UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

driftwood

Go down 
+2
tomany
felidacity
6 posters
AuthorMessage
felidacity
Private First Class
Private First Class
felidacity

driftwood Empty
PostSubject: driftwood   driftwood Icon_minitime12/31/2010, 8:22 pm

Hey, I still haven't set up my new 75 yet...but I did go to a local lake and pick up some driftwood. It think it is mostly cypress, but did find a cool pine root cluster thingy...
Is there anything I should know about using it in a plant tank?? (once I actually set it up...)
How do I prepare it... just wash it? Scrub it? Bake it?
Is either type of wood ok?
How much is too much?
What if it floats?
Do some fish/plants go with wood better?
I figure it is better to ask questions now, and do it right the first time!

Mary
North Fla.
Back to top Go down
tomany
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : abn plecos right now. But it changes so much, I see a new fish and want to keep it, too. That's how I got so many tanks. I really want some rams and loaches now.

driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: driftwood   driftwood Icon_minitime12/31/2010, 9:40 pm

I boil mine. If it floats you can tie it down to a rock and put it in the tank. Use the amount that is pleasing to you. I'm not sure about the pine. I've not heard of anyone using it. There are fish that like to have it in thier tanks. But I don't know of any fish that you can't put driftwood with. I have it in just about all of my tanks, I even have it floating at the top with plants on it, in one tank.
Back to top Go down

driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: driftwood   driftwood Icon_minitime12/31/2010, 9:50 pm

pine has way to much sap to use. If it's to big to boil put it in a tub and pour boiling water on it every 10 mi for an hour, Scrub it with a brush (no chemicals) then repeat the boiling water for another hour.
Back to top Go down
scottyofala
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
scottyofala

Favorite Fish: : angels, discus, fronts,plecos,and well i just like them all!!!!!!

driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: driftwood   driftwood Icon_minitime12/31/2010, 10:09 pm

pine is a no, no! can be piosenous to some fish! and its not good to just go pick up any wood you find on the ground. unlees you know for sure what it is. its better if you find wood thats already been in water for a while. this way its already cured and water logged. like from a river or a lake. always cut off a piece and see if its sticky to the touch. this will be an ever green, like pine. if it has a clean look and not sticky. its a hard wood , like oak. dont want you you kill you fish, so dont take a chance with the pine. good luck.
Back to top Go down

driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: driftwood   driftwood Icon_minitime12/31/2010, 10:14 pm

I use cypress and citrus wood in my tanks.

If it floats it will sink eventually, either you can weigh it down or be patient.

Soft water fish with a PH of less than 7 is better in planted tanks with wood, angels, discus, tetras..... the list is very long!

If you go with fish that are 6.5-5.5 on the PH you can pack the tank full of wood and they would be happy as can be!

Just remember wood leaches tannins, most fish like tannins but they will turn your water a yellowish brown color.

The wood does not have to be from water, Most of my wood is from my neighbors dead orange tree lol!

Just make sure the wood is very dead with no sap or green left in it at all. Best to find a tree that fell victim to that rash of citrus canker we had a while back
Back to top Go down
felidacity
Private First Class
Private First Class
felidacity

driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: driftwood   driftwood Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 8:20 pm

OK, no pine... got it!
Well I just tested my other tank's water, to be a guestimate of what the water will be like in the new one when I get it set up...
Hardness is about 150
Alkalinity is 100
and pH is about 7.8

What does this mean for what plants/fish I will be able to keep in my new tank...
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: driftwood   driftwood Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 8:32 pm

Thanks for the info as well! I need to put some driftwood in my tanks now that I have plecos. Looked at some at Aquatic Critter but they were wayyyyyyy too expensive.

Did read an aquascaping article which discussed wood hardscaping. They recommended soaking any specimens in water buckets for several days to weeks prior to using in a tank.

I'm planning to look at some of the cool driftwood that another petstore sells for birds and reptiles - much cheaper! But now I'll make sure that it's a hardwood before I buy it. Except walnuts - won't those poison fish as they do horses?
Back to top Go down

driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: driftwood   driftwood Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 10:06 pm

Depending on the amount of wood you may have a lower PH than your other tanks. I have 2 tanks with driftwood (fallen oak from yard and store bought) then PH runs about 6. My other tanks run about 7.
Back to top Go down
felidacity
Private First Class
Private First Class
felidacity

driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: driftwood   driftwood Icon_minitime1/3/2011, 4:02 am

So I should have my tank up and running for a while before I decide what type of fish to get?? How long?
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: driftwood   driftwood Icon_minitime1/3/2011, 4:47 am

4-6 weeks the tank needs to go throw the nitrogen cycle... ammonia will spike up, then go down and be converted to nitrite, then nitrite will spike up, then that will go down and get converted to nitrate. you can speed up the cycle but use-ing some seed media out of a already cycled tank and using seachem stability.
Back to top Go down
felidacity
Private First Class
Private First Class
felidacity

driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: driftwood   driftwood Icon_minitime1/3/2011, 8:04 pm

But if I don't have any fish... how can there be ammonia to be converted etc, etc....??
Back to top Go down

driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: driftwood   driftwood Icon_minitime1/3/2011, 9:14 pm

A small pinch of fish food a day will feed the cycle without putting any fish though the stress.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: driftwood   driftwood Icon_minitime1/3/2011, 10:59 pm

2SciCrazed wrote:

I'm planning to look at some of the cool driftwood that another petstore sells for birds and reptiles - much cheaper! But now I'll make sure that it's a hardwood before I buy it. Except walnuts - won't those poison fish as they do horses?

Check out a product called Java Wood looks awesome ...kinda hard to sink, but yopu can buy it for a bird cage so it already has a bolt to attach it to slate or rocks.Brent@aecageco.com
Brent Ayers is the gentleman i have been in touch with ...they told me to hold off buying it to see if it waas fish compatable then they tested it got back to me exactly 6 weeks later(by that time the pet store was sold out) saying that it was safe and showed time stamped footage of wood in aquarium with fish. I am just waiting for the one store in my area to get it back in and I will be purchasing some peices. Price is alot cheaper than normal petstore driftwood but more expensive then I can find myself
Back to top Go down
felidacity
Private First Class
Private First Class
felidacity

driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: driftwood   driftwood Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 5:24 pm

At what point should I add the plants?
Back to top Go down

driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: driftwood   driftwood Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 5:30 pm

right away
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: driftwood   driftwood Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 11:00 pm

All of my newer tanks I am doing in gravel lacarite(sp) and ferts. I usually attach plabts to rocks and wood place in tank where it needs to go. Then I start filling up the tank a little. At this point I place my rooted plants (swords,moneywort,ect). Then I carefully fill the tank up using water about the same temp as the tank is going to be..for discus 85deg for the rest 74deg..try to get the water close not to shock the plants.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: driftwood   driftwood Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

driftwood
Page 1 of 1