UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba

Go down 
+3
KMX
mike205
CSnyder00
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 5:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

So here's my dilemma...

I had 9 very nice Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba. I took the sub-dominant male and a female with a crooked spine out of the main tank and left the dominant male and 6 females in a 75 gallon tank by themselves to get down. It's been two months and I have had no luck. I feed cichlid pellets, frozen bloodworms, and frozen spirullina brine shrimp. The pH is about 7.6 and the water is naturally hard here. I keep up with the water changes and the fish seem to be happy. I can't seem to understand why they don't want to breed for me.

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
jessecichlidguy

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/19/2010, 2:03 pm

they could not have reached the breeding age yet or the water temp isnt just right have you googled them to read about there breeding habbits and what gets them going
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/19/2010, 2:07 pm

Yeah. I got it down and perfect. I think Fern or you may be right. It may be hiding spots or age. I would tend to lean on age, but I've had them for about 5-6 months and they were at least 2 months old when I got them, so they are nearing a year old.
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/19/2010, 2:09 pm

its all in size not age just be patient i know its hard
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/19/2010, 2:10 pm

You tell me this. Normally I'm the one giving advice! lol
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/27/2010, 4:49 pm

Another question. These are a Metraclima African Cichlid. Can they be mixed with another type of African that will not cross breed to give the tank some more action? Or is 7 adult fish enough in a 75?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/27/2010, 5:06 pm

Peacocks
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/1/2011, 4:24 pm

Anything else?
Back to top Go down
sschult
Sergeant
Sergeant
sschult

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/1/2011, 6:50 pm

You can pretty much look at either Tangs or Vic fish, but if you want Malawans completelly avoid any Pseudotropheos, Metriaclimas, Labeotropheous, Cynotilapia, basicaly most of your rock dwellin mbunas. Those are excellent specimens you have there keep that line clean. Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 772341
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/1/2011, 11:40 pm

So Haps, Vics, and Peacocks?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/1/2011, 11:53 pm

What is their aggression level?
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 12:05 am

They don't seem to be super aggressive. No torn fins, no male fighting, just some good chasing every once and a while.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 12:08 am

Sounds like haplachromis ruby green would be a good match then. They are a very stunning fish especially when the dom male is fully colored! They are fairly mild mannered with mostly just a good chase now and then unless there is a contestant for the dominant in the tank, then they can get nasty. And they breed quite young!
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

Favorite Fish: : Aulonocara species

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 12:53 pm

do you have heater in ?
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 1:02 pm

Now watching them I see that my Dominant Male seems to want to nip at the others. I have no idea what he thinks he is guarding, but he is definitely more aggressive than he has been in a while. Still not really doing any damage, just shooing away. And I like ruby greens. That would be awesome. What about some kyoga flamebacks?
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 1:03 pm

Two heaters actually. They are at 78-80.
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 1:12 pm

try 82 thats work for me some times good luck Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 393849
Back to top Go down
sschult
Sergeant
Sergeant
sschult

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 6:49 pm

If that does not fix it, you may want to consider removing some of that wood out of the tank, see your ph from the tap might be perfect but the wood could be making the water chemistry change enough to make the fish feel a little weird, but only make changes one at the time after ample amount of time with the temp going up, if you do more than one thing at the same time and they spawn you wont know what triggered the spawn, good luck. ps, I would like to aquire some of your fry when you get there. Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 772341
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 6:53 pm

Not sure on flamebacks, never had them. But I do have a nice clean colony of ruby greens!
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/3/2011, 8:53 pm

Fry for everyone when I get some! lol
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/3/2011, 9:18 pm

I know you can do it !!! yes
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 9:39 pm

I'm hoping!
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 8:34 am

Never had that kind of fish but... i read about it and they need a pH of 7.8 - 8.0
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 11:19 am

Males claim a cave among the rocks, which is fiercely guarded against intruders. Spawning takes place within this cave, in seclusion. Brooding females take cover among holes in the rocks.
Temperature 78 - 82 F
PH 7.8 - 8.6
These africans are not easy to breed be patience is the key Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 690297
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 7:50 pm

Temp and PH is perfect. My alpha male is guarding like crazy, but he's always been like that. I think I need more caves.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 9:06 pm

Stop worrying about it so much, as soon as you stop looking for holding females you will find some Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 393849 It has worked like that with all my fish I get young, I fret and worry and want them to breed and as soon as I stop tinkering around trying to get them to breed that's when it happens!

Good varied diet, good temp, clean water, decent set up.... that's all it takes other than time.
Back to top Go down
sschult
Sergeant
Sergeant
sschult

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 9:54 pm

I had some info for you just a week AGO, i hope you understand why the AGO, remember when I adviced you last week not to make more than one change at a time in your case last week it was a temp issue, when I meat give them time I meant at least 3 weeks ok I did not adviced you to wait at least 3 wks but, Yes 3 weeks you have to be patient in this hobbie, unless you would want to come and work for me repairing Air conditioners and when you don't get it in 5 hours I start harpping you why its not done yet, I was being nice I can solve the issue in 30 minutes, but see, and I dont mean any desrespect, fish are fish and all we can do is give them the right or what we think are the best parameters for their requirements, like fern said stop looking at them and just feed them every day and I have faith they will do their thing, remember I was the first one in line for fry, I have faith in you and your fish, your gona get there dont worry about when, just let it happen and enjoy the ride, its only going to happen once for the first time dont miss it. Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 772341
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next