UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

qt tank info

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

qt tank info  Empty
PostSubject: qt tank info    qt tank info  Icon_minitime8/22/2010, 12:14 pm

just wondering if someone would spend the time explaining how to set up a qt tank or if anyone knows of a website that will explain it all to me

thanks
Back to top Go down
discuskent
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
discuskent

Favorite Fish: : discus arowana cichlids

qt tank info  Empty
PostSubject: Re: qt tank info    qt tank info  Icon_minitime8/22/2010, 12:22 pm

i keep a sponge filter going in one of my setup tanks so bacteria stays alive then when i need the tank i take half the water out of a cycled tank fill up with fresh water add the sponge and add a heater and wala bare bottom give them a place to hide instant tank im sure eveybody has their way so ill be interested to hear them too good luck
Back to top Go down

qt tank info  Empty
PostSubject: Re: qt tank info    qt tank info  Icon_minitime8/22/2010, 12:36 pm

I do the same thing but with a small hob filter. Once I'm done everything gets washed off well and gets a day in the sun to kill off any nasty's. Then the filter goes back on a main tank with NEW media to get the bacteria back.
Back to top Go down

qt tank info  Empty
PostSubject: Re: qt tank info    qt tank info  Icon_minitime8/22/2010, 12:48 pm

I do same as Fern with a HOB and sun bleaching, One person I use to know wold use cheap plastic containers from the dollar store and throw them out after each use.
Back to top Go down
Mlegion1988
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Mlegion1988

Favorite Fish: : Oscars, African Cichlids

qt tank info  Empty
PostSubject: Re: qt tank info    qt tank info  Icon_minitime8/22/2010, 5:18 pm

I do the same exact thing, I have a 15 gal. quarantine tank which works just fine, I use a HOB aqua clear filter, I do not keep the filter on the tank when there's no fish in it for the fact that they will die off eventually. : (

But yea Vixen and Fern great minds think alike : )
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa

qt tank info  Empty
PostSubject: Re: qt tank info    qt tank info  Icon_minitime8/26/2010, 9:37 pm

I have a 10 gallon QT tank for my aquarium fish, and a 600 gallon outside tank for my koi. But, they are pretty much set up the same.

The 10 gallon QT tank (which will be a 30 gallon soon) has an Aqua Clear HOB, as well as a sponge filter. I have some fake plants laying on it's side, and some pots for coverage for the new fish, however, I keep a canary fish in this tank. So, the tank is constantly running and gets daily upkeep. The canary fish is in there because if I get in a new fish, and it has something suppressed that does not come out in that fish, but spreads to the other it is noticed. Majority of the time, they get put in the tank, get a .3% salt dosage, and 2 weeks later they can be added to the new tank.

Same with The Koi QT, except more than 1 canary, and no plants or pots. Their QT procedure is 6 weeks long, with a series of heating and cooling the water on and off for 4 weeks, and then steady temp at 2 weeks. Dreaded KHV. It's never good.

I should also mention that ALL my fish get scraped and scoped for parasites.
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

qt tank info  Empty
PostSubject: Re: qt tank info    qt tank info  Icon_minitime8/26/2010, 11:16 pm

what is "KHV"?
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa

qt tank info  Empty
PostSubject: Re: qt tank info    qt tank info  Icon_minitime8/26/2010, 11:18 pm

elfwolfe wrote:
what is "KHV"?

Koi Herpes Virus.. It's only spread through Carp, Koi, and Goldfish.

But it's fatal, and highly contagious.

You get KHV, you are starting at square one.. as in throwing all your tanks and everything away, and getting new.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

qt tank info  Empty
PostSubject: Re: qt tank info    qt tank info  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

qt tank info
Page 1 of 1