to purchase. Get a good quality protein skimmer and place it in your sump or on the back of your tank if it is designed for it. Do not skimp on this. Often protein skimmers are under-rated for the size of tank, so in practice a skimmer rated for a 100 gallon tank is barely adequate for a 50 gallon reef tank (especially one with many fish that get fed a lot). Needle wheel skimmers are a popular choice, and can be very effective for their size/cost. Don't bother buying 'canister' filters, often used on freshwater aquariums.
Mechanical filtration most easily defined is the removal of whatever particles happen to drift by the inflow of the filter. They are then trapped by the mechanical membrane and every single gallon of water pulled out from then on is dragged over them as well. These particles are held in suspension on the mechanical membrane until you change the membrane and the cycle repeats itself. In a reef tank, any detritus from fish falls to the bottom and is scavenged by copepods, hermits, shrimp, sand sifting snails, etc. It is broken down efficiently. In a canister filter...it sits there as all your water is dragged over it. Uneaten food is trapped as well and sits there while gallon after gallon passes over it, where if it had it fallen to the bottom it would have been consumed in one way or another. Imho mechanical filtration has no place on a reef tank.
The only filtration I use on my tank is a protein skimmer and sometimes a sock. Nothing else. If anyone thinks a protein skimmer is unnatural just head to the beach. You know those white clumps of filthy foam you see on the shoreline? That's the skimmate from the oceans own version of a protein skimmer....waves crashing and creating bubbles. They accumulate on the surface and are blown ashore by the wind. Protein skimmers create micro bubbles which collide with each other in the contact chamber. The friction creates a charge and since all DOCs (dissolved organic compounds) are polar in nature they are attracted and stick to the bubbles. They then collect at the top of the skimmer and are removed.
all that said if you are battling Ha or other types of algae you have NO2/NO3 in your system its whats fueling the algae growth with out them the algae dies off but you say my test say 0 nitrites/nitrates I even had my LFS check my params the reason you get 0 on your tests is because the algae is consuming them so there for they are not detected by your testing but again if you have algae they are there. anyhow good luck with all your future Aquatic adventures and remember it only takes one coral to become a reef so plan accordingly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 8:23 am

great info Cindy
Back to top Go down
J*Hawk*83
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
J*Hawk*83

Favorite Fish: : Venestus
Trigger
Lionfish
Wrasse

PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 8:49 am

So, with all that said, only a protein skimmer is required on a reef? No sump? Suspect
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 9:10 am

Cindy....You just made me think....I have those old cartridges in my HOB filter and rinse them every so often but now that you said about the nitrites/nitrates being used up by the algae that makes more sense since I always test at 0. So now I am thinking that I should just remove the cartridges and put in LR rubble...only thing is will I need to light it if I do that? I know to add chaeto too it would require light but if for now it is just rubble does it need light then too?
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Fish

PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 9:29 am

So on my 55 reef no sump I can use JUST a protein skimmer and live rock in my tank. No other filtration?
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 9:41 am

dcninja757 wrote:
So on my 55 reef no sump I can use JUST a protein skimmer and live rock in my tank. No other filtration?

YES! a good hob skimmer and 1.5 -1.75 # of live rock and a 2 inch sand bed.
I ran 2 55 gallon reefs and a 29 like this with sucess until I upgraded to the 180.
a great hob skimmer is the Aqua C Remora pro with the 1400 RIO pump.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 9:50 am

you can^^^ it depends on you really!
you CAN just use LR for filtration and powerheads for water movement! iv seen many tanks on ter forums that literally only use LR and sand for filtration!
you can use any combo of filtration you want!

you can use a HOB skimmer and an HOB filter a your 55 no prob! you can even run just the skimmer and some powerheads (again)for water movement!
their really isnt a "this is the right way" as every one has their own ways and advice!
you can go skimmerless and just stay ontop of water changes EVERY WEEK!!!!!!
it all depends on you how your budget is and how dedicated to your tank and this hobby is! just dont get confused with ppl arguing over whats right and whats not!
just goo with it and learn from experience. theirs nothin better!
wildbeanerz!!!!!! my 5.5 pico only has LR rubble in the HOB filter thats it! thats my filtration
i plan on throwin cheato in their too!
and for movement i have a Knano thats it:) simple and welfare!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: protein skimmer?   protein skimmer? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

protein skimmer?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2