UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba

Go down 
+3
KMX
mike205
CSnyder00
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Empty
PostSubject: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 5:08 pm

So here's my dilemma...

I had 9 very nice Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba. I took the sub-dominant male and a female with a crooked spine out of the main tank and left the dominant male and 6 females in a 75 gallon tank by themselves to get down. It's been two months and I have had no luck. I feed cichlid pellets, frozen bloodworms, and frozen spirullina brine shrimp. The pH is about 7.6 and the water is naturally hard here. I keep up with the water changes and the fish seem to be happy. I can't seem to understand why they don't want to breed for me.

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 5:49 pm

how many hiding places are there it might not be enough
whats the temp in the tank
also some of my fish are hard to get them to start but what i found worked for me is a 50% water change or more and also alittle salt seems to do it for me
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 6:43 pm

Try cold water changes. 50% every 1-2 weeks for the next few months. The change in water ( temp and water change) seem to trigger for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 9:38 pm

The cooler water simulates the rainy season which is when they spawn in nature.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 10:18 pm

K. I always add warmer water on water changes and I generally do about a 35 percent change. Regular temp is 80 degrees. I normally get fish to breed within a week or two of when I try. I've been trying with these guys for about 2 months. I'll try the cooler water and go from there. I know that warmer water works for my plecos and cories, so we'll try this.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime12/4/2010, 8:37 am

Here are some pics of the set-up they are in currently. Let me know what you guys think:

Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba DSC00032

Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba DSC00026

Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba DSC00017

Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba DSC00037

Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba DSC00010

Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba DSC00011

Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba DSC00012

Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba DSC00023

Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba DSC00025

Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba DSC00015

Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba DSC00016

Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba DSC00018

Enjoy!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime12/4/2010, 8:58 am

More rocks and caves and if you still have that sub dom male add him back in. Sometimes competition makes them get it in gear.

Ya that tank is entirely too open for breeding, dont stack much or you will hate yourself later but you need many more caves and hidey holes in there
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime12/4/2010, 6:16 pm

Sub-dom male is still around. More caves it shall be then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime12/4/2010, 6:22 pm

competition and cover does a bunch to get them breeding.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime12/4/2010, 6:34 pm

I just don't have a lot of caves, so I'm going to have to request some for Christmas... lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime12/4/2010, 7:04 pm

Go rock hunting, they are cichlids so you can pretty much use any old rock you find, alkaline or neutral they will like it.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime12/4/2010, 7:25 pm

I like the hollow rocks though because they are light. I hate using natural rocks because they are so heavy and can easily cause cracks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime12/4/2010, 7:35 pm

you don't have to stack much, they dont have to be big, just well placed
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime12/4/2010, 8:51 pm

I added two more caves and moved some stuff around and put the sub-dominant male back in the tank. I also did a 25% water change with cold water. It seems to have really created a lot of action. Hopefully this will do the trick!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime12/4/2010, 9:14 pm

action is good!!
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime12/4/2010, 9:43 pm

Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba 858205
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime12/4/2010, 9:44 pm

I feel like a breeding noob. I've had lots of fish breed and many different types. These have been the most stubborn.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime12/5/2010, 12:39 am

it doesn't matter how long or how many fish you have breed each new pair or batch seems to do something different. lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime12/5/2010, 1:23 am

Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba 858205 Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba 858205 Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba 858205 Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba 858205
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 8:33 pm

Well I'm several weeks in now and still no action. Not sure what else to do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 8:42 pm

lol! You could always show them how lol!
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 11:34 pm

Haha... rolling eye
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime12/12/2010, 10:17 am

patience my lil friend patience
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime12/19/2010, 2:01 pm

It's hard to be patient when they haven't even started...
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime12/19/2010, 2:03 pm

they could not have reached the breeding age yet or the water temp isnt just right have you googled them to read about there breeding habbits and what gets them going
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba   Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next