UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high

Go down 
+5
KMX
James0816
Joe Reborn
Elrollo
jessecichlidguy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Empty
PostSubject: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 8:25 pm

i just set up a 120 with a sump and fresh tap water yesterday it has been cycling for about 24hrs i have added all the chemicals needed to lover all levels and condition the tap water but the nitrate level is at 10ppm what can i do or has the new tank not established what it needs ye.... there are no fish in the tank yet and didnt use any old tank water but i do have lava rock in my other sump system thats running if that will help at all

Last edited by jessecichlidguy on 11/22/2010, 9:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 8:45 pm

bump
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 8:56 pm

bump sign
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 9:08 pm

Add filter media from an established tank in the sump. Any plants or is this saltwater?
Get some plants and dither fish in the sump to start cycling if freshwater.
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 9:16 pm

i just added some of the rock that i had in the other system.... so how long would i cycle it now b4 addind fish
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 10:39 pm

You can start with only 5 dither fish if your going for a fish cycle until you see nitrites, 0 ammonia and 0 nitrates. May be up to 4 to 6 weeks. Use filter material from your other tanks in the sump. Used filter floss, old carbon, anything old from the filter or swtich a whole filter without changing it first ( I would rinse them in old tank water to be you keep the bacteria alive)
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 12:39 am

hmmmm someone sacktap me if I am wrong...nitrAtes at 10ppm is not really to dangerouse for fish...nitrites it is...still not good but is it that bad??? Suspect
Back to top Go down
Joe Reborn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Joe Reborn

Favorite Fish: : Red Festae, Frontosa, Red Zebra, Green Terror

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 1:16 am

I have not responded because not enough detail was provided. In Fresh 10ppm of N03- is Sweet. if you have a concentration of 10ppm of N03- then you either had the Fastest cycle known to man or you just swapped over a bunch or old Filter Media. Either way just keep an eye on it. Measure you Ammo. and N02- and N03- everyday. If Ammo. and N02- stay at 0ppm and N03- is staying at 10ppm of maybe climbing a tad bit is ok. Also test your Source water and see what the reading are out of it. That will give you a better idea whats going on.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 8:23 am

nitrAte at 10 is just fine. You don't want it to go over 40 though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 9:33 am

if its only been 24hrs the tank hasn't had time to do anything.
What are you feeding the cycle with?
What all did you steal from established tanks?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 9:35 am

You need good source of bactria. Your water is freaking out right now lol!
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 10:12 am

all is well now the nitrite 0 ammonia 0 7.6ph and mitrates o im all good i used prime to condition the water stability for new tank setups and amquel plus to remove all amonia nitrites and nitrates i also added lava rock from the established sump
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 10:30 am

Is there a reason that you need to force the cycle to happen so fast?
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 11:07 am

yes i just got a bunch of breeders and dont have empy tanks they are crammed in a 30 about 20 of them
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 2:17 pm

sounds like this tank hasn't even gone throw a nitrogen cycle. ammonian(h3/nh4+) should go up then down and be converted to nitrite(no-2) then no-2 gets converted to no-3. how could your reading be saying that. your sump hasn't had any time to build up nitrobactor or nitrosomonsas(spelling?) aka good bacteria.......
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 9:18 pm

thats what the freswater test kit read so i dunno
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 10:17 pm

tlc company has a product called start smart that is actually suppose to cycle a new aquarium in a day. I have some but have never used it. Aquarium fish international magazine tested it and they published in there magazine that in fact it did exactually what it said and they were impressed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/24/2010, 9:19 am

Are you putting discus in this tank?

Most all of those bacterial supplements are a waste of money.
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/24/2010, 9:20 am

nope the levels check out fine and the few fish i put in there are doing great so my test kit is reading zeros all the way across
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/24/2010, 9:35 am

Ok well I moved it to general, you had it in discus that's why I asked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/24/2010, 9:46 am

keep up with testing and water changes.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime11/25/2010, 12:57 pm

As long as you test it regularly for the next month or two, you should be fine. If you use some water and decor from an established tank, that will help immensely.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high   HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HEEEELLLLLLPPPPP..... new set up nitrate level too high
Page 1 of 1