UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

jewel cichlid colors are not so bright

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

jewel cichlid colors are not so bright  Empty
PostSubject: jewel cichlid colors are not so bright    jewel cichlid colors are not so bright  Icon_minitime8/31/2010, 11:39 pm

can anyone tell me why that is the color use to be real red and now they are like a grey color they just had fry 2 weeks ago i have had then seperated from the fry like 4 days after and there color isnt as vibrant as it was just wondering what the cause of that is
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: jewel cichlid colors are not so bright    jewel cichlid colors are not so bright  Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 6:30 am

I read about it and it has to do with the breeding process, they are suppose to turn strong coloring while breeding...im sure somebody else here experienced that before..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: jewel cichlid colors are not so bright    jewel cichlid colors are not so bright  Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 6:33 am

That's normal, they dull down when not in spawning mode.
Oh, never separate the pair, I did that once and they both stopped eating and died, I'm guessing from depression.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: jewel cichlid colors are not so bright    jewel cichlid colors are not so bright  Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 7:08 am

i agree!!
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

PostSubject: Re: jewel cichlid colors are not so bright    jewel cichlid colors are not so bright  Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 8:26 am

thanks guys and gals also i didnt seperate the pair just seperated them from the fry
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: jewel cichlid colors are not so bright    jewel cichlid colors are not so bright  Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 9:40 am

My experience with Jewels has been that when they are spawning great colors, when they are the only fish in the tank they tend to be just normal not so flashy. Had them in a community situation in a 55g as I was waiting for pairs to form then the dominant male always/for the most part sported spawning colors. When I took the fry away or moved the parents to another tank to get them to spawn again after a rest period I would put something as a dither which worked well. The male would start flashing his "I'm the man colors" female would get interested, 2 - 5 days new spawn. As soon as the fry were free swimming I'd remove the dither fish and let them raise the fry.

Yeah I know a dither fish with Jewels, but they were roughnecks that could hold their own. Used Auratus(?) kept a small group of them for a while until I did a major shift in gears
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

PostSubject: Re: jewel cichlid colors are not so bright    jewel cichlid colors are not so bright  Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 9:45 am

thats a great idea i will try that and as dither i would use something like a tetra or similar to that nature but fast right
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: jewel cichlid colors are not so bright    jewel cichlid colors are not so bright  Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 4:41 pm

a large tiger barb or 2 might work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: jewel cichlid colors are not so bright    jewel cichlid colors are not so bright  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

jewel cichlid colors are not so bright
Page 1 of 1