UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop

Go down 
+16
J*Hawk*83
Caton
mbovinet
istrober
Petersmonkey
jessecichlidguy
Elrollo
Holey Rock of Texas
James0816
KMX
kleankord
TanyaQ2000
plantedtankdude
dcninja757
reid429
mshill90
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa

Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop   Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 11:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have really been dreading my job, as it's mindless and not something I see as a career.

I have been doing TONS of studying on all different types of freshwater fish, diets, environments, how to keep them etc... I do plan on one day working with salt water as well.

I live in Central Pennsylvania, and in my area, the only stores are Petco, Petsmart, and a Pet store that has a very bad reputation for puppy mill dogs, and animal abuse. None of them have decent fish, or fish out of the ordinary...

We have The Pet Place about 45 minutes away, but their prices are a bit outrageous..

So, I have been debating opening an aquarium store. Selling fish, taking in fish, cleaning tanks, repairing tanks, giving correct advice... and not selling fish to just anyone to make a quick buck.

There are a lot of retail shopping strip type places for rent, as well as a mall that would even let us have a store open.

I'm completely new to the business scene... so what I want to know is if you could have an aquarium shop/store, or if you were to visit one, what would you expect?

All advice is welcomed! Please no flaming.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop   Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/9/2010, 10:19 am

Words of wisdom right there. Might call you sometime myself! ;0)
Back to top Go down
Caton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Caton

Favorite Fish: : All of them?

PostSubject: Re: Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop   Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/9/2010, 1:09 pm

Garage set-ups= cheap easy and awesome because you can have a couch in with the tanks.
Back to top Go down
Caton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Caton

Favorite Fish: : All of them?

PostSubject: Re: Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop   Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/9/2010, 1:12 pm

Well, not in the tanks, but you can lounge while watching the tanks.
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa

PostSubject: Re: Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop   Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/9/2010, 1:24 pm

Fern wrote:
KMX wrote:

What happen to funds for felix and having no money?? You need $$$ to start a business. I would take care of my family, pets ect ect before I opened up at pet store. Just my 2cents.
usafishbox

Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 858205 Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 858205 Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 858205 Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 858205 Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 858205 Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 858205 Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 858205 Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 858205 Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 858205 Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 858205 Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 858205 Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 858205 Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 858205 Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 858205 Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 858205

And again I will say opening a store front is a very very bad idea

And again I will say people go through with bad ideas all the time. It doesn't alwAys work out but sometimes it does. I really don't get why you are always coming off this way.

All you keep posting is the same thing yet you have no EXPLANATION as to why it's a "very very bad idea".

Its a 50-50 shot that this works out.
Back to top Go down
J*Hawk*83
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
J*Hawk*83

Favorite Fish: : Venestus
Trigger
Lionfish
Wrasse

PostSubject: Re: Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop   Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/9/2010, 1:30 pm

Also keep in mind that the online market is 1/3 the price than a LFS. Most consumers now are just ordering there stuff due to prices and with SW, they offer guarantees. Most LFS dont offer guarantees. I agree with starting up in a garage or Xtra room, cuts overhead by a ton.
Back to top Go down
J*Hawk*83
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
J*Hawk*83

Favorite Fish: : Venestus
Trigger
Lionfish
Wrasse

PostSubject: Re: Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop   Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/9/2010, 1:35 pm

mshill90 wrote:

And again I will say people go through with bad ideas all the time. It doesn't alwAys work out but sometimes it does. I really don't get why you are always coming off this way.

All you keep posting is the same thing yet you have no EXPLANATION as to why it's a "very very bad idea".

Its a 50-50 shot that this works out.

We are all here to only help. But remember, we are all fish freaks who spend a lot of money on fish. If you notice we very rarely ever say we got something (fish or goods) from an LFS. An LFS to us, is normally a place to look around and see what we want to buy from a cheaper source. Its not a place where we spend money.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop   Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/9/2010, 1:43 pm

Many many lfs are having to close their doors due to the economy thats why
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop   Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/9/2010, 2:06 pm

I think it would be easier for a LFS to stay in buisness if they offer tank cleaning service and leasing like some LFS do.I think its harder to stay in buisness if you just sell fish and tanks only unless they have a well established customer base.
Back to top Go down
Cichlid Lover
USA Fishbox Sponsor
Cichlid Lover

Favorite Fish: : Peacocks

PostSubject: Re: Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop   Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/12/2010, 2:07 pm

Do your research! If you get a bank loan and you fail, you still need to pay it back. No one is going to give you money and not get paid back. Check your local laws. If you can run a business out of your house and have customers come and go, do it part time to start. I started my businesses part time and built them from there. Retail space can cast you $20 - $50 a sq. ft. Office warehouse space can be $8 - $12 sq ft. Now is a tough time to get started. As you know, people have been cutting back on the pet expences. Know your laws and do your research, do your research and did I say do your research! GOOD LUCK.

ALL lfs are not bad. Some of us are here to promote the hobby and are still hobbiest but we still need to pay the bills. Support your lfs when you can.
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

Favorite Fish: : Any thing reef friendl

PostSubject: Re: Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop   Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/12/2010, 7:49 pm

I do!!
Back to top Go down
MikeM
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop   Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/12/2010, 8:51 pm

mbovinet wrote:
I guess I could add a few things here since that's what I did. Well Working on almost 2 years ago now. I don't really know where to start.......

I guess here's what I did. I started selling things out of my house. You have to get your name out there and in a good way. There's also several problems with selling things out of your home or garage. One thing is is with suppliers. Mainly on the dry goods area of it but they won't really deal with you as they feel you'd be a back-yard breeder and too small time. Another is having folks wanting to stop over at countless hours of the night. It's not impossible as I did it that way for years while holding a full time job, going to school full time, we have 3 kids and a dog and I still managed to handle it all.

There's plenty of other things that go into the above but I don't have the next week or so to type it all out. Your welcome to call me and I'll share a bit more with you on it.

I had been thinking on opening a LFS in my area here as there is nothing really to show here as far as cichlids go. (That's basically all I carry in the store now). So I talked things over with my wife and we dicided to give it a go.

I looked around and found a space to lease that I thought would suit my needs. Worked on the lease, signed up and Starting building it out. I quit my job and opened it up full time and haven't looked back. I'm very glad I did it but it took alot of planning, hard work and a laundry list of other things.

I just recently moved the store into a larger place. The first few months in the 1st store were a little rough but since then I'd say it's working. Could it be better? Yes but it's working for us and it's getting better all the time.

If you'd like to call my number is 402-934-8588

Good luck with whatever you do, just make sure to look at the whole picture before doing anything

Thanks

Mike
Mike B is the man. I have been doin business with him for 5 years or so now, and I cant say enough good things about this guy!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take his advise. I run a fish shop out of my house and I take all of Mikes advise and apply it to my business. I do decent money but if I had a retail space I would do better. With that said I would have ALOT more overhaed also. It is a rough economy out there. Sell from home and see how it goes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop   Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Business plans/ideas for Aquarium Shop
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2