UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Dragon Gobie

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

Dragon Gobie Empty
PostSubject: Dragon Gobie   Dragon Gobie Icon_minitime9/3/2010, 10:44 am

I'm debating on another addition to the 'Tropical Wetland' ecosystem tank. A couple of Dragon Gobies and freshwater Puffers, possibly and African Leaf Fish as well.

This is a planted tank w/caves, 55G, kept at 80F, two '50G' in-tank Cascade filers going at full blast, pH at 7-7.1, well-cycled, 1Tbs salt per 5 gallons (slightly brackish). Current occupants are a mix of Bala Sharks, neon tetras, Skirt tetras, few small barbs, glo-danios, cory cats, a pair of dwarf german cichlids (mild mannered, don't chase anyone) dojo loach, striped loach and one little african frog.

I've been reading up on these fish and conditions seem right. I just want to make sure since these fish range from $10-18. I don't spend over $5 a fish easily (I'm a tight wad)
Back to top Go down
musiccitycichlids
Sergeant
Sergeant
musiccitycichlids

Favorite Fish: : Benthochromis Tricoti, All variants of Zaire Blue, Calvus, Trophs, Gobies, Rhamphochromis, Lethrinops, African Tigerfish(in my dreams)

Dragon Gobie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Gobie   Dragon Gobie Icon_minitime9/3/2010, 12:25 pm

Dragon gobies and puffers don't mix well long term. Puffers nip and pick at them.
Back to top Go down
J*Hawk*83
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
J*Hawk*83

Favorite Fish: : Venestus
Trigger
Lionfish
Wrasse

Dragon Gobie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Gobie   Dragon Gobie Icon_minitime9/3/2010, 1:22 pm

A dragon goby is really really peaceful, except with members of the same species. His suggested tankmates are Mollies and bumblebee gobies. I had 3, but not together. I kept mine with mollies. X2 with musiccitycichlids, puffers are really aggressive (despite being fluffy) and Leaf fish arent all that peaceful either.
Back to top Go down
Joe Reborn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Joe Reborn

Favorite Fish: : Red Festae, Frontosa, Red Zebra, Green Terror

Dragon Gobie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Gobie   Dragon Gobie Icon_minitime9/3/2010, 1:34 pm

With an outrageous amount of hiding places they will do good. I kept 2 Green Spoted puffers with a lot of peaceful fish and never had an issue i did however feed the puffers about 5 times a day. They always had nice plump bellies. Then i moved so i had to let them go.
Back to top Go down
Joe Reborn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Joe Reborn

Favorite Fish: : Red Festae, Frontosa, Red Zebra, Green Terror

Dragon Gobie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Gobie   Dragon Gobie Icon_minitime9/3/2010, 1:34 pm

Oh it was a 29gal tank btw.
Back to top Go down
J*Hawk*83
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
J*Hawk*83

Favorite Fish: : Venestus
Trigger
Lionfish
Wrasse

Dragon Gobie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Gobie   Dragon Gobie Icon_minitime9/3/2010, 1:38 pm

Joe, you had some over weight puffer fish???? I would pay to see them inflate! haha
Back to top Go down
musiccitycichlids
Sergeant
Sergeant
musiccitycichlids

Favorite Fish: : Benthochromis Tricoti, All variants of Zaire Blue, Calvus, Trophs, Gobies, Rhamphochromis, Lethrinops, African Tigerfish(in my dreams)

Dragon Gobie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Gobie   Dragon Gobie Icon_minitime9/3/2010, 3:59 pm

The problem with the dragon goby vs. other peaceful fish is that the gobies are virtually blind and are basically sitting targets. I would do Archer fish, or one of the faster brackish fish.
Back to top Go down

Dragon Gobie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Gobie   Dragon Gobie Icon_minitime9/3/2010, 5:02 pm

The corys and dojo need to be moved, neither like salt and 80F is way too hot for a dojo.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Dragon Gobie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Gobie   Dragon Gobie Icon_minitime9/3/2010, 6:32 pm

I added the salt after discussing it at length with Aquatics Unlimited http://www.bestfish.com/fwsalt.html

Through calculation the salinity level is currently .5 g/ml - which is at the top threashold for freshwater and the bare minimum for brackish water. (BTW this is the current level recommended for most freshwater aquarium species for necessary electrolites). I do realize that there is a margin of % error in calculations vs actual, so I'm patiently waiting for the refractometer & hydrometers that are on the science department's order form.

Behaviorally, the cories became even more lustrous in their shine and more aggressive eaters once it went to that level. They now push amongst the pair of Angelicus (striped) loaches when it's feeding time. It had been the loaches who were more eager eaters prior to that.

The dojos were a 'donation' from a friend who had been keeping them in a similarly heated tank for a year. But I'll consider your adivce. And providing I can actually catch them - my stepson may get his wish and get to stick them in his unheated 10G (average temp - 74F)

I have been taking a 'vote' of my classes on the three different potential new additions. Of course the dragon fish got the most votes. (all the boys... duh) Of course it's also the most expensive, and the one local store that carries them doesn't guarantee those particular fish..... Still debating in my mind......
Back to top Go down

Dragon Gobie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Gobie   Dragon Gobie Icon_minitime9/3/2010, 7:05 pm

a 10g is way too small for a dojo
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Dragon Gobie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Gobie   Dragon Gobie Icon_minitime9/18/2010, 2:38 pm

Talked myself out of all three additions. Ended up with another sharkminnow since the boys are fascinated by them and they are much cheaper.

Did manage to trick the dojos into swimming into a net for a treat. They are now in one of my friends unheated 20 since she needed some gentle bottom feeders in with her platies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dragon Gobie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Gobie   Dragon Gobie Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dragon Gobie
Page 1 of 1