UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Why do fish yawn? Or Stretch the mouth?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Why do fish yawn? Or Stretch the mouth? Empty
PostSubject: Why do fish yawn? Or Stretch the mouth?   Why do fish yawn? Or Stretch the mouth? Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 9:40 am

I was browsing the web and seen this question so I thought I would do some looking around and this is what I found.

To understand why fish yawn you first must know how fish breath. We all know that fish have gills but do you really know how they work? Water only holds 5% of the oxygen that air does and is 800 times denser than air so fish must have a very efficient means of getting oxygen and using energy. Most fish have a buccal cavity which they use to pump water across their gills. As the water flows over the many blood-filled gill filaments, CO2 is released and O2 is absorbed all by simple diffusion through the gill walls.

The gill filaments actually strain the water so they will acquire small particulate matter in them too. When a fish "yawns" it is forcing water to backwash across the gills cleaning the trash off that is blocking the filaments. So now you know. When you see them yawning they are just doing a little housekeeping. The more you understand your fish and its environment the better chances you have of keeping them for a long happy fish life.

usafishbox usafishbox usafishbox
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Why do fish yawn? Or Stretch the mouth?   Why do fish yawn? Or Stretch the mouth? Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 9:52 am

very interesting
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why do fish yawn? Or Stretch the mouth?   Why do fish yawn? Or Stretch the mouth? Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 10:29 am

Wow that's cool! You learn something new everyday! Thanks for the info K
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why do fish yawn? Or Stretch the mouth?   Why do fish yawn? Or Stretch the mouth? Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 10:40 am

Way KOOL.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do fish yawn? Or Stretch the mouth?   Why do fish yawn? Or Stretch the mouth? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why do fish yawn? Or Stretch the mouth?
Page 1 of 1